Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 09:38   #1

Boat: 1991 Island Packet 29
6000 RPM Tach On A Yanmar 2GM20F

New boat to me. Previous owner installed a new Yanmar Mack "C" panel with a tach that goes to 6000 RPM. Specs for the engine show max RPM rating is 3600 with a continuous rating of 3400. Had some other issues with the engine and asked a reputable Yanmar certified yard to take a look. One thing they want to correct is the tach. They say I should be using a 4000 RPM tach and should replace the one there now. Is that really necessary? Wouldn't the 6000 show the proper readout? What would be the issue keeping what is currently there?

The original tach that came with the engine when new was presumably a 4000 RPM.

Thanks,
Joe
Baysailor34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:50   #2

Re: 6000 RPM Tach On A Yanmar 2GM20F

Frankly I wouldnt worry about it. The "spread " on the 6k tach doesnt allow you as many increments in your engine range, but realistically, once your are properly propped you cant go over RPM and most people adjust the throttle to the "sweet spot", smooth spot, near the speed they want to go. I rarely even look at a tach.

What are your other issues?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:55   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Only issue I can think of ...,
Is the existing tach accurate?
Get an (inexpensive) laser tach and check the existing tach against reality. If it is close enough, no worries. If not ...
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:55   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Only issue I can think of ...,
Is the existing tach accurate?
Get an (inexpensive) laser tach and check the existing tach against reality. If it is close enough, no worries. If not ...
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 15:19   #5

I would forget about it, The yard must be short of business.
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 16:42   #6

Boat: Adams 42

I would keep it.
It may come in to its own if you have a runaway diesel from ingested fuel.
Excessive or misdirected crankcase blowby and spilt flammable liquids. Are two events that I have experienced.

Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 17:06   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysailor34 View Post
New boat to me. Previous owner installed a new Yanmar Mack "C" panel with a tach that goes to 6000 RPM. Specs for the engine show max RPM rating is 3600 with a continuous rating of 3400. Had some other issues with the engine and asked a reputable Yanmar certified yard to take a look. One thing they want to correct is the tach. They say I should be using a 4000 RPM tach and should replace the one there now. Is that really necessary? Wouldn't the 6000 show the proper readout? What would be the issue keeping what is currently there?

The original tach that came with the engine when new was presumably a 4000 RPM.

Thanks,
Joe
If the tach is working accurately, reliably, and repeatably, tell them to stuff it!

Rod Brandon
Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 17:52   #8

Boat: Riva 48

I had a lot of issues with my original Yanmar tach on the same engine. Then I realized replacement tach gauges from Faria cost $40-50 on Amazon/eBay. Replaced it and never looked back. No point in over complicating. Get one in a style that you like and replace it.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 18:11   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

This admonition from a "certified" mechanic is kinda scary (if he really believes what he says) or a real warning that you should take your biz elsewhere since he is trying to sell you unneeded parts .

In other words, the advice is ridiculous... kinda like saying you should replace the speedo in your car 'cause it goes up to 160 mph but your car will only do 110 flat out.

Jim
Old 13-09-2017, 00:49   #10

The mechanic is not pulling your leg. Your 6,000 rpm tacho gauge works on a different pulse frequency to the one that your engine presently produces. Have a look on the back of gauge as some have pulse change switches.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 03:17   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
The mechanic is not pulling your leg. Your 6,000 rpm tacho gauge works on a different pulse frequency to the one that your engine presently produces. Have a look on the back of gauge as some have pulse change switches.
doug, are you sure about this? Seems like the tach must be matched to the alternator on the engine, and they do vary in the number of poles and hence the number of "pulses" per revolution. But the tach is simply a pulse counter, and what its max scale reading is kinda inconsequential.

Another poster has suggested using an external tach to check the accuracy of the 6000 unit, and that's a good idea (for everyone!). Such a check will reveal what the truth is! Why for everyone? Because lots of us have changed alternators and pulleys and have no idea if there have been changes in the number of pulses per revolution, and hence of our tach accuracy.

Jim
Old 13-09-2017, 05:40   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
doug, are you sure about this? Seems like the tach must be matched to the alternator on the engine, and they do vary in the number of poles and hence the number of "pulses" per revolution. But the tach is simply a pulse counter, and what its max scale reading is kinda inconsequential.

Another poster has suggested using an external tach to check the accuracy of the 6000 unit, and that's a good idea (for everyone!). Such a check will reveal what the truth is! Why for everyone? Because lots of us have changed alternators and pulleys and have no idea if there have been changes in the number of pulses per revolution, and hence of our tach accuracy.

Jim
Hmm... the stock Yanmar tach is driven by a flywheel sensor. Who knows how this aftermarket tach is excited; my guess is the alternator but maybe not...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, rpm, yanmar