Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 07:48   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 2GM20 Engine Overheating

While you may need to replace the elbow, there is no way that the raw and fresh water are combining in the exhaust or getting into the coolant from elbow. There isn’t any fresh water there.
You can flood an engine from an elbow that has rotted through though.

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:56   #17
cruiser

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
A lot of years back (like early70s) a mechanic told me to remove the mixing elbows every 4 or so years and simply toss them in the trash. He said to not even look inside as that might tempt me to clean them out and reuse them. I have followed that advice pretty closely over the years as mixing elbows are typically not really expensive in the boat ownership game.

Four years back I purchased and installed a 316 SS mixing elbow for my 3GM off ebay. If I can ever get over Hurricane Michael, I plan to see how SS fares in that application. Planning on at least looking before I toss it.

Frankly
I also had problems with my Yanmar's mixing elbow on my previous boat, although I was advised against a stainless replacement (here I think) as the sea water and high temperatures negate the stainless' effectiveness.
I'd be interested in opinions and/or data on that.

Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:00   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

SS is better than iron, which is better than aluminum. However if possible what you want is bronze which supposedly will last the life of an engine.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:24   #19

Thanks again. I'll report back next week once all my parts get here and I can install and clean everything.
Columbia65guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:30   #20

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

It would be a bit of a stretch, but if the exhaust elbow is fouled, and the seals between the tube bank and the HE casing are deteriorated, might get some blow back into the FW cooling system. Wouldn't take much to show up in the closed cooling system, particularly if the water/AF are not changed regurarly. Over the years I have run radiator cleaner through mine a couple of times between changes.

As to the SS elbow, it will be interesting to see if there is any difference. Looks better on the outside at least. In the past (I do really look before I toss them), there has been considerable carbon build up along with the rust ect. On ebay the SS copy was high quality and was less than $25 more than the standard cast Yanmar. She is still running normal temp and I have other priorities so the look see will have to wait.

For two boats with GMs, the elbow replacement, new impellor every 3 or 4 years, and 32 Cal gun cleaning brush for the tubes, have kept my temperatures under control. These are great little engines. The 2GM from my Hunter 30 (Michael left perched on my dock) is sitting in my garage. Was running fine before the storm, but i decided to do some maintenance on it before i put it on Craigs list. Lot easier on a dolly than working in an engine box.

Frankly

Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, engine, heating, overheating