Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40   #91

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Adding Used Motor Oil to Diesel Fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
I respect your opinion 64pilot.
Plesse tell me where that info is published. Yes the numbers ... i fall to understand how a super yacht usage of what 10-20 times our little boats makes those numbers plausible in your defense of them .
Now if you try to defend the use of low cost crude in big ships I’d be inclined to say , well hey thats a good place for the waste oil of all kinds including fast food frying oil..
Incidentally, if countries were even at all seriously interested in recycling, we would be seeing retu for deposit containers made mandatory.
In 80-90s recycling glass had 3cent a pound recycling value. Could make money on it as opposed to paying landfill fees. Then mandatory recycling put little guys out of business.
Soda/pop bottles with a deposit and cleaned and reused. Waxed paper milk cartons. It has become a convenience driven world.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 13:59   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Soda/pop bottles with a deposit and cleaned and reused. Waxed paper milk cartons. It has become a convenience driven world.

You know the wax paper can and does work for almost everything that is plastic bagged now, like cereal and saltines, even straws.
Then do we really need that $1 stapler we bought be displayed in a large see thru bomb proof covering so it could be hung up?

It’s not been that long ago that almost nothing was plastic wrapped, and yet it worked, so it came in a small cardboard box, you could open it to inspect the product still.
I’m all for a .25c or so deposit on bottles and no more plastic or cans. For those that cry that’s too expensive, you get it back, it’s only expensive if you don’t turn it in. I figure at 4 for a dollar more people would be more likely to turn it in, if that doesn’t work, then I bet $1 each would.

We used to attend “fests” in Germany and back then when you ate. You ate off of real plates and silverware, you left a 5 mark deposit, but you got it back when you turned it back in, and you know what? Eating off real plates and silverware as opposed to plastic and styrofoam is nice, real nice.
So McDonalds would have to hire another person to load and unload the dishwasher, so what’s wrong with that?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 14:20   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know the wax paper can and does work for almost everything that is plastic bagged now, like cereal and saltines, even straws.
Then do we really need that $1 stapler we bought be displayed in a large see thru bomb proof covering so it could be hung up?

It’s not been that long ago that almost nothing was plastic wrapped, and yet it worked, so it came in a small cardboard box, you could open it to inspect the product still.
I’m all for a .25c or so deposit on bottles and no more plastic or cans. For those that cry that’s too expensive, you get it back, it’s only expensive if you don’t turn it in. I figure at 4 for a dollar more people would be more likely to turn it in, if that doesn’t work, then I bet $1 each would.

We used to attend “fests” in Germany and back then when you ate. You ate off of real plates and silverware, you left a 5 mark deposit, but you got it back when you turned it back in, and you know what? Eating off real plates and silverware as opposed to plastic and styrofoam is nice, real nice.
So McDonalds would have to hire another person to load and unload the dishwasher, so what’s wrong with that?
Unfortunately few see it that way. I'm not an eco. freak however the future generations are going to find them selves in deep ****.
Old 04-12-2019, 18:00   #94

OK Boomer. When you realize that it's you too and not just future generations who are affected, you'll be a lifelong eco freak too.
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 20:30   #95

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When we cruised Mexico, there was a deposit on cervesa bottles.
We all have seen the commercials for Corona and Pacifico where the slice of lime gets shoved into the bottle.
I once got a case of Pacifico's and one bottle had an old lime slice in the beer from the previous filling.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 21:03   #96

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
When we cruised Mexico, there was a deposit on cervesa bottles.
We all have seen the commercials for Corona and Pacifico where the slice of lime gets shoved into the bottle.
I once got a case of Pacifico's and one bottle had an old lime slice in the beer from the previous filling.

That's why I brew my own beer.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:49   #97

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

OK ive read the title and the first post, i haven't time to read everything in here...

however i do work for a machinery manufacturer and we use 25-600hp diesels. i have seen several times in the 40-65 hp range where the 'positive crankcase pressure' system will malfunction and crankcase oil mist will be fed into the inlet manifold. when this happens the mist i snot regulated by the injection pump and the engine increases speed, the increased speed makes more 'mist' available to the vacume created in the inlet manifold. and the engine runs away and is often destroyed (runs away = uncontrollable high rpm). so if the question is can the engine run on engine oil the answer is yes. there are many old Mercedes Benz and VW rabbits running around the US on used cooking oil. and in the UK when the fuel price goes up too much people will run the older diesels on new cooking oil (it can be cheaper). is it legal... not for me to say. used engine oil in my crappy old boat with a very basic fuel injection system... maybe at a pinch.

its more likely that i would get desperate and burn the clean engine oil rather than the old stuff.

I like the idea of letting it settle, filtering it and burning it.

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:08   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHullPaul View Post
OK Boomer. When you realize that it's you too and not just future generations who are affected, you'll be a lifelong eco freak too.
If you can get me to be a boomer please let me know. My grandsons are boomers.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:31   #99
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
... No Idea what recyclers do with them...

I do, since I built several of the plants. They typically handle 200-500 drums of filters per day.

Pick out the trash on sorting belts, crush in large hydraulic presses (recovering the oil) under extreme pressure, and send the resulting bricks to steel mills. The steel has good value to mills and the oil is valuable to oil rerefiners (you would be surprised how much a filter retains--55 gallons of filters yields 20 gallons of oil).
Old 06-12-2019, 07:00   #100

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
I prolly should have stated that my reasons for researching were 1) as a more economical use for what would otherwise be a waste product and 2) a possible way to at least marginally improve my fuel expenses in my 1983 Perkins 4.236 engines.

The link you provided discusses addition of new 2-cycle oil to newer engines, so wasn't really relevant, but thanx for the effort.

Its certainly not a wasted product when recycled:
Used oil, or 'sump oil' as it is sometimes called, should not be thrown away. Although it gets dirty, used oil can be cleaned of contaminants so it can be recycled again and again. There are many uses for recycled used oil.
These include:
  • Industrial burner oil, where the used oil is dewatered, filtered and demineralised for use in industrial burners;
  • Mould oil to help release products from their moulds (e.g. pressed metal products, concrete);
  • Hydraulic oil;
  • Bitumen based products;
  • An additive in manufactured products; or
  • Re-refined base oil for use as a lubricant, hydraulic or transformer oil.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:00   #101

I am retired, but formerly worked in an industry that changed lubricating oil in equipment.
Years ago, oil distributors paid for used oil. Paid very little, but used lubricating oil has value. Oil does not wear out, but does break down, pick up debris, and the additives may be consumed. If filtered, and analyzed, can be restored to like new.
For several years before I retired, synthetic oil was used in most equipment. Since it was more expensive, instead of routine changes, we did routine analysis. Also, low level distributors no longer would pick up the oil, and we were charged for pickup and disposal.
Yes, I have an older technology engine that would probably burn used motor oil just fine. There is about the same amount of energy in most lube oil as diesel, so power would not be noticeably different. Starting would be harder as you increase the mix.
BUT! I do have filtration newer than the engine vintage. Not a good financial situation to change filter more often to save fuel.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:02   #102

Boat: Carver Santego

This is from my own personal experience with adding waste oil to my diesel fuel tank.
The engine was an Isuzu 4 cyl that was in a delivery truck so nothing fancy just a basic diesel.
Truck ran fine all summer no issues no smoke and I was putting about 4 litres to a tank. No mechanical issues.

BUT

Once winter hit I found out the water content of that oil was quite high.

No issues all summer but once the temp got down to -20 d C the water in the fuel Froze!
Froze my water seperator solid same for the fuel filter.
Then things got worse.
Ended up having to have the tank ripped out and the "snowmen" removed from inside.

So all in all I don't recommend it even if staying in warmer climates.
Craig_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:11   #103

The only problem I have ever had with used motor oil is in engines with flat tip injectors and oil that contains a teflon additive. As a rule, a diesel will run on any flammable liquid fuel you can get through the filter. I have run them on straight motor oil, gear lube, paint thinner and more. At home, my tractor runs on a blend of diesel fuel, used motor oil, 2 stroke oil and mostly Jet A. I started doing this because I had lots of used motor oil from cars, trucks, airplanes and tractors. Solved a waste problem and saved money.

In my boat? My boats are solar powered. We don't need no steenking diesel!
The Sun King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14   #104

Boat: Fisher 25 motorsailer

Rather than adding engine oil, a much better additive would be to add biodiesel. biodiesel has very high lubricity and also burns cleaner than regular diesel. Biodiesel up to 20% can be added to almost any diesel engine old or new. A 20% biodiesel is called B20 and can be purchased as B20 or B100 and then mixed into your tank.
DHHerndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:11   #105

Boat: Jeanneau 42 Deck Salon

We all take great measures to maintain the cleanliness of our fuel systems with dual Racors, fuel polishing systems etc. Why end run those measures with contaminated used oil. I do oil sampling on my cars and boat and I would not want to re-introduce those contaminates to my Yanmar!
Colonel Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, motor, oil