Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 15:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2
2gm20F fresh water pump - details of repair

Looking for help from experienced Yanmar GM owners or pros who have seen this before....

On July 4 cruise, discovered that fresh water pump had failed catastrophically just a few miles from our destination. Tightened the belt a bit so we could limp the rest of the way. On way home, we were able to sail about halfway through narrow waterways in a dying breeze, but after the last of the breeze died and the powerboat chop picked up, had to limp the rest of the way under engines at low revs. Didn't quite make it home before o/heating and finished the last few miles under tow.

I have torn the pump down and consulted the service manual. The service manual is clear that the only path is to replace the pump body assembly, which includes the impeller, bearings, and associated housing. No Problem: the price isn't very high. The question, is whether I have damaged another part, the pump bracket assembly - its outer surface is the inner surface adjacent to the impeller, and it has been gouged by the impeller due to my tightening the belt to keep the engine running.

The gouge is less than 0.1 inches, but the service manual indicates that the tolerance is only about 0.02 inches (though this is intended for those who have pressed new bearings themselves and need to check this).

My sense is that its not worth trying to keep the old bracket assembly - that I should just replace it despite the additional$ for the second (and more expensive) part.
I'm expecting that someone has made the same mistake as me and can advise whether I can get away with the existing bracket.

First photo is pump diagram. Part group 3 is the obvious part to replace. The "gouged" piece is part 10.
Second photo is the gouge - the shiny metal is the dent, less than 0.1 inches deep from the face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fw pump diagram.PNG
Views:	56
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	218771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gouged Pump Bracket.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	218772  

SSAsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 16:05   #2

Re: 2gm20F fresh water pump - details of repair

I’m no mechanic, but why not try it with the new pump first? It’s a metal impeller, so I doubt it will make that much difference. You could also fill the gouged area with JB weld.

I always wondered how much it cost Yanmar to pay an engineer to design a pump that is essentially not rebuildable.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 19:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: 2gm20F fresh water pump - details of repair

I have seen worse wear & the pump still works fine but I'd smooth it off a bit with fine emery.
With just a flat cover plate I skim them in the lathe but a bit more work with your housing.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water pump, water, pump, 2gm20, 2gm