Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 13:41   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Adding Used Motor Oil to Diesel Fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Unknown being the operative word.
Just looked at RQYS and MBTBC websites and found no mention of waste oil disposal tanks or bins.

When last at RQ I did see evidence of small oil amounts being dumped in industrial bins, but didn't think that was appropriate myself.

Small engines.
1.5 changes for us makes 60 litres.
Perhaps I did not make myself clear: MBTBC has a waste oil collection facility. It has been in place for over 20 years, and was still in use as of around six weeks ago when we last were there. Just because a marina does not have this info on their web site does not imply its non-existence.

All the ones that I mention upthread are facilities that we have used personally with the exception of RQYS... that one was from second hand info.

Jim
Old 01-12-2019, 14:03   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Adding Used Motor Oil to Diesel Fuel?

I doubt they are paying $2 a gallon and then hauling fees, paying drivers etc, etc, to just burn it. Some maybe but I’m awfully heating oil is cheaper.
I’ve read some is used in making asphalt though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 14:09   #48

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps I did not make myself clear: MBTBC has a waste oil collection facility. It has been in place for over 20 years, and was still in use as of around six weeks ago when we last were there.
Thanks, I'll give them a call and see if they'll take it next time we are anchored out front.

Quote:
Just because a marina does not have this info on their web site does not imply its non-existence
I realise that, but if they did mention it it would be easier for those that are trying to do the right thing.
Who knows, if it was on their web page it might even increase their business....... I'll go to that marina because I can get rid of waste oil while there.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 14:10   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I doubt they are paying $2 a gallon and then hauling fees, paying drivers etc, etc, to just burn it. Some maybe but I’m awfully heating oil is cheaper.
I've heard that about asphalt. I hope it is fact. The same with recycling tires.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 14:24   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Most (probably all) of the oil placed in recycling facilities in Tasmania gets burnt. Much of it for heating commercial market garden facilities.

Or so I was told when I asked the guy in the big truck who comes once a month to take it away. He should know as he delivers the waste oil to the end users!

As others have posted, much reclaimed waste oil never sees an engine again!
That's iinteresting, Wottie. I guess that burning it in smudge pots is a small improvement over DIY disposal... like that used by the proprietor of the Oa Oa resort in Bora Bora some years ago: he poured it down a crab burrow in his dirt floored shed.

But apparently some oil is indeed recycled into lubrication uses... just not likely in Tassie!

Jim
Old 01-12-2019, 15:06   #51

Boat: Coast 30

Intended as a definitive answer...For what it is worth, this subject is covered on the internet under the term Black diesel.

However since the internet connects you with the craniums of the world. it bodes well to judiciously sort between the amateur and the professional regarding correct method. One chemical engineer advocates thinning the oil with 20% Unleaded gasoline by pumping it for seven hours to homogenize it. and filtering the end product to 1 micron.

When I looked into this from purely an interest perspective, I found the the cost of the correct WIX filters to do it right would require a monetary investment that would result in almost no profit over buying new #2 diesel fuel: unless the person doing it;

Did not count the value of their time,

The potential for mess to clean up,

and was prepared to process a very huge quantity that would essentially run the filters to expiry in order to extract the total value from them.

I spoke with the engineer/designer at Dickenson stoves in Cloverdale, British Columbia. He refused to calibrate any of their products to black diesel.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 16:20   #52

Boat: Passport 41

How about the same question but for ATF?

kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 17:39   #53

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

An older guy who had been working on boats for 50 odd years, said they used to crush up condies crystals and put in the fuel - which would then clean the injectors.

They got the crystals from the blocks they put in the bottom of the urinals.

Cheers
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 18:36   #54

They do the same for waste vegitable oil to burn so I don't understand why the economics would be worse.

Yes, it is used in making asphalt to heat bitumen as I mentioned earlier.

You have not seen "recycled oil" in an auto parts store, or had it offered to you as an option during an oil change because there is no such thing. Used oil is burned. Don't give it away, burn it yourself. I do.
Quote:
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 18:47   #55

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

https://seaspeeddesign.com/boats/oil...ssing_cat.html

Quote:
Black Gold is a 21m catamaran with a difference. Black Gold is a futuristic “Smart Boat” that has the ability to reprocess vegetable or waste oil into a usable fuel through the onboard processing plant contained in its hull. The reclaimed fuel can then be blended with diesel to create the perfect ratio for the performance of the craft.

https://www.ecocitizenaustralia.com....oat-australia/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 18:48   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
How about the same question but for ATF?

Way back when, say the 1970’s ATF was good if you had a Mercedes Diesel and it picked up the cold rattle, but the engine was fully warmed up, it meant that the injectors has built up some varnish and instead of a fine spray it had “streakers” which of course were more liquid streaks instead of a mist, that changes fuel timing and made the rattle, didn’t harm the engine but it was annoying. A can of ATF in the tank and over a couple of hundred miles it would clean right up. ATF worked cause it’s a light oil but with a lot of detergent.
There are better products now, but ATF still works, just don’t do it in your newer road Diesel with exhaust catalysts and DEF injection etc.
Old 01-12-2019, 18:52   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Adding Used Motor Oil to Diesel Fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHullPaul View Post
They do the same for waste vegitable oil to burn so I don't understand why the economics would be worse.

You have not seen "recycled oil" in an auto parts store, or had it offered to you as an option during an oil change because there is no such thing. Used oil is burned. Don't give it away, burn it yourself. I do.

There are all kinds of articles about used oil re-refining, just look yourself.
Maybe here is one you will believe
https://www.epa.gov/recycle/managing...cling-used-oil
Read where it says recycling used oil and filters.
Old 01-12-2019, 19:17   #58

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
Frankly, I find this attitude both short sighted and offensive. As sailors, we know better, and first hand, how degradation of the oceans is impacting life on earth. WE are (or should be) its first stewards. That means we need to pay attention to the impacts of our actions on the health of the seas. The Environmental Protection Agency studies these impacts and makes its pronouncements accordingly. So not caring about these regulations - which are based on a desire and duty to PROTECT the oceans - is self-defeating. If you don’t care about it for yourself, how about thinking about your children - or the occupants of low-lying kingdoms and countries in Polynesia and elsewhere who are dealing with the impacts of selfish actions now.

EPA is the OSHA of environment stuff. I too could care less what, or if they think.

I’ll gladly read a proper unbiased scientific study, all for leaving the world better than I found it, but the muppets at the EPA, well I put more credit into what a fortune cookie has to say.

Putting used oil into my diesel tank, interesting idea, personally I just take it to a auto parts store as well as cut and analyze my filter, but maybe if I was off shore, or somewhere remote and needed to do a oil change, putting the oil in the tanks might make better sense then carrying used oil around with me while sailing for possibly a long period of time.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 19:19   #59

I heard 20 years ago that the Mob got busted for that very thing!
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 19:22   #60

I've never doubted the technical ability to do it, I'm simply pointing it out that it largely doesn't happen and is burned instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHullPaul View Post

Quote:
There are all kinds of articles about used oil re-refining, just look yourself.
Maybe here is one you will believe
https://www.epa.gov/recycle/managing...cling-used-oil
Read where it says recycling used oil and filters.
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, motor, oil