Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 14:22   #1

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52
Any experience with electric pods? Combi-Nautic?

Forumites:
I am considering fitting an electric pod to a little long-keeled sailing boat (6ms). As it has a high transom, an outboard is not feasible. I am aware that a diesel has many advantages, but for me there are significant disadvantages; I have had several, from new to old - so please don’t offer any advice in that regard.

If a pod is mounted on say starboard under the run aft in line with the keel, will I get noticeable creeping to port in fwd? can I offset this by angling the pod a little to direct thrust a little bit to starboard? (I have seen many old long-keelers with a shaft coming out of the garboard area to stbd, with the shaft directed to angle the thrust quite a bit to stbd.) if this is done, doesn’t it mean that when turning to stbd the rudder will catch some of the prop-stream and the boat will spin to stbd, but that turning to port will be ponderous?

If I direct the stream directly astern, I could put some balance on the rudder (although it is transom-hung, there is an aperture already in the keel for a prop) and that would make turning to port a bit more effective - any thoughts?

The props on pods are small, and they spin at c 1450 rpm: wd the direction of rotation make any difference?

One range of pods available is made by Combi of the Netherlands. Does anyone have experience of these?

(I have a Torqeedo outboard, so their pod is a possibility, but there are some shortcomings in respect of cost, charging and compliance with my local standards (NZ).)

Best wishes to all, Keith
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, enc