Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 11:08   #1

Boat: Island Packet 32
3GM30f loses prime

An appeal to the accomplished members of this forum that know far more than I do about the 3GM30 fuel system:
If I prime my 3GM (bleed screw on secondary filter and bleed screw on injector pump, sometimes injectors) it starts instantly, but after two days idle, it will not start until I bleed again. I have replaced lift pump, Racor filter, secondary filter (including CU washers at banjo fittings) and hose from Racor to the Stewart Warner electric prime pump. I checked the pickup tube at the fuel tank for leaks, all connections for leaks, and am now totally without ideas, and would like to tap into the collective wisdom of the forum.
Old 21-03-2022, 11:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 3GM30f loses prime

Have you checked the bleed screws? You've been opening and closing them frequently.

The leak may be air in rather than fuel out/replaced by air. You may not see a leak.

Any chance of adding a one-way valve to the fuel line?

Yeah, my M25 does the same thing. It doesn't happen if I have nearly full tanks, because gravity keeps the line slightly pressurized.
Old 21-03-2022, 11:31   #3

Thanks Tkeithlu,
The bleed screw on the new secondary filter is also new, but not the bleed screw at the injector pump, although when I bled the system yesterday, I ran the prime pump then started and ran the engine while checking the bleed screw for leaks. Perhaps I should check again.
Old 21-03-2022, 11:37   #4

Expanded reply to Tkeithlu:
I'll check that bleed screw, perhaps replace it. Both prime pump and Racor have ball checks. I have looked at the prime pump check, but assumed that the new Racor check was functioning properly. Should I install another check valve? If so, any recommendations?
Old 21-03-2022, 11:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

That's all that came to mind, Jim. If those check valves aren't leaking then the likely leak is above them in the system. That's based on a guess that the stop valves will stop a bubble from migrating up past them.

OK. Let me think about this again. Consider checking for a fuel leak outward. To do that, clean and dry all the hose, wrap it in dry paper towels, and wait for a spot to form.

The edges on the filters are the biggest area sealed by a gasket. A small tear or bit of dirt could create a leak. They need to be clean, inspected, and oiled before assembly. Not too tight - that can create a leak rather than seal one.
Old 21-03-2022, 11:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

Here's what could be happening. All is fine when the engine is running. When the engine is off, a vacuum / siphon occurs inside the fuel hose that returns fuel to the boat's fuel tank. This results in the injectors being sucked dry of fuel, and you experience the symptoms you describe.

The fix is to route the fuel return hose into a 'U' configuration, with the lowest part of the 'U' lower than the bottom of the fuel tank. You could alternately route the hose vertically from the engine, then downhill to the tank. Either method will ensure the fuel injectors are not drained by suction, when the engine is not running. Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
An appeal to the accomplished members of this forum that know far more than I do about the 3GM30 fuel system:
If I prime my 3GM (bleed screw on secondary filter and bleed screw on injector pump, sometimes injectors) it starts instantly, but after two days idle, it will not start until I bleed again. I have replaced lift pump, Racor filter, secondary filter (including CU washers at banjo fittings) and hose from Racor to the Stewart Warner electric prime pump. I checked the pickup tube at the fuel tank for leaks, all connections for leaks, and am now totally without ideas, and would like to tap into the collective wisdom of the forum.
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 12:03   #7

Thanks Engine Man,
That's a good idea which makes me hopeful! Hard for me to run the return in a "U", but I can easily run the line up before down to the tank. In fact, I'll do a test by running the existing return hoe into a gallon jug before buying a new hose long enough for the change.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:20   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i ended up replacing all the fuel line banjo washers on my yanmar 3GM. but i never had the problem you are having nor did I have an electric prime pump. good luck.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
That's all that came to mind, Jim. If those check valves aren't leaking then the likely leak is above them in the system. That's based on a guess that the stop valves will stop a bubble from migrating up past them.

OK. Let me think about this again. Consider checking for a fuel leak outward. To do that, clean and dry all the hose, wrap it in dry paper towels, and wait for a spot to form.

The edges on the filters are the biggest area sealed by a gasket. A small tear or bit of dirt could create a leak. They need to be clean, inspected, and oiled before assembly. Not too tight - that can create a leak rather than seal one.
Thanks again, I obviously need all the help I can get. I'll unscrew the top of the Racor and assure that the filter element is sealed and the gasket not leaking. As I replaced with new I assumed that it was functioning properly and that the ball check works as it should.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i ended up replacing all the fuel line banjo washers on my yanmar 3GM. but i never had the problem you are having nor did I have an electric prime pump. good luck.
Thanks, gonesail, I did replace the washers on each side of the secondary filter, but not all in the system. Perhaps need to check that.

Tags
3gm, 3gm30