Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 19:26   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
3gm30 - How to Change Oil ?

I'm at anchor..
how do i get the oil out of my 3g30f ?

thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 19:29   #2

Boat: Dufour 38
Re: 3gm30, how to change oil?

For a 3GM30, you put a small plastic tube down the dipstick hole and pump it out. I use a rigid plastic tube so I can get it to the bottom of the pan.

Do it when the oil is warm and it will be easier to pump.
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 19:33   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Dan View Post
For a 3GM30, you put a small plastic tube down the dipstick hole and pump it out. I use a rigid plastic tube so I can get it to the bottom of the pan.
+1

Works for me.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 19:39   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I have done this job a zillion times with the tube down the dipstick hole and a suction pump. It is truly the job that I hate to do more than any other on board Exit Only. What makes it worse is that I have to do it on two engines. When one engine is done, I still have joy awaiting me in the opposite hull.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 19:47   #5

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Yes I agree that it is a terrible job. The best is when you pull the tube from the dipstick hose and it whips out and sprays oil everywhere. Just be patient and make sure you get the hose dug down and around to make sure you get all of the oil.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 20:56   #6

Boat: boat less ATM

as per previous posts re sucking oil and how crappy a job it is when you spray oil everywhere when the hose flicks out.

ALSO I guess you know you can buy a small brass pump at chandleries for this job. The plastic hose that comes with it does not last very long, so buy extra. I am trying to source rigid thin walled copper or brass pipe to fit down dip stick hole to stop the flick and make sure I get all the oil.

Another tip is fill up the oil filter with oil before replacing on the side of the engine. You will be quite surprised how much oil it will soak up. That way you get some oil going round as soonas you start the engine. You can always crank the engine a few times to prime the new oil. The oil filter always seems to be in an hard to access part of the engine bay.

Have fun. Now you know why you bought a sail boat
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 21:46   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive used a small jabsco 12volt pump and hose to a copper tube makes a messy job a lot easier and cleaner. Just keep pump running till you get tube out of dip stick hole, tip upward and shut off pump. Go to the second engine and do it ! done in less the 1/2 hr AS said above always fill filters before installing, unless they are mounted upside down LOL worked for me for many years ! also good for removing water and algee from fuel tanks Just a thought Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 22:53   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44

Long term you could retrofit the drain plug with a oil rated hose fitting and pump. MAkes oil changes very easy
See Cummins marinized by TAD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cummins-4B33-M-dim-2.gif
Views:	310
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	37931  
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 01:58   #9

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: 3gm30, how to change oil ?

Okay, so I changed the oil.
My manual pump with a makeshift plastic tube duct taped was alot of work but well worth it.
I will be getting a 12 volt pump very soon.

There is some very good info in this thread and it's much appreciated.

Btw, what weight oils are we using in the tropics?
40 wt?

I'm still waiting for my Yanmar dealer to get me a service manual or pdf.
I'm starting to think it may never happen.

Thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 07:43   #10

Boat: Pearson 36
Re: 3gm30 - How to change oil ?

I have a 2gm20F (2 cylender fresh water cooled version of your engine) and use this:

BIGBOY Oilchanger at West Marine

This makes the job quick, easy, and is not messy at all. Dont forget to change that Oil filter either!
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 07:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: 3gm30 - How to change oil ?

I use this:

Marpac Portable Fluid Xtractor

The good thing about it is that it also works great for cleaning out fuel tanks - you can actually see the water in the fuel. This one's tubing is 3 different sizes that will connect together AND it tolerates heat VERY well. I use mine to change oil in all 4 of our cars too - and I've had it for about 10 years or so. Only complaint is that the handle broke a couple of years ago.

BTW, when a friend put water in his fuel tank a couple of weeks ago, this thing was just the trick (yes, it was a friend - much more fun to work on this mess on someone else's boat).
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 17:16   #12

Boat: SJ23 1988
Re: 3gm30 - How to Change Oil ?

Ok just did the oil change on mine today.. I'm sorry but this engine is a pain in the ....

I have a tube that runns from the lowest oil drain plug to the front of the engine.. thought that would make it simple and easy.. Heat engine, pop off the locking nut and drain into container... NOT! 4 hrs, a manual vacume pump and taking off all the possible drain plugs to get it all out.

Next time I"m going to do it differently. Not sure how yet but I will figure something out.

I do the dipstick vacume pump on the car all the time. no issue, but this motor and the shalow pan just makes it impossible through the dipstick tube.

Glad yours was better.
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 18:42   #13

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: 3gm30 - How to Change Oil ?

I have (2) 3GM30s and can change oil in about 30 min. each. I use an older model of the pump below. Half the 30 min is waiting for the pump to suck the oil out.

WEST MARINE Manual Oil Changer - 6.9 Quart at West Marine
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 18:51   #14

Boat: Tartan 40
I have a 3YM 30.

I use a drill powered jabsco oil pump. The first few times I used the crappy little plastic tube, which would take 30 minutes of pumping, drop by drop.
Then i had the great idea- hose clamp a larger piece of hose to the top of the dipstick tube, which drains the bottom of the oil pan.
Now with the large bore drain it takes about 2 minutes to drain the oil if that. Now I just need to mount a remote oil filter mount so I don't have to keep spilling from my stupidly sideways mounted oil filter....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 19:05   #15

Boat: Hunter 25.5
In regards to filling the filter I would say to go by the manufacturers recommendation. But, I will never fill any oil filter on anything I own or work on professionally, which I do daily. When people fill oil filters they pour the oil down thru the center "discharge" portion of the filter. If any contamination is introduced there then first component that gets lubed (which is always the most sensitive part) can be damaged. The 1-2 seconds that it takes the pump to fill the filter is not a problem as long as you don't rev the motor high, which is a huge nono for any cold motor ever. I was trained this years ago by Catipilar who has been in the diesel market for many many years, including marine. Sorry for the rant and I hope I didn't step on any toes but that practice is bad news no matter how careful you pour it in.
WrenchBender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, oil change, yanmar