Just to follow up. I replace the primary and the racor - the latter with a 30 micron instead of the 2 micron. Then I replaced the fuel pump with a fasco.
HOLY SMOKES so much fuel came out the bleed screw it shot out. In retrospect had a MAJOR clog in the filters and probably the 72 micron fuel pump filter as well as well as a possible fuel pump partial failure. This would have been super obvious when I was doing my bleeding before, but I have never seen what the flowrate was supposed to look like.
I also saw bubble come out of the bleed screw fuel like a soda can, so I now know what an air leak looks like - I did NOT have one. I think bleeding helped initially because it let the pump catch up somewhat against the clogged filters for the engine
to start - at which point maybe the engine
vacuum took over and made it work
better? I think the next problem that would have happened would have been while underway the engine would stop. What really threw me off was the old owner, an Alaskan fisherman saying that "the fuel system is clean" and telling me to look elsewhere for the problem.
I put a vacuum gauge on the engine side of the racor and will monitor
that. It reads 0hg when the engine is idling running now. The fittings on the racor have black sediment on them, and I'm 100% sure I have deposits in my tank and pickup tube. However, I cannot get the tank nor the pickup tube out (under the cabin
sole) without removing the engine. Given that there is only 600 hours on this 19y/o engine and tank (or 30 filll-ups) I assume that the deposits aren't that bad, maybe 1/32" (after rubbing a stick on the bottom of the tank and looking at it).
I dropped in some biocide and plan to replace my racor filter frequently. Were I to head
, I would take a different approach and get a polishing system built in, a new tank, etc, but as it is now, it's mostly a day cruiser.
Thanks again for the help.