Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 20:51   #1

Boat: Careel 22
42 hp Nanni diesel

G'day mates,

Can anyone here advise me...How difficult is it for one man to remove a 42 hp Nanni diesel motor from a Hartley Queenslander and, how difficult is it to rebuild that motor It's been a long time since I have rebuilt any engine so I thought I would ask for advice on CF.
I wonder, what would it cost to have a shop in North Queensland, (Yeppoon/Kepple Island area) do the work. i.e. Remove the motor, do the rebuild and reinstall the motor
Any helpful advice from those who may know would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Australia
Old 26-11-2013, 22:01   #2

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: 42 hp Nanni diesel

Bill, it all depends on access. Really need more details or photos of setup.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 22:11   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't know the boat, but if theres a deck above the engine that can be removed through it should be a simple job! If not then ya have to take out through the saloon which is a butt buster! The engine parts are available here in The USA but don't know about down there!! But the engine should be able to be done in any diesel engine shop, as they are pretty stright forward engines to work on ! I guess Im not to much help, but Im sure some of your country men will give ya more info about prices down there !!
Old 27-11-2013, 00:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Don't know the boat but if it's typical of designs of that era (1960's) then the engine may be in the middle of the boat, just forward of the main sliding hatch.

If so a few hours with a ruler should give the information that you need.

In general it's possible that the engine and gearbox could be unbolted from their mounts, slid backwards and then lifted out with a crane. At least one of the persons involved should have experience in removing an engine from a boat.

At this stage I'd suggest caution. My experience has been that once it becomes necessary to remove an engine from a boat rebuilding is going to be near as expensive as a new engine. Diesels are very expensive to rebuild and rebuilding an old engine with an unknown past involves risk.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 06:31   #5

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Don't know the boat but if it's typical of designs of that era (1960's) then the engine may be in the middle of the boat, just forward of the main sliding hatch.

If so a few hours with a ruler should give the information that you need.

In general it's possible that the engine and gearbox could be unbolted from their mounts, slid backwards and then lifted out with a crane. At least one of the persons involved should have experience in removing an engine from a boat.

At this stage I'd suggest caution. My experience has been that once it becomes necessary to remove an engine from a boat rebuilding is going to be near as expensive as a new engine. Diesels are very expensive to rebuild and rebuilding an old engine with an unknown past involves risk.
The boat is a 1985 Hartley Queenslander with a few little problems, as the seller puts it, hence the low asking price.
I have stripped-out, rebuilt and reinstalled quite a few boat and truck engines in the past, last one was some twenty years back but I have never worked on a Hartley Queenslander. As the boat is over two thousand KM from my place, plus the fact she's sitting off an Island in Queensland, it's not easy for me to get up there to look her over.
I guess I'll contact the seller and ask him to send me a few pictures and location of the engine-bay.

Bill
Australia

Tags
diesel