Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 03:08   #16

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Re: Any Experience with Hybrid Parallel Engine (Beta)?

I just saw this thread. Antares Catamarans just announced last week a Parallel Hybrid using the Hybrid Marine setup with Yanmar 40hp engines.

The link provides for more information. There is a lot of details on the design, and 'why' this solution was chosen. Overall, the Parallel hybrid is more efficient than other hybrid designs, most importantly provides redundancy when extra propulsion is needed.

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:20   #17

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysailor View Post
I'm still interested in the Beta hybrid option, for the following purpose: a 38-40' motorsailer with five 200W solar panels. Lithium battery bank.

Goal is for

1: energy independence utilizing the generator function of the electric motor powered by the diesel supplemented by solar power
2: improved efficiency of the diesel engine at low and modest speeds by adding generator loads
3. motorsailing using the electric motor to quietly improve sailing performance
4. Quiet docking and mooring maneuvers
5. Elimination of a stand alone genset
6. Redundancy of propulsion through a single shaft

My thought is that this application takes advantages of the hybrid's advantages, without underestimating its limitations.
I would add to your list. Hydro Regeneration is another benefit of a Parallel hybrid. If you use the curves, at 7kts avg of sailing speed (easier to obtain on a catamaran in most conditions), you generate 640watts/hr (both props). That's 15kW for a 24hr passage. This is an advantage for those boats that are sailing around the world (like I am) vs. staying in one place. We've put 45,000 miles on our boat. I wish I had Watt & Sea or similar much sooner!!

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:03   #18

Boat: MacGregor 26S, 1993

I sail with an electric drive, 34' sloop. In my experience with this boat and it's configuration, I would look forward to a hybrid system, where an electric motor will get you in and around a marina at modest speed, plus quietly adding to sailing performance upwind. Then a diesel will be called upon for higher speeds and/or longer runs plus recharge. Speaking of recharge, relying on one source is foolhardy. You need a combination of solar, wind, regen, tow gen, fossil fuel generator, and patience.
ghochgraf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, engine