Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 18:51   #1

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
2h Sabb Diesel $ Value

I have a 18hp 2H Sabb diesel engine that I am overhauling. ita has a clutch housing for a variable pitch prop. I just had the head evaluated for machining and determined it needs some crack repair and a valve replaced.

As a result I am thinking about selling the engine complete with the understanding it needs head work.

I can't find anything on-line that helps me to with the value. Its in great condition and repainted. Does anybody have a value for me? This will help me decide to spend the money to complete it to running condition or 'sell as is' and keep my 10hp Sabb.

Mark
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 12:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: 2h Sabb Diesel $ Value

Do you have the variable pitch prop for the engine?? The big selling point, other than the engines simplicity, was the variable pitch prop when I thought about getting one ages ago. The variable pitch propellor went a long way to making their relatively modest horsepower viable in larger boats.

What are the crack issues with the head?? Cast iron can be welded SOMETIMES. You are selling an unknown quantity till the head is fixed. Have probably had about a 50/50 success result with welding cast iron by professionals. Engine would have little value if the head is shot and a replacement can't be obtained.

A non running Saab without the variable pitch prop and a cracked head would have virtually no value. You'd have to find a another Sabb owner that had a bad block or needed the crank or rods. These weren't built in large numbers and production ceased long ago so that would be no easy task

In the engine's favor, they were tough as nails, simple, low speed/high torque engines that developed a cult following.

If I had one, would do everything I could to keep it running in my boat. But then I miss hand cranking my MD2b Volvo.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 13:18   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I believe I have seen a working one at 1500 freedom units (EU cash).

They are loved. Do not sell yourself cheap on this one - store it, find owners, sell for parts, you may be able to recover some amount over time. The rest of it still has some value at local scrap metal dealer.

@rovehi: I think bb is the engine aa is the car: sabb engine, saab car (which I am sure you know)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 14:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thought I'd changed the spelling to Sabb but maybe another strike against auto correct. Had a Saab a few years back and loved the car but someone backed into it at 20mph and totaled it. At least they were both made in Scandinavia
Old 16-03-2016, 14:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

For Borealis, found a number of sites on U-Tube when I googled Sabb. Might want to try contacting some of them to see if they can find you a head. One guy in Florida seemed to have good cobbling skills to get his 1 cyclinder running if you need help with the rebuild.
Old 16-03-2016, 23:06   #6

Boat: Freedom 40

Love me my Sabb 2H. At 4000 hours just got done replacing the pitching propeller, log, and shaft with spares bought by the original owner back in 1979. Have been into most systems and it is an easy engine to work on. Gladly help with info.

Erik

F40 CC Ketch
Old 19-04-2018, 14:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
I have a 18hp 2H Sabb diesel engine that I am overhauling. ita has a clutch housing for a variable pitch prop. I just had the head evaluated for machining and determined it needs some crack repair and a valve replaced.

As a result I am thinking about selling the engine complete with the understanding it needs head work.

I can't find anything on-line that helps me to with the value. Its in great condition and repainted. Does anybody have a value for me? This will help me decide to spend the money to complete it to running condition or 'sell as is' and keep my 10hp Sabb.

Mark
Hi Mark I have the G model and love the fuel economy and ease of maintenance. runs like a top
schaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel