Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 06:34   #1

2015 Mercury 9.9 starter cord

I could not find any specific reference on how to get the cord to retract after the starter cover has been removed. The cord broke about 5 inches from the handle, so I removed the 3 bolts, turned the cover over, and pulled out another 5 inches and reconnected to the handle. I would it back and put the whole thing together, but the cord dangles when pulled and doesn't retract.

Am I missing something when I put it back?

It's a 2015, Merc. 9.9 manual start.
jlarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 07:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 2015 Mercury 9.9 starter cord

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jlarmen.
Wrapping a recoil spring is not that hard, but there are tricks, Youtube will be your friend.
First you need to find out if the spring is broken, just lost its catch and unwound, or something is just bound up.
The starter assy must be off, and on the bench to do this.
Split the pulley, by removing the retaining screws that retain the pulley halves.
Install the rope, kinking it slightly so that it doesn't come undone.
Reassemble and re-install the starter.
Now, looking straight down at the starter, turn the pulley a turn or two, in a counter clockwise direction, to exert a pressure on the spring.
Then, while holding the starter in that position, unkink the cord, and thread it out the starter cord passageway.
Pull the rope all the way out, to make sure that it extends all the way (and retracts). While it's pulled out, tie a slip knot in it, so that it doesn't accidently get away from you and slam back in.
Install the handle, release that slip knot ... and that's it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 09:54   #3

Re: 2015 Mercury 9.9 starter cord

Well, she's in the water, but I am able to get to the top of the assembly and remove it. It retracts, just not with enough force to pull it all the way back to the housing. I'll try that tomorrow starting from scratch like the video. I'll post my progress.
jlarmen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercury