Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 16:59   #16

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: 4 stroke or 2 stroke

This thread is why I think 2T is better, unless you have a large dinghy and travel long distances in it.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-220810.html

I wouldn't wait. I'd dip the whole thing in fresh water first if I had to leave without taking it apart to clean.
Old 11-07-2019, 18:36   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
You cannot lay a 4 stroke motor on its side, say in a locker.

Sure you can, but there is usually one side that if you do a lot of oil will run out
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 18:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
4 stroke or 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
This thread is why I think 2T is better, unless you have a large dinghy and travel long distances in it.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-220810.html

I wouldn't wait. I'd dip the whole thing in fresh water first if I had to leave without taking it apart to clean.

I sunk my electronic fuel injected four stroke a few years ago, got it back to the boat, hung it on the rail and flushed everything I could with fresh water, lots of it, even the cylinders, it’s run fine since then.
I did have to do several oil changes though likely at least five or six until the oil stayed clear with no evidence of water.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 19:10   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
You cannot lay a 4 stroke motor on its side, say in a locker.
I checked the Tohatsu manual. Says motor can be laid on it's side, with the handle down. Manual is primarily aimed at the versions with the integral tank. The SailPro does not have the tank and can be laid on more sides per my supplier, but that's not in the manual.

SailPro or some other HighThrust model is what you want if you are using the motor for the mother ship.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:02   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

https://youtu.be/YBUOZRQj_tk
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:01   #21

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montslr View Post
I just purchased a Pacific Seacraft Flicka with a 8 horsepower 2 stoke outboard motor. It runs very well and starts first pull every time. I am thinking about replacing it with a 4 stroke Tohatsu 6 hp sail pro that I already own because the motor is about 12 years old. What advantages and disadvantages come with a 2 stroke outboard motor for motoring in salt water. I remember someone told me there were less moving parts? Anyway, thank you for your responses in advance!
My old Compac 23 came with a Johnson 8hp 2 stroke high thrust engine. It caused a lot of problems and I replaced it with the Tohatsu 6hp SailPro 25". Weight was very comparable between the two. Sailpro was much quieter, Johnsons exhaust was higher and tended to come out of the water. Sailpro seemed to get much better fuel economy and was always a second pull start.

At idle the Sailpro had a lot more vibrations than the Johnson due to being a 1 cylinder vs 2 cylinder. Underway it was less noticeable but still less smooth. Mine was an early Sailpro that had the shifter on the side, that was a little difficult to reach when coming in to dock. Newer ones repositioned this better. I think the only time I had a problem with the Sailpro was when I slightly overfilled the oil. It foamed and came up through the PCV and fouled the plug. My mistake and an easy fix.

Is the Yamaha a 25" shaft? If it is an is running well I'd probably just leave it in place for now. Or maybe try them both and see which you prefer. With the added weight of your Flicka vs my old Compac (5500 vs 3000) the extra HP on the Yamaha might be helpful to get steerage quicker at the dock. On my Sabre (7900 pounds) I have a Suzuki 9.9BTX.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
"For Sale: Like new Yamaha, well maintained and babied its whole life....."

Shawn
Old 12-07-2019, 09:50   #23

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

I have a 2016 6hp longshaft Tohatsu with integral fuel tank. I have had lots of problems with carb. Always use non-ethanol. I am not aware that it is a "Sail Pro." Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Sail Pro and a non-Sail Pro?
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:31   #24

Sailpro came standard with the elephant ears high thrust prop and alternator. Originally it was 25” shaft only but I think they added a 20” later on. It will say Sailpro on it if it is one.

Shawn
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41   #25

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
All I can add to what has been said is it's all about the weight. Two strokes are significantly lighter...hanging on your stern rail....hanging on the transome of your dink....hanging on your arm loading and unloading.
Early 4 strokes were heavy. They aren't as bad now. The across-the-board average difference is about 20%.

It is difficult to make comparisons because the 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors do not come in matching sizes. Let's look at Yamaha.

== Yamaha 4-stroke (USA market) ==
6hp 59 pounds
9.8hp 87 pounds
20hp 111 pounds

In the really small sizes, people get the Suzuki, because the little Yamaha isn't as good:
2.5hp 29 pounds

== Yamaha Enduro 2-stroke (Caribbean) ==
2hp 22 pounds
4hp 46 pounds
8hp 61 pounds
15hp 83 pounds
25hp 116 pounds

In both cases there are smaller HP derated motors, e.g. if you get a 4hp 4 stroke it's just the 6hp 4 stroke that's been turned down, so it still weighs just as much. Similarly the 9.9hp Enduro is just a 15 that's been turned down.

So while the 2 strokes are a little lighter overall it very much depends on size. Many people will opt for the 15hp enduro in place of the 9.8hp 4-stroke since it weighs a little less, and that's where the differences is most notable. On the other hand if 6hp is all you need the 4 stroke alternative is a little lighter just because of the way the product lines match up.

You have to look at your specific situation and the HP you need in order to see if there's a difference.

I believe the difference in product lineup is mainly due to the prevalence of regulations on many small inland lakes in the USA that limit outboard motor size to less than 10 HP. It is common to see 14' aluminum boats with 9.9 HP motors on these lakes.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 04:07   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
I have a 2016 6hp longshaft Tohatsu with integral fuel tank. I have had lots of problems with carb. Always use non-ethanol. I am not aware that it is a "Sail Pro." Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Sail Pro and a non-Sail Pro?
Sail Pro would have the 25" extra long shaft. Long shaft is 20"

My engine is a 2011 Mercury 5 hp 4 stroke extra long 25" shaft w/integral fuel tank. (and external connection) I have never used non-ethanol gas in it and have had no problems. It calls for 10% ethanol gas so that is what I have used these past 8 years

I do treat the gas that sits in the tanks over the Winter with Stabilizer. I use Stabil...…...and I start it about every two weeks all Winter. It also gets a lot of use since it is the main auxiliary engine for the boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01751.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	195975   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00127.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	195976  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 04:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
All I can add to what has been said is it's all about the weight. Two strokes are significantly lighter...hanging on your stern rail....hanging on the transome of your dink....hanging on your arm loading and unloading. I have a Yamaha 2 stoke 8 and it's the best motor I ever had. Knock on wood, hasn't needed service in 4 years now. I just run the fuel out every time I use it and it never fails to start by the second pull...even after sitting for 4 months while I am away from the boat.
I hang my Mercury 5 hp 4 stroke (57lb) Outboard on the stern rail mount sometimes for storage or maintenance. This engine is 8 years old and runs great. I don't like to run the fuel out because it takes longer for it to get back to the carb for restarting. This one is pull start

So far I can lean over the rail and pick it up to mount it manually. This is the main engine for my boat also but I am on my second bracket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00127.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	195977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	195978  

Old 15-07-2019, 05:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sail Pro would have the 25" extra long shaft. Long shaft is 20"
Originally that was the case but now Tohatsu offers the "Sailpro" in both 20" and 25" shafts. The "Sailpro" models have a high thrust prop and 6amp alternator as standard on the engine.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/6_4st.html

Shawn
Old 15-07-2019, 05:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
Originally that was the case but now Tohatsu offers the "Sailpro" in both 20" and 25" shafts. The "Sailpro" models have a high thrust prop and 6amp alternator as standard on the engine.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/6_4st.html

Shawn
Nice, but usually the extra/ultra 25" long shaft is best for use on a sailboat especially when the waves are up a bit.
Old 15-07-2019, 05:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Nice, but usually the extra/ultra 25" long shaft is best for use on a sailboat especially when the waves are up a bit.
Totally agree, I have a 25" shaft on my boat too.

Shawn

Tags
2 stroke, 4 stroke