Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29   #31

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Am I totally screwed?

This thread has gotten so long very quickly, so I don't know if it's been said, but if you put a heavy grease on the tap the chips will stay with the tap. Also put a tiny wad of paper in the hole that can be dug out with tweezers.

You don't need 100% threads for it to squash the cooper washer. And just buy a new banjo fitting, that way a wrench can be used properly.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:32   #32

Re: Am I totally screwed?

Lots of opinions here, right? Yes, eventually, you want to do as much as you can yourself (check out "Diesel Mechanic in a Day" and other classes at Orange Coast College School of Sailing and Seamanship in Costa Mesa). The other way to learn is to keep hiring mechanics until you find a good one and then watch and learn.

Best is to do both. Yes, it costs, but it's $$ well spent.
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:56   #33

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Am I totally Screwed?

This is NOT a permanent fix...thread Teflon tape on the bolt, and hope it stops the leak until a permanent fix is obtained; a couple of turns of Teflon would do. Good luck!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:09   #34

Grease on the thread chaser is a good move. I would also magnetize it.
ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:20   #35

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I got a rebuilt Cav pump from Wilmington, Ca the day after they received my pump as an exchange. It was around $600.00. swdieselinc.com Your pump is not worthless as a core yet but it may need a rebuild and the leak may be an indicator.
Ask S&W who's a decent mechanic that comes to MDR, your old guy will just cost you more money.
No affiliation, just happy.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:23   #36

Sorry guys but teflon is a bad idea!
First, you don't want to get any of that teflon into the fuel line or your screwed again.
Second these are banjo (compression) fittings not tapered pipe. There is no sealing in the 'straight' threads, only at the washer.

Tapered threads are compression threads and need the teflon to tighten w/o galling, and to take up any differences in the surfaces. And even at that I prefer Rectorseal #5 except for brass and SS fittings. And SS even has its own series of tape.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32   #37

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Hi fellow boater sorry to see the mess that was left for you to fix but the good news is the hyd head is made of hardend steel you cant strip the threads they sometimes chip but not normaly the banjo fitting is soft the part # is 7123-501 for the fitting you showed remove the pump and take it to a auth service dealer for delphi pumps it can be fixed there are torque specs for all bolts and fitting on pump the dealer can give them to you or you can pm me and I will. I own advanced diesel systems a fuel injection rebuilding center for all makes in montague mi good luck
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:38   #38

I would sue the mechanic in small claims court if the work was done in a jurisdiction that has them.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:43   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilot45 View Post
Hi fellow boater sorry to see the mess that was left for you to fix but the good news is the hyd head is made of hardend steel you cant strip the threads they sometimes chip but not normaly the banjo fitting is soft the part # is 7123-501 for the fitting you showed remove the pump and take it to a auth service dealer for delphi pumps it can be fixed there are torque specs for all bolts and fitting on pump the dealer can give them to you or you can pm me and I will. I own advanced diesel systems a fuel injection rebuilding center for all makes in montague mi good luck
Yeah! The threads don't look stripped too me either. But if the meccy screwed that buggered up banjo in there it may have left some galling.

The OP is trying not to remove the pump due to costs and would like it done in place if possible. If it's hardened as you say a tap would just clean out the threads.

The next question is; what size and TPI is this fitting. For me, as a Machinist, this is so simple to fix. But I'm 1000 miles away.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:55   #40

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Yes you can run a tap in the hole with grease in it and a small piece of paper towel in bottom of hole then flush with break clean or carb cleaner get a new fitting and new high pressure washers they are made out of aluminum so they crush one time use only torque to 25 -30 ft lbs replace all of the banjo bolts with new should fix leaks if thats where it was leaking from
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08   #41

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Did a CAV rebuild Replacement on a W-Beke last winter. The pump was $500 exchange. Depending on the access it can be a major PITA.

Teflon tape might work for a few hours but when it comes off inside you are screwd. Use only on tapered threads.

The housing looks ok. Clean it upand use NEW Banjo bolts and NEW copper washers $25 tops. Also get a new bleed screw that is in the body of the pump. It was likely the source of the original leak.

Also there is a plate on the side that has a stupid gasket design. Find an injectiion shop and talk to them. These are widely used in tractors and other equipment. Don't mention "Marine" untill they ask. Give them the base engine (Perkins?) numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAV_1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	52764  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36   #42

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Has it been mentioned that you don't have to pull the engine to time the injection pump?
Just throwing that out there if it hasn't been discussed.
Be very careful about anything getting inside the pump such as small bits of steel, copper, etc..
If you remove the pump yourself then make note of the timing mark and where it is on the housing before any rotation can occur, don't turn the engine once the pump has been removed and then replace with the timing mark in exactly the same position. Be very certain you don't rotate the engine even one partical of a degree with the pump removed.
If it were me I'd get a rebuild/exchange pump and do the work myself.
kind regards,
Old 12-01-2013, 11:53   #43

Another tip:

If you have a wet/dry vacuum, use that to work around the holes and keep it running close to any work around the holes. Then also suck out the holes before putting fittings into them. DO NOT USE this for gasoline engines!!! BOOM!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:55   #44

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My first suggestion is to stop useing the guys who avertize on the boards in your marina with hand made signs!! and get ahold of a REAL Diesel Mechanic!! Anyone who would use vice grips to work on Injector Pump is a Idiot!! The first thing any good workman would have done is clean the pump before working on it !!! Looks to me that the pump is fixable by a competant person or company!! Maybe it's time to spend a Little money to save a bunch later on !! Just sayin, ya get what ya pay for !!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:29   #45

Late in, and haven't read everything. The male part looks f'ed and should be replaced, the female threads looked ok in the photo. As already pointed out, the seal on a banjo bolt comes from deformation of copper washers, not from the threads.

Having worked one spring for a good marine mechanic, I have some sympathy for them; even they have the occasional bad day when nothing goes right. But I know enough not to use vice-grips on an engine, especially on parts meant to be re-installed... Yeesh.

[edit] With the miracle of hindsight and the edit button, I question the mechanic's original approach of simply tightening everything. I think I would thoroughly clean the area as much as possible with engine degreaser, then run it and look for the SOURCE of the leak. And fix that.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote