Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 05:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 and 18ft putt putt launch
Ancient Yanmar 2QM15

Hello,
I have chanced upon an old Yanmar that may be worth resurrecting. The engine comes without the standard Kanzaki KBW10 gearbox. I can get my hands on a good Kanzaki KH18 transmission which I believe was standard issue for the 3QM30. I hoping there may an ancient mariner out there who is familiar with this technology who may be able to advise if it's possible to mate the KH18 to the 2QM15. Is this a bolt on exercise or would I need to ,e.g bolt a 3QM flywheel housing onto the 2QM block? Or maybe it's just not possible?
The other thing I'm curious about is availability mechanical components for the 2QN engine, namely aftermarket stuff. The cost of genuine parts is outrageous. I have previously rebuilt a Yanmar YSB12 using many aftermarket parts out of Taiwan and China. These cost a fraction of the genuine stuff. That engine is still going strong and will surely outlive me. I think some parts for 2QM such as pistons, rings and maybe liners could the same as the YSB 12. Both engines have a 75mm bore. More research required but if anyone has explored this previously then I'm all ears.
Thanks in anticipation.
pullark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 05:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Ancient Yanmar 2QM15

Welcome, Pullark.

I hope someone has specific advice. You seem to be on the route to finding the parts that the original designer used off the shelf. No one is going to go to the expense of manufacturing apart, say a cylinder liner, when a stock one is available of the right size. One tool I've used in finding those parts has been Googling them and looking at images, until I spotted what that engineer used. Yes, Kubota and truck parts for Universal M-25 engines (my genset) are available for about 1/10th the cost of parts from Westerbeke.
Old 24-08-2019, 05:45   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard CF, pullark.
Interesting first post. I think but don't know, the 2QM15 uses the same liner / piston as the YSE/YSB/YSM 8.
There will be other posters along soon who know more than me about the 2QM15.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 12:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullark View Post
Hello,
I have chanced upon an old Yanmar that may be worth resurrecting. The engine comes without the standard Kanzaki KBW10 gearbox. I can get my hands on a good Kanzaki KH18 transmission which I believe was standard issue for the 3QM30. I hoping there may an ancient mariner out there who is familiar with this technology who may be able to advise if it's possible to mate the KH18 to the 2QM15. Is this a bolt on exercise or would I need to ,e.g bolt a 3QM flywheel housing onto the 2QM block? Or maybe it's just not possible?
The other thing I'm curious about is availability mechanical components for the 2QN engine, namely aftermarket stuff. The cost of genuine parts is outrageous. I have previously rebuilt a Yanmar YSB12 using many aftermarket parts out of Taiwan and China. These cost a fraction of the genuine stuff. That engine is still going strong and will surely outlive me. I think some parts for 2QM such as pistons, rings and maybe liners could the same as the YSB 12. Both engines have a 75mm bore. More research required but if anyone has explored this previously then I'm all ears.
Thanks in anticipation.
I'm not sure about the liners but the piston/rings are the same as YS8 series
YSB12 has 85mm bore FYI.
Whereabouts on the planet are you?
2QM15 has a good rep, longer lasting than the newer ones. Well worth rebuilding IF you can get aftermarket parts or are USA based
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 15:20   #5

Thank You for responses guys. I stand corrected on bore size and good to know some YS8 parts work. I'm in Australia and I have good contacts in Asia for parts. Far too expensive to buy stuff in first world countries like Oz or US!
I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on the gearbox compatibility question?
Cheers
Old 24-08-2019, 16:02   #6

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

cant give you an answer on whether a kh18 will fit but...the 2qm20 and 3qm30 shared 2 gearbox types, the yp7 and yp10, indicating commonality between those 2 engines as far as transmission fit; if the kh18 fit the 3qm30, there is a possibility it will fit a 2qm15. However there are some minor differences between the 2qm15 and the 2qm20, as there are between the 20 and 30. hopefully this will trigger a reminder to someone else who has made these connections...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 18:34   #7

Further to the gearbox question, I don't have a firm answer but as Charliehows posts, the 2QM20 can have a YP10 or a KBW10A while the 3QM30 can have a YP10 or a KH18.

This suggests to me the YP10 is tough enough for both the 2QM20 and the 3QM30 but the KBW10A is not tough enough for the 3QM30.

It also suggests that physically all three (YP10, KBW10A & KH18) can be mounted on the 2QM20 and 3QM30. As the 2QM15 comes with the KBW10, I expect the KH18 would mount to the 2QM15. I don't know if there is any difference between a KBW10 and a KBW10A but I guess there isn't.

FWIW, the YP10 has a single disc wet clutch while the KBW10 and KH18 have multi-disc wet clutches.

Do you have a 2QM15 service manual (I don't)?

I do have a parts list for the 2QM15 and another parts list for the 2QM20/3QM30.
There is a service manual for the 2QM20/3QM30 in the library section on CF.

I have a YP10 gearbox split off a 2QM20 engine if you need to confirm any measurements.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 24-08-2019, 19:20   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thank You for responses guys. I stand corrected on bore size and good to know some YS8 parts work. I'm in Australia and I have good contacts in Asia for parts. Far too expensive to buy stuff in first world countries like Oz or US!
I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on the gearbox compatibility question?
Cheers
I have the 2qm15 workshop manual. PM me if you need it.
FYI I find USA prices are 1/2 of NZ prices for parts you cant find aftermarket.
Sorry don't know about gearbox but Wotname gave you the good oil I reckon
Old 25-08-2019, 16:11   #9

Thanks Wotname. I think your logic works and I will get the KH18 gearbox and see how we go. I'm getting it at "mates rates" so if it doesn't work I'm sure I can sell on. Still a few 3QMs out there.
Old 25-08-2019, 17:04   #10

^^ sounds like a good plan
Please let us know how it works out - either here or by PM if you prefer.

I will be (or should be) rebuilding a 2QM20 sooner or later this year.

FWIW, I understand the 2QM20 is based on the Yanmar 2TR series of tractor engines as fitted to the Yanmar YM2000 tractors but I can't vouch for this.

I don't know anything of the history of the 2QM15 but I would be interested to know more if you have any knowledge of it.
Old 30-08-2019, 21:49   #11

Well....I acquired a KH18 gearbox, damper/drive plate and flywheel flange housing. I can confirm that 2QM15 uniquely uses the KBW10 as standard and there is no way a KH18 transmission will fit. KH18 flywheel housing will not bolt onto 2qm15 engine block. It's significantly larger. Even damper plates are different. Input shafts are 10 teeth splines (KBW10) and 26 teeth on KH18. So, in conclusion,2QM15 uses KBW 10 trans, 3QM30 and 3QM and 2QM use KH18 trans and 2QM20 uses another trans the model number of which I'm unsure. I'm now the proud owner of a KH18 which is of no use to me but no doubt someone will pay me good money for it some day.
Cheers
Old 31-08-2019, 01:56   #12
Marine Service Provider

Bugger!
Thanks for posting result. So is the rebuild on hold until you find a KBW10?
Old 31-08-2019, 02:19   #13

Quote:
Well....I acquired a KH18 gearbox, damper/drive plate and flywheel flange housing. I can confirm that 2QM15 uniquely uses the KBW10 as standard and there is no way a KH18 transmission will fit. KH18 flywheel housing will not bolt onto 2qm15 engine block. It's significantly larger. Even damper plates are different. Input shafts are 10 teeth splines (KBW10) and 26 teeth on KH18. So, in conclusion,2QM15 uses KBW 10 trans, 3QM30 and 3QM and 2QM use KH18 trans and 2QM20 uses another trans the model number of which I'm unsure. I'm now the proud owner of a KH18 which is of no use to me but no doubt someone will pay me good money for it some day.
Cheers
That's a shame and another thanks for posting the result - very much appreciated.

FWIW - My 2QM20 has a YP10 gearbox and I will count the teeth of the input shaft tomorrow.

Curious - you mention a 3QM30 and also a 3QM - I never knew there was two different models and I can't find any manual for a 3QM (or 2QM). I would appreciate any links you might have for any info or manuals for a 3QM / 2QM.
Old 31-08-2019, 02:29   #14

I got my information from various sources but probably the best is the detailed parts diagrams (link below). I think 2QM and 3QM perhaps early versions? The gearboxes shown look like early examples too with their big clunky change levers.
I'll press on with engine rebuild. Bit of a rainy day project. No hurry to get it done.
Cheers
Kevin

http://www.lsm-diesel.dk/2012/yanmar...qm20-3qm30.pdf
Old 31-08-2019, 02:37   #15

^^ great, thanks - I keep it for reading on a rainy day

And work out if I have a 2QM or a 2QM20 (????).

Tags
2qm15, yanmar