Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 11:53   #1

Any Experience with Hanse's E-Motion Rudder Drive?

Apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. I've read comments on Cruisers & Sailing Forums for years but never posted until now.

I know there is an old post on this from 2016 referencing advancements in electric propulsion, but now that Hanse's 315 electric version has been around for a few years, does anyone has first-hand experience with Hanse's e-motion rudder drive?

I'm very familiar with the electric vs. diesel debate (and that diesel still very much wins in the hearts and minds of the majority of experienced sailors). But for someone taking only short day trips out of tightly-packed marinas in the DC/MD/VA area of the US, is electric finally beginning to make sense?

I've seen reviews online suggesting Hanse's e-propulsion collab with Torqeedo results in a max speed of just over 6 knots, a range of 30 nm at 4.5 knots, and a whisper power generator that would allow for hundreds of additional miles on the 26 gal tank. I've also read that Torqeedo has improved on reliability in the past few years. I'm trying to live in a more environmentally friendly way and am willing to pay for it (I know electric does not financially "make sense" yet, and I don't mind being a BIT of a pioneer IF newer technology performs as-promised. I also like the idea of the peace and quiet, no oil changes, and less diesel smell. But I haven't met anyone with firsthand experience with Hanse's electric propulsion system.

Thank you for any advice/experience you can share.
SV_Belafonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Any Experience with Hanse's E-Motion Rudder Drive?

Welcome to the forum, Belafonte.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The core question has been range. Improvements in Lithium batteries have shifted the equation toward electric propulsion, but not solved the whole problem. There is a difference between what you would routinely use electric propulsion for (getting in and out of the marina, say) and what you want as backup (keeping you off that rock jetty).

I think that people who thought that a few solar panels solved the problem have ended up discouraged, but the addition of a genset capable of running the electric motor(s) without a prior battery charge solves the problem, because the boat is then no more limited than one with a diesel. Yes, diesel is more efficient than diesel-battery-motor, but it's in the realm of serious consideration now. Solar can certainly make a contribution to the design.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The core question has been range. Improvements in Lithium batteries have shifted the equation toward electric propulsion, but not solved the whole problem. There is a difference between what you would routinely use electric propulsion for (getting in and out of the marina, say) and what you want as backup (keeping you off that rock jetty).

I think that people who thought that a few solar panels solved the problem have ended up discouraged, but the addition of a genset capable of running the electric motor(s) without a prior battery charge solves the problem, because the boat is then no more limited than one with a diesel. Yes, diesel is more efficient than diesel-battery-motor, but it's in the realm of serious consideration now. Solar can certainly make a contribution to the design.
Thank you for the very helpful perspective - much appreciated. Adding a genset as a backup sounds like a good fix, especially for safety (and much simpler than Oceanvolt's hybrid propulsion systems). Maybe in a few years' time the technology will improve and we won't need a backup anymore.
SV_Belafonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, rudder