Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 07:10   #1

2 stroke or 4 stroke outboard

Which is more dependable and easier to fix, a two-stroke or a 4 stroke? I'm looking for a 15hp short shaft outboard
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 07:12   #2

Re: 2 stroke of 4 stroke outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
Which is more dependable and easier to fix, a two-stroke or a 4 stroke? I'm looking for a 15hp short shaft outboard

In that size I don't think there's much difference - both are pretty reliable. Most problems are associated with fuel (carburetors gummed up, etc) or water pumps.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 07:28   #3

Boat: Newport 28

Depending on the year of each, could be a decent weight difference. But operation-wise, you trade off the need to mix fuel, for just making sure you keep on top of your oil. Overall maintenance though, most are about the same but people sometimes regard 2-strokes as easier or simpler due to less parts without needing the separate oil system.
Old 29-09-2020, 08:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

2-strokes are way lighter, can be carried and sat down in any orientation, require less maintenance and are much easier to keep running as they age. I

f they get flooded when a dinghy flips or is swamped the 2-stroke is much easier to deal with bringing back to life and much more likely to survive the experience unscathed -even multiple times.

But some people don't like the noise, the mosquito-repellant fog they sometimes pump out, or the mixing of the oil which to some is a huge hassle. None of that bothers me. I really like being able to carry ours in one hand as I climb over the lifelines and down into the dinghy. Keep it simple and easy is my philosophy.

You can not technically buy new ones in the US but I see new little Chinese ones on Amazon and Ebay so there must be some loophole there or just flying below the radar.

Plenty of used ones out there for sale cheap.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 08:36   #5

Quote:
Which is more dependable
4-Stroke

Quote:
[Which is] easier to fix
2-Stroke
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 09:03   #6

2 strokes is much easier to maintain.
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 09:04   #7

Both Tohatsu and Suzuki now make fuel injected 15hp 4 cycle. This makes them much less prone to ethanol and other carburetor related problems - which has always been the great majority of outboard reliability issues in either 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

I have a Suzuki fuel injected 25hp on a Boston Whaler and it is by far the best outboard I've ever owned. Quiet. Starts instantly. Idles perfectly. And the weight difference between 2 and 4 cycle has narrowed a lot. The 15hp Suzuki is 98lbs.

I will never buy a carbureted outboard again.

I also don't find any real maintenance time difference between 2 cycle and 4 cycle. With the four cycle you have to change the oil once a year which takes half an hour (it's only a quart of oil and it can be done with the RIB in the water). I prefer that to the day to day challenges of a 2 cycle - hard starting, mixing oil and changing fouled spark plugs.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 09:36   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Count me in the 2 stroke camp. I have a great Tohatsu 3.5hp - at 26 pounds it is simple to carry in one hand when taking from the mothership to the dinghy. Starts first time every time despite being 20 years old and never fouls plugs contrary to what other poster said. Only maintenance I have to do is change the gear oil/impeller/spark plug once a year. Simple, reliable, and a piece of gear I don't worry about breaking down on me.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 09:36   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I'm with Carl. I'm particularly with him if you can find a fuel injected model, and if you don't need to take the motor off the boat between uses. The difference in weight is no longer as much as it used to be, And I got tired of fouled plugs. Now I run a 4HP Tohatsu on the dinghy and a 40 HP Tohatsu on the run-about, both four stroke. They start when you ask them to.
Old 29-09-2020, 09:39   #10

Boat: Cal-40

4 stroke runs cleaner, more fuel efficient, more quiet, might have longer life if maintained.On the down side they are slightly larger, more heavy, less HP for its size/weight, cost more to buy, have many more moving parts, more to maintain . For overall reliability and ease of use the two stroke is much better. Now I know there are some who are not going to agree with me on this and that’s ok, but trust me here. I live on an island in remote Alaska and there is no road connecting my home to town. It’s very common here and skiffs are like our cars, our very lifeblood. Two stroke outboards just have less issues especially when it comes to the small fuel jets that often give problems in the newer 4 stroke engines. For my sailboat I bought a brand new Yamaha 4 stroke that gave me no end of issues with carbonation and fuel jets, this outboard now sits in storage and has been replaced with a low hour 1990 Yamaha 2stoke that starts every time and never missed a beat. Get a clean condition 2 stroke, lightweight more power for size and less to go wrong, you will thank me later.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 10:09   #11

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Is no one on here concerned about the environment? Two strokes are HORRIBLY polluting compared to four strokes.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 10:34   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

Depends where you are. There have been no 15 hp 2-stroke outboards sold in the USA since 2005 so here you are looking at used motors that in many cases are run out. Parts availability varies depending on manufacturer and how far back you go but we are now at the point where some routine service parts for major brands have to be special ordered.

I have a 1998 two stroke and a 2003 four stroke.

The modern four-stroke motors are extremely reliable, in my experience more reliable than two-stroke mainly because they are less prone to plug fouling at low speeds.

The four stroke requires oil changes which are frankly less work than the other annual maintenance e.g. impeller and gearcase. It will go into hydraulic lock if set on the wrong side. I have replaced the camshaft belt as a preventative measure, which of course a two stroke doesn't require.

For a two stroke you have to mix oil. Not difficult but a little messy and one more supply item to keep around. Fuel economy is worse by almost 2:1 especially at reduced throttle. In certain sizes these are quite a bit lighter than four strokes of the same size, due to the lack of a camshaft and valve train, and due to the fact that the size breaks are at different points. (In 4 stroke most 15hp are really 20hp motors that are derated, while in 2 stroke most 9.9hp are really 15hp motors that are derated, for example, so there is little weight difference at 9.9 and quite a bit at 15)

But most of the maintenance is exactly the same. Both have needed the carbs disassembled and cleaned. Both have had new fuel pumps as a precaution. Both need impellers, gear oil, and plugs once a year.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 10:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Is no one on here concerned about the environment? Two strokes are HORRIBLY polluting compared to four strokes.
That wasn't really the question though. If you're concerned about an environmentally clean engine, then feel free to voice your opinion.

However, be cautious in making blanket accusations that the rest of us are ignoring (what is important to you) when pollution and environment wasn't the scope of the discussion.

Yes, I'm personally concerned about pollution and I run a 4 stroke.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 10:44   #14

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

Ther is a two letter word in the title of your post, and you spelt it incorrectly!
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 10:55   #15

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Look at what is popular in third world countries: Yamaha Enduro 2-stroke.....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, outboard, 2 stroke