Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2017, 10:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: 500 Hr Globe Dry Run Impellor

I think the 4JH3's have outstanding impeller life because the pump is mounted low and will always have water in it.

They will almost outlast the stock cover plates. I recommend switching to these: Welcome to Speedseal Safety Covers

cheaper than the stock cover plate and you'll never have to buy another one -- just change the teflon disks once in a while.

I change the impeller in my 4JH3HTE every two years, at about 600 hours. It always looks fine. I use the OEM impellers and buy them from Yanmar. If for no other reason, because unlike the aftermarket ones, they are threaded to take the fantastically handy Yanmar impeller puller.

Contrast to the impeller in my generator. I've never tested the long life limit, because I inevitably forget to turn the sea cock on at least once a season, and poof. Generator, unlike the main engine, is mounted high, and the sea water pump drains down. I've also put a Speedseal cover on it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 10:11   #17

Boat: 34 American Tug

I've had good luck with Globe impellers. Recently ran one dry for twenty minutes with no damage.
Zoidislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:10   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Dockhead;2542280

Contrast to the impeller in my generator. I've never tested the long life limit, because I inevitably forget to turn the sea cock on at least once a season, and poof. Generator, unlike the main engine, is mounted high, and the sea water pump drains down. I've also put a Speedseal cover on it.[/QUOTE]

My generator is above the waterline. So when I installed the generator I installed a loop on the pump discharge line so that there would be water in the pump for cooling and lube. Of course similar to you I found that that doesn’t matter when the strainer clogs
Old 24-12-2017, 11:46   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
500 Hr Globe Dry Run Impellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I replaced my 4JH3E’s OEM impeller a couple months ago. It had been installed over 1000 hrs and 6 years. Some cracks were starting but no blades were broken. I saw no reason to go to an aftermarket “better” impeller.

I tried the Globe out of curiosity.
However the two I just bought I got off of Amazon for $29 ea., which I think is about half of what Yanmar charges, even though of course they are just resellers, they don’t make the pump or impeller, starter, alternator, many other things, just assign a Yanmar part number and jack up the price.
They all do it, some are more egregious than others.

I was just wondering if others have used these less expensive aftermarket impellers, and what their experience was.
Sort of like starters, I wanted a spare so I priced one from a Yanmar dealer, about $750 if memory serves.
I bought I’m sure an inferior product again from Amazon for $85,but I think for a spare it’s OK.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:55   #20
CLOD

I know I paid way less that $29 for my yanmar mpeller from a dealer

But you have shop parts. I too had my Orem starter burn out and replaced it with an aftermarket one I got for $103 (including 2 day shipping). People said it would last, but that was like 6 years ago.
Old 24-12-2017, 12:01   #21
CLOD

On the other why would it bother me to pay even $100 for an impeller given the last one lasted 1000 hours? The price of a given part needs to consider its importance and other damage its failure can do. A seawater impeller failure can cost $30,000 if it results in needing a replacement engine
Old 24-12-2017, 12:19   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I tried the Globe out of curiosity.
However the two I just bought I got off of Amazon for $29 ea., which I think is about half of what Yanmar charges, even though of course they are just resellers, they don’t make the pump or impeller, starter, alternator, many other things, just assign a Yanmar part number and jack up the price.
They all do it, some are more egregious than others.

I was just wondering if others have used these less expensive aftermarket impellers, and what their experience was.
Sort of like starters, I wanted a spare so I priced one from a Yanmar dealer, about $750 if memory serves.
I bought I’m sure an inferior product again from Amazon for $85,but I think for a spare it’s OK.
In fairness to Yanmar, the markup is what pays for maintaining inventories of low turnover parts and ensures that parts are actually available for our engines when they get to be 20 years old.

As to your starter -- I also bought one of these, and found that it totally did not fit. I suggest you try installing it before putting it into spares. If it's the same vendor I bought from, they will tell you to jump in a lake when you ask to return it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 24-12-2017, 13:19   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

500 Hr Globe Dry Run Impellor

I understand mark up, before Retirement I was a manufacturer as well, and we supported aircraft back to the first ones made in 1965. At that time we didn’t orphan any.
However I know what is a customary and usual mark up, and what is not, and some manufacturers have a ridiculous mark up.
I believe it’s just too easy a target to make a profit on, and some manufacturers don’t understand or maybe don’t care how much ill will can come from price gouging. Yanmar isn’t too bad and I don’t mean to target them.
I’m tempted to mount the starter, cause it doesn’t look anything like the OEM, however it cross matches both the Yanmar part number and the original manufacturer which I think is Hitachi, so I think I’ll take the gamble.
Old 24-12-2017, 13:32   #24

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

My faceplate is a bit hard to get at and there are too many screws!!
I got one of these and love the design, seems to really improve a standard Jabsco/Johnston. Modified face plate arrangement which maybe even allows for a tiny bit of dry run.

Welcome to Speedseal Safety Covers
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 14:01   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
. . .
I’m tempted to mount the starter, cause it doesn’t look anything like the OEM, however it cross matches both the Yanmar part number and the original manufacturer which I think is Hitachi, so I think I’ll take the gamble.
I suggest that, to avoid possible disappointment, you at least do a test fit. "Not looking anything like the OEM" was also my first impression of my Amazon starter, which now lies at the bottom of the Solent . . .
Walt Whitman
Old 24-12-2017, 14:03   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My generator is above the waterline. So when I installed the generator I installed a loop on the pump discharge line so that there would be water in the pump for cooling and lube. . . .
You are a clever guy.

After Christmas, I'm going to looking into imitating this.
Walt Whitman
Old 24-12-2017, 14:07   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You are a clever guy.

After Christmas, I'm going to looking into imitating this.

I would think you would want a loop on both sides of the pump meaning the pump is the low spot and would of course stay full of water that way?
Old 24-12-2017, 14:09   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would think you would want a loop on both sides of the pump meaning the pump is the low spot and would of course stay full of water that way?
I had the same thought, but that does not take anything away from Sailorboy's idea.
Walt Whitman
Old 24-12-2017, 14:12   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I had the same thought, but that does not take anything away from Sailorboy's idea.

Of course not, I was just thinking of a plumbing trap is all.
Apparently many generators suffer from early death of the impeller, one Cat manufacturer even puts an electric boost pump on to try to help with that.
I just deleted the impeller.
Old 24-12-2017, 14:38   #30
CLOD

Quote:
I considered that but felt it would harder and longer for the pump to prime. All I cared was there would be water in the pump for lube and cooling, the discharge loop (that I also installed a vented loop on) takes care of that. The impeller would need to be so worn that it wouldn’t pump before the water would drain back to the suction.