Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 08:32   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
A photo for all you gear heads:)

Turbo completely siezed obviously - will be either getting it rebuilt or replacedClick image for larger version

Name:	20190903_213631.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	199195Click image for larger version

Name:	20190903_213618.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	199196
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: A photo for all you gear heads:)

Often when the impeller comes into contact with the housing, then it’s a replace job as by the time you replace all the pieces, you have replaced everything.

Good news is likely you will be surprised at how well the motor will run with a new turbo.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 17:11   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

For what it's worth, I was able to get my turbo rebuilt here in La Paz Mexico for about 800 USD. Local shop had all the parts, bearings, seals, impellers etc in stock. The next week, they rebuilt a neighbor's turbo for nearly the same price and they had to weld and remachine the exhaust area. Mine was a Volvo, his a Yanmar. They were both actually IHI turbos.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 17:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Often when the impeller comes into contact with the housing, then it’s a replace job as by the time you replace all the pieces, you have replaced everything.

Good news is likely you will be surprised at how well the motor will run with a new turbo.
Good too know. After pulling the air filter and looking I was having higher Hope's only to have them crushed when pulling the mixing elbow.

At first I was a bit upset to see, but it quickly faded when I realized the worst case is that I drop the $2200 or so and just get a brand new one and be on my way. I've got a new mixing elbow on it's way as I suspect it was allowing some salt water into the turbo side causing the corrosion.

I wasnt able to pull the turbo last night as a lot of my tools grew legs and walked away, so tonight the job will start.
Old 04-09-2019, 17:24   #5

I'm located in Seattle. Hoping to get a few quotes from different shops on what it's going to cost to rebuild(if possible). I'm guessing both turbos that were done in MX weren't in this bad of a state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
For what it's worth, I was able to get my turbo rebuilt here in La Paz Mexico for about 800 USD. Local shop had all the parts, bearings, seals, impellers etc in stock. The next week, they rebuilt a neighbor's turbo for nearly the same price and they had to weld and remachine the exhaust area. Mine was a Volvo, his a Yanmar. They were both actually IHI turbos.
Old 04-09-2019, 17:38   #6

Clay bar and duct tape can't fix that?
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 18:17   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

I've had to fix turbos like that for poor people. Walnut shell blast all the parts and put it back together. It will last longer than you can remember.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 19:02   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
A photo for all you gear heads:)

What usually happens to a turbo center section bearing goes out, maybe from coking, maybe just wear, but once it goes the pinwheel contact the housing, meaning both pinwheel and the housing is toast, if the bearing is bad, then so is the shaft.
That’s pretty much every part there is to a turbo.
Sometimes the center section oil seal goes out and you get a lot of smoke and a person gets lucky and can have it overhauled as the compressor and turbine didn’t hit the housing.
Ones I have worked on the compressor was titanium and of course light, it was easily removed from the shaft, the turbine was I think maybe Inconel? But it was heavy and wasn’t removable from the shaft, not by regular means anyway.
We built turbo drag bikes way back when and I would blueprint them, closing up the clearances of the compressor and turbine to the housing to try to get boost sooner. Sometimes you got too close as the shaft grew from heat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 19:40   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
For what it's worth, I was able to get my turbo rebuilt here in La Paz Mexico for about 800 USD. Local shop had all the parts, bearings, seals, impellers etc in stock. The next week, they rebuilt a neighbor's turbo for nearly the same price .
That's more than a new turbo costs on my 855 Cummins.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 19:42   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

My turbo was way worse than that, on a Volvo. Replacement was under us$800 delivered, easy to fit and the engine goes like a dream now. Make sure you order direct from a turbo supplier once you have identified the exact model from the little tag on it. Marine sources will charge you a fortune.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, head, photo