Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2016, 20:09   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Anodes and Air Conditioning

Most boats have anodes due to dissimilar under water metals in the drive line, or just to protect what is there. However, I have zero immersed metals when my twin outboards are retracted. No anodes, except on the motors.

Now I have installed AC. The through hulls and most of the piping is plastic, but the strainer and AC unit contains some metal parts. The factory (yes I called engineering) says follow ABYC, but I can't see where any of that referrers to this case (no submerged metals, only strainer and AC).

Thoughts? Mounting and external zinc seems awkward. If the only contact is bronze in the strainer and copper in the AC, does it matter?
Old 15-04-2016, 15:38   #2

Re: Anodes and Air Conditioning

No one? I could easily add an anode at a tee if needed. Is this ever done for plumbing? I know there are similar systems some times installed to reduce plumbing biofouling.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a557490.pdf

Clearly, unprotected copper pipe fouls less, but at the cost of corrosion:

And even the anode types makes a difference:
Old 17-04-2016, 16:17   #3

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Most boats have anodes due to dissimilar under water metals in the drive line, or just to protect what is there. However, I have zero immersed metals when my twin outboards are retracted. No anodes, except on the motors.

Now I have installed AC. The through hulls and most of the piping is plastic, but the strainer and AC unit contains some metal parts. The factory (yes I called engineering) says follow ABYC, but I can't see where any of that referrers to this case (no submerged metals, only strainer and AC).

Thoughts? Mounting and external zinc seems awkward. If the only contact is bronze in the strainer and copper in the AC, does it matter?
An interesting question. Maybe if you look carefully the coil may be isolated. Have you measured resistance to ground? What's its alloy? Maybe something special?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 17:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you add say a pencil anode, it of course has to be connected electrically to the coil.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 19:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you add say a pencil anode, it of course has to be connected electrically to the coil.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Obviously. The strainer is bonded. I question if it is needed, if the only metals are bronze and copper, and honestly, it is only the copper I am concerned about.

One option, I guess, is to watch the bronze for evidence of de-zinc.
Old 18-04-2016, 20:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Generally you'll have rubber or plastic tubing between the strainer and the copper coil. As such there is no current path to cause galvanic corrosion. For galvanic corrosion to occur both metals would need to be in physical contact with each other. No contact, no galvanic corrosion.

Anodes are not needed, generally for AC.

Bronze and copper are practically the same in the galvanic series, so no real galvanic action. Yellow brass on the other hand would dezinc.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 16:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Generally you'll have rubber or plastic tubing between the strainer and the copper coil. As such there is no current path to cause galvanic corrosion. For galvanic corrosion to occur both metals would need to be in physical contact with each other. No contact, no galvanic corrosion.

Anodes are not needed, generally for AC.

Bronze and copper are practically the same in the galvanic series, so no real galvanic action. Yellow brass on the other hand would dezinc.
One concern is stray current. The boat has a galvanic isolation, so in principle it is NOT connected through the shore power to other boats, only to a copper ground plate.

Tags
air conditioning