Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 17:00   #1

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Advice on MD2B

So I spent the day disconnecting my motor. I now have the heads off, everything is disconnected and laying on its side, on the floor of my boat.

My plan was to take the oil pan off, disconnect the connecting rods for the pistons, and work on getting the pistons unseized in the shop. No oil pan.
The side covers are the only way to get to the crank. I took them off, and can see the conecting rods, but I can not get the crank to a spot where i can get the bolts off. (due to the pistons being seized)

Sorry if this does not make sense. If it does any advice would be great.

I don't have the money for a new one, and am having trouble finding a deal on a used one. Maybe I should just post an add for a FREE one...........
Old 14-02-2013, 18:03   #2

Re: Advice on MD2B

Since you already have the heads off, you might want to try pouring a mixture of 50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid into the stuck cylinders and let it sit for a few days. If it drains thru into the crankcase then pump out and re-pour into the cylinders. Then take a 2by4 or any piece of wood that will fit down into the cylinder and give it a bunch of whacks with a sledge hammer or lead hammer. Freeing up a rusted diesel is not a gentle process, and takes some big effort. If you can bolt some kind of a bar to the flywheel and try moving it back and forth until the piston begins to move, That is another option. The third method (use all three) is to take a propane torch (after the acetone mixture is removed and a fire extinguisher is handy) and heat the top of the piston as hot as you think you can and then blow cold air on it. The expansion and contraction helps to break the rust loose. If you get it freed up, you can pull the pistons and see if the barrel needs to be bored or if the pistons are damaged from the rough treatment, or if the rings are broken, or if you are into risk taking you can put the heads back on and see if it runs without too much blue smoke. I have freed up a number of old diesels using these methods and sometimes the results are good, and sometimes not good, but a seized diesel is no good for anything but ballast. Good Luck with it._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 18:12   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Grant, thanks for the tips, I have tried all those, except the heat and cold air. I may try that one though.
Old 17-02-2013, 17:16   #4

I just pulled an MD3B out of my boat. Many of the parts are interchangeable with the MD2B. Let me know if you need any used parts.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 15:19   #5

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Grant, thanks for the tips, I have tried all those, except the heat and cold air. I may try that one though.
how did you get the heads off? the oil supply Pipe is in the way when if I try to take the heads off mine.
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I saw an old post. I need a hand crank mechanism Danny. 310-489-8542
Dugantone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2b