Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2008, 13:20   #16

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
Slacker, I did it three years ago but I'll look for identifying marks when I'm on the boat this weekend (or if I kept the K&N reciept). The extension is a piece of exaust tubing I cut a few slits in it just like the original dome cleaner had then clamped it in place with a hose clamp just like my original. I wish I had your problem of being in Mexico though!
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 07:38   #17

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
I looked up the information on my K&N filter. FYI I have a 1983 4-108 with the heat exchanger as part of the exaust manifold but I imagine that this combination would work on other 4-108's also since the manual shows the same type of dome air cleaner on other 4-108's (measure twice cut once). Sorry to say I could not find my original sales reciept and the numbers on the unit (FO22A6) don't seem to mean anything to the search engine at the K&N site. I'm pretty sure it is an RC-650 however as it looks the same and has the correct dimensions. I attached the filter to the engine with a piece of exaust tubing 4" long 2 1/4" ID 2 3/8" OD. The centerline of my engine vent hose connection hole is drilled 1 3/4" from the bottom of the tube (best fit up for my layout). I cut slits around the bottom of the pipe with a hack saw to match the original dome filter then hose clamped it in place. I treaded a hose adapter into the hole I drilled and sealed it with some fuel resistant sealant (from NAPA I think). As K&N says I streched it slightly to fit during installation on the pipe and since the one I bought has an offset I turned it to be over the top of the engine then tightened the hose clamps. If other's have a different layout more space, less space etc. the K&N site has a nice search engine for looking up filters by dimension and type (round, oval, etc.). I did this same modification on a 30 HP Universal diesel on my last boat 12 years ago and found it easy to match a K&N filter to the dimensions (had to use a parts book back then). Hope this helps.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 14:18   #18

Boat: KP 44
AIR FILTER

Thanks for all the great information. It looks like the RC-0650 or RU-680 will fit the bill. We spend 6 months cruising on the boat in Mexico and 6 months back here in the states working every year. Its always a challange figuring out a new project when the boat is that far away. The parts list we make before we come home are quite detailed, but we always manage to miss something.
Thanks again.

Mike
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:12   #19

Your seas sure must be different from our seas, cause up here there ain't no dust on the sea, so we don't see the need for an air filter on our boat engines

OK, I could appreciate one if I was off the coast of, say, North Africa, and a Ghibli was blowing, but apart from that
Oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel