Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 10:21   #1

3gm30f problems

Would appreciate thoughts on this issue. Trying to figure out the most cost effective way forward.

60 mi out of Havana my engine changed sounds on me. I cut it as it was dieing let it cool, refilled the dry oil pan, and restated to a much clackier sound.

Limped and got some towing from a boat that was traveling with me to make it to Isla Mujeres. So have access to Cancun yanmar dealer that is well stocked and a nice place to do some work.

Pulled most of the stuff of the motor hoping for a blown head gasket. No water in the oil but some oil in the water. Appears the engine overheated and burned off the oil with non working warning lights.

Have not laid a straight edge on the head which i will do when i fly back. But no visual cracks or damage, head gasket looked intack, was moving plenty of raw water and coolant was full and not boiling when it died. Suspect water pump(fresh) or thermostat killed everything else.

Engine turns over smoothly by hand.

N2 cyl does not come all the way to tdc and shows evidence of slapping against the head when i restarted the motor.

Bores look good workout scratching or significant wear.

Water passages are in good shape.

Engine block is still in place but will be pulled when i get back with my tools. My suspicion is that i will find that rod bearing trashed giving the 60thous [ish] extra travel both directions for that cyl. Since the block rotates freely and smoothly i am hoping that is the limit of the damage but that os just a barely informed WAG.

Would love to hear from people with experiance tearing deep into these engines. My hope is i can replace that bearing along with maybe that piston and rod, relap valves while i make sure none are bent, put it back together and keep cruising without breaking the bank with a full professional rebuild.

Thoughts? ??
AsTheWindBlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:31   #2

Re: 3gm30f problems

Water temp light had been intermittently flickering but thought it was a bad sendor since the coolant was not boiling or overly hot and filing or overflowing reservoir
Old 28-08-2015, 13:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsTheWindBlows View Post
N2 cyl does not come all the way to tdc and shows evidence of slapping against the head when i restarted the motor.
Have the valve seats checked on N2 cylinder. I know of one "new" yanmar that had a valve seat come loose which will damage / mark the piston head. Valve missed adjusted or a seized lifter could do that too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 13:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm betting what you think is exactly what happened, if so be prepared to replace a crank and that rod, check to see if you bent a valve and of course since your there, check the seats.
Depending on engine age, I'd be very tempted to overhaul the head, valve job and seals at least.
If the engine is out and on the table, do you overhaul?

Where did the oil go, and how much low was it?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 13:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsTheWindBlows View Post
Water temp light had been intermittently flickering but thought it was a bad sendor since the coolant was not boiling or overly hot and filing or overflowing reservoir

May well be miswired and this light is actually an oil pressure light?
Is it on, with ignition on, but before engine starts?

Old 28-08-2015, 13:52   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Sounds like you have experience, so your plan to fix it and keep cruising depends on the condition you find the engine in. Doesn't make much sense to make any WAGs, since you've already gotten the engine partially torn down...you'll soon find out for sure what's going on. The engine itself is simple enough, I think your plan though, barring any surprises, is good.

If it were me, I would replace all the bearings, seals, and rings, check the head and block for trueness, hand lap the valves, probably hone the cylinders, and polish the crank, all depending on the hours on the engine, the way it was running previously and the condition you find things in. You'll have it apart anyway, so why patch it up?

I'd also try to find out for sure what caused the problem in the first place, and definitely get some reliable engine monitoring systems. (other than your ears I mean)

Here's a link to a service manual, in case you don't have one...

http://www.catalina320.com/filemgmt_...viceManual.pdf
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 13:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
May well be miswired and this light is actually an oil pressure light?
Is it on, with ignition on, but before engine starts?

That was my thought as well. Going to put real gauges on
Old 28-08-2015, 13:52   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i thought that every time you turned the key you got the low oil pressure warning buzzer until the motor started with the yanmar 3gm?
Old 28-08-2015, 14:09   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Well I will be the negative one then. If a bearing is that bad then the crank is toast. There is not much chance a bearing can have .120 slop and not damage the journal. It's not like you can have a bad bearing surface and just put new bearings back in and cruise off into the sunset. Getting it reground is iffy also. Not that many diesel cranks can be reground. Can this one?
Frankly, I would say you need another engine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:41   #10

Boat: islandpacket

There's a crank and other parts listed on ebay. I dont know if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-08-2015, 21:03   #11

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Well I will be the negative one then. If a bearing is that bad then the crank is toast. There is not much chance a bearing can have .120 slop and not damage the journal. It's not like you can have a bad bearing surface and just put new bearings back in and cruise off into the sunset. Getting it reground is iffy also. Not that many diesel cranks can be reground. Can this one?
Frankly, I would say you need another engine.

Well apparently Yanmar thinks they can,

Manufacturer: Yanmar
Part Number: 105311-23380
Description:
Connecting rod bearing US 0.25

Part #105311-23380 from Yanmar

A crankshaft is hardened steel; a rod bearing is either babbit metal, or more recently, aluminium (ha ha), a metal that is roughly an order of magnitude softer (by design), so the bearing is sacrificial; i.e. the brg disintegrates before the crank is 'toast'.

Of course you may be correct, but again, WAG's make little sense, and have absolutely no bearing on what the actual end result is...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 09:49   #12

My wag is just to try to get a ballpark plan together. Back up is a rebuilt from the states a friend has offered to bring down on his boat from the states.

Will be back to mexico later this week with tools to finish the tear down and eye ball it all.

I have some experience but a full rebuild is beyond my current skill set. Though i am not afraid to learn
Old 29-08-2015, 10:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

From someone who has personally completely rebuilt her 3gm30F, it's not that hard. But to remove the crank you need a special tool. A 36mm 6" deep socket to remove the inner crank nut from inside the governor weights.

If you replace the front and aft crank bearings that is another special tool. Recommend getting two sets of front and rear bearings as it's far to easy to mess them up on the press fit. They are pretty inexpensive anyway.

Highly recommend using zip lock baggys with tags/sharpy to mark each assembly nuts and bolts when removing bits from engine. Makes it much easier during reinstallation.

Everything else is very basic tools and a good torque wrench. A small metal oil filter wrench does well as a ring compressor too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 10:39   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd be prepared to do a "redneck overhaul" That's a light hone on the cylinders, just enough to break the glaze, new rings and I'm afraid you'll have to replace or have the crank reground, head re-built, injection pump and injectors sent off for re-building. I always replace the oil pump if I go this far into an engine, look hard at the cam and it's bearings for oil starvation damage.
I've had very, very good luck with one of the light overhauls, many thousands of hours and no failures yet, admittedly farm Diesels though.
Obviously get a full gasket set, even though there may be a few you don't use, cheaper than piece meal and a whole lot easier.

Old 29-08-2015, 10:43   #15

Was that socket something you got from the yanmar dealer?

Tags
3gm, 3gm30