Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 11:41   #1

Boat: Trlåren 31
7/8 inch Hose barbs? !!

My Westerbeke has unusual size raw-water hose and I'm having trouble finding a 1/2 NPT x 7/8" hose barb.

The PO had used tape over 3/4" hose barbs! I had a plumber fabricate some out of 7/8" copper tubing for a stopgap. They've worked but they're relatively thin and I have had one fail. I'd like to use a proper heavy bronze fitting for peace of mind. In the meantime, I still have a couple of spares from the plumber.

Yes, I know can spend $140 (plus shipping) to get one from Westerbeke, part #32230. It's a really nice-looking machined fitting, but I'd rather not patronize thieves if I can help it. I don't doubt this engine could've been plumbed with 3/4" hose but was instead done so with the odd size so that I'd buy from them.

Does anyone have any ideas besides swallowing my pride and forking over $150 for a small hose barb? I've searched high and low on the internet.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 11:52   #2

Re: 7/8 inch Hose barbs? !!

Aren't boat fittings fun? Some barbs labeled with a certain size are super loose for that hose, or too tight to use. I would go looking with my calipers at Brass barbs. You may find some that are labeled 3/4 but closer to 7/8 etc. The older old marine store, salvage store or etc the better for these things. What's the OD of a 1/2 pipe nipple? A little under 7/8 I bet.
I have seen 7/8 barbs though, but years ago.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The ripoff prices Westerbeke charges for parts is the main reason they are the last company on my list if I ever repower. Westerbeke price for the fresh water pump on my W58 $280. Exact same part from Perkins (except painted blue) $90.

Had to deal with a lot of the same issues on my boat except worse. Hose barb cast into the heat exchanger a different size than the hose barb built into the water pump, etc, etc, etc.

Cheechako has a good point and I have seen the same. Some fittings labeled a certain size can be larger or smaller than than another brand. Same with the hoses. If a mix and match doesn't solve this you may have to jury rig or go to a machine shop to make one. That might be cheaper than paying Westerbeke.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 12:29   #4

Do you have room to use a reducer? Can you find a 3/4 npt to 7/8 barb?
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...xoCLQsQAvD_BwE

Old 19-02-2020, 12:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

You could try a machine shop. Might be hard to find one interested in a small order but worth a try. Be easy enough just to sleeve the barb part up.
I would just build up the gap wiuth silicone but clearly that approach would not suit you.
Btw Westerbeke aren't the only marine parts mafia, many others are wolves in sheeps clothing. Yanmar wanted over US $400 for the conrod to go on an 8hp single.
If I ever bought a marine engine new I'd make sure it had a land based equivalent.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 13:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
You could try a machine shop. Might be hard to find one interested in a small order but worth a try. Be easy enough just to sleeve the barb part up.
I would just build up the gap wiuth silicone but clearly that approach would not suit you.
Btw Westerbeke aren't the only marine parts mafia, many others are wolves in sheeps clothing. Yanmar wanted over US $400 for the conrod to go on an 8hp single.
If I ever bought a marine engine new I'd make sure it had a land based equivalent.
Yeah, just buy a short 1/2 npt bronze or brass nipple, cut one threaded end off, have a shop braze a bead on the end. Done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nipple.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	209086  

Old 19-02-2020, 13:28   #7

Boat: Columbia 50

why don't you just replace both ends with standard sizes. The westebeke part you listed shows 7/8 hose by 1/2 npt. Get either a 3/4 or 1" x 1/2 npt hose barb, another for the other end of where the hose goes to, and replace your hose. Personally, I'd go with 3/4" - very common, easy to source, and your limiter is actually the 1/2 npt

https://www.amazon.com/Groco-FF-500-...SIN=B002FPGG9W

matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 13:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
why don't you just replace both ends with standard sizes. The westebeke part you listed shows 7/8 hose by 1/2 npt. Get either a 3/4 or 1" x 1/2 npt nipple, another for the other end of where the hose goes to, and replace your hose. Personally, I'd go with 3/4" - very common, easy to source, and your limiter is actually the 1/2 npt

https://www.amazon.com/Groco-FF-500-...SIN=B002FPGG9W

matt
Good point, I assumed the other end was a cast nipple on the pump...?

Old 19-02-2020, 13:59   #9

Boat: Trlåren 31

The hose barb in question fits directly into the seawater pump, there just isn't room for any adapters or other fittings.

The main heat exchanger has 7/8" barbs brazed on so I can't just simply drop down to a standard 3/4" barb (and hose).

I don't think I can cut off a standard barb and add a bead, too short of a finished product for double hose clamps on the raw-water system.

I thought of a machine shop, kind of assumed it'd be too small for them to bother with, but guess I could always ask.

$140 to Westerbeke might be the best answer in terms of time, quality, headache, risk, etc. Pride greatly discounted in the analysis of course.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 14:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

$140 to Westerbeke might be the best answer in terms of time, quality, headache, risk, etc. Pride greatly discounted in the analysis of course.[/QUOTE]

NO NO don't reward them for reaming you.

Try the machine shop first, considering where you are there must be a place that does fish boat work that could do something for you. You would still feel better even if you paid the same to a local I'm guessing
Old 19-02-2020, 19:40   #11

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Just buy a standard 1/2 X 3 bronze pipe nipple for 3.00, cut the threads off one end and screw what's left into the pump. It's very unlikely that you need any kind of barb or retaining mechanism; the friction from the double clamps and the relatively low pressure work in your favor here.

If you're nervous about it, it's easy enough to file a groove or two near the cutoff end for the ID of the hose to bite on, or to put a couple/three drops of solder on the the clamp end of the nipple to give some 'grip'.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 21:08   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Just buy a standard 1/2 X 3 bronze pipe nipple for 3.00, cut the threads off one end and screw what's left into the pump. It's very unlikely that you need any kind of barb or retaining mechanism; the friction from the double clamps and the relatively low pressure work in your favor here.

If you're nervous about it, it's easy enough to file a groove or two near the cutoff end for the ID of the hose to bite on, or to put a couple/three drops of solder on the the clamp end of the nipple to give some 'grip'.

Yes! Cheechako tried to steer the OP that way but he's clearly nervous.
The pressure from a water pump">raw water pump is peanuts.
Easier still to put some RTV silicone on before tightening hose clamps, let it go off & then tighten. Will not come off, harder to remove but better than rewarding the mafia with $140 for an item that they paid $1 for probably
Old 19-02-2020, 21:16   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

So you guys think a hose clamp will keep a 7/8” hose on a 1/2” nipple? That’s 3/8” difference...

I would take a bronze adapter from 1/2” male to 3/4” female and do the same with a 3/4” nipple, incl. brazing a bead/lip on the end.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 22:04   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So you guys think a hose clamp will keep a 7/8” hose on a 1/2” nipple? That’s 3/8” difference...

I would take a bronze adapter from 1/2” male to 3/4” female and do the same with a 3/4” nipple, incl. brazing a bead/lip on the end.
Ahh...no.
The OD of 1/2" NPT nipple is 0.84" and the OD of a 1/2" BSP nipple is 0.80" - 0.82"

7/8" = 0.875" so yes, it should pull down OK given the difference is ~35 thou.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 22:13   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

ID of 7/8" hose is .875". OD of 1/2" sch 40 pipe is (by my measure) .834", leaving a .041" gap, or less than 1/32" on each side. The solution suggested is standard operating procedure, will work as advised and I have done it way too many times to count.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote