Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 11:13   #16

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35
Re: 2 stroke of 4 stroke outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
Ther is a two letter word in the title of your post, and you spelt it incorrectly!

Riting iz hard.

Yes, but thankfully the moderators have bottle of tippex for just this sort of problem Pete7
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 12:28   #17

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Look at what is popular in third world countries: Yamaha Enduro 2-stroke.....
Yup, have one on Bacchus. Never even cleaned a plug the past 3 years. Ice cold it starts on 1st pull. The guys in the islands want nothing else as they are very dependable and should they need parts they are very easy to get. I was also told “if it doesn’t start on the 1st pull something is wrong!”

Remember I am talking Enduro, not the basic 2-stroke Yamaha.
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 13:00   #18

Boat: Cold Molded Davidson 32 Built NZ

Quote:
There's a reason. Plus 2 strokes will spool up quicker. No turbo though although the seem like it.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 13:24   #19

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

My 4 stroke 9.9 tohatsu took a serious dunking when my rib and me got caught in a break and was dragged around a sandy bottom for 10 mins,
Pulled everything out washed clean water through inner
Pulled out air intake, and stripped carburetor and washed in petrol cleaned and dried and changed oil. First pull started . So 4 strokes can take a good dunking as well
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 13:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: 2 stroke or 4 stroke outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Is no one on here concerned about the environment? Two strokes are HORRIBLY polluting compared to four strokes.
Yes you are right, but lets put that into focus. We use 5 litres of petrol a year in the outboard. I use that a week to travel to work on my Suzuki 650.

We are actually using a little Honda 2.3hp at the moment. Not because it's a 4 stroke and clean, but because you can't buy a small 2 stroke for leisure use in the UK and haven't for some years, or I would have a new little 3.5hp. The last one lasted 15 years with one change of the spark plug. That's pretty environmentally friendly in my book.

So tell me, do you have a car? and what engine does it have?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 14:11   #21

I do agree that 2 strokes are pretty awful pollution wise because they emit large amounts of unburned hydrocarbons, mainly at idle, most of which end up in the water. At idle it can be over 50% of the fuel flow. This is the main reason 4 strokes have been adopted.

I agree that there is a question of environmental stewardship at work for those who choose to purchase an Enduro in areas where they are still for sale rather than purchase a 4 stroke in their home country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

So tell me, do you have a car? and what engine does it have?

I have an electric car.

I don't agree that having an electric car is a prerequisite to being concerned. The hydrocarbon emissions from small two-stroke outboards are staggering even in absolute rather than percentage terms. Quite possibly greater than those from a gasoline car that is used many more hours per year.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 15:43   #22

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

I mix at >50:1 and relish the mosquito protection.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 16:38   #23

Boat: B27

I had an old Johnson 40 HP back in the day and on the pop down cover it said to add one quart of SAE 30 to 6 gallons of gas.

That's 25 to 1.

And when you started the thing, it left an oil slick at the dock.

It's 2020 folks, and time to go a bit cleaner with a 4 stroke.

No argument.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:47   #24

I don't have one but Evinrude eTec is 2-stroke tech that surpasses 4-stroke in emissions. I have a friend with a pair of 200s on his fishing boat. He swears by them and says the fuel economy is great. They come in 15 to 300HP and are still sold in the nanny state US so they must meet emission standards.

From their website:

Is Evinrude E-TEC a 2-Stroke or a 4-Stroke technology? ... The technology is considered 2-Stroke, Direct Injection. Evinrude E-TEC in fact, has cleaner exhaust emissions than a 4-stroke, it produces 5 to 10 times less Carbon Monoxide (CO) while idling or trolling.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I don't have one but Evinrude eTec is 2-stroke tech that surpasses 4-stroke in emissions. I have a friend with a pair of 200s on his fishing boat. He swears by them and says the fuel economy is great. They come in 15 to 300HP and are still sold in the nanny state US so they must meet emission standards.

From their website:

Is Evinrude E-TEC a 2-Stroke or a 4-Stroke technology? ... The technology is considered 2-Stroke, Direct Injection. Evinrude E-TEC in fact, has cleaner exhaust emissions than a 4-stroke, it produces 5 to 10 times less Carbon Monoxide (CO) while idling or trolling.
Unfortunately, Bombardier (the company that makes Etechs) has or is ceasing production this year.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:50   #26

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
That wasn't really the question though. If you're concerned about an environmentally clean engine, then feel free to voice your opinion.

However, be cautious in making blanket accusations that the rest of us are ignoring (what is important to you) when pollution and environment wasn't the scope of the discussion.

Yes, I'm personally concerned about pollution and I run a 4 stroke.

I was just concerned that in the pros and cons that were being mentioned for each option, impact on the environment was rarely brought up. I realize that, for one smallish engine, the impact is minimal, but I'm really concerned about the apparent attitude of many: "not my problem". The attitude is really bothering. The world we are leaving our children and grandchildren will be largely unlivable and unsustainable. We are already seeing that. Californians are leaving in droves. The Canadian immigration website was crashed again after this week's presidential debate by Americans inquiring about emmigrating to Canada. For the past month I've been living in the smoke from the Pacific Northwest wildfires. Today is no exception. It's really scary! And yes, it's off (or at least tangential to) the topic.

I also realize that full-time cruisers and others who make their boats their only home, have FAR LESS impact on the environment than do the average first-world person living ashore, and THAT I applaud.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 15:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Unfortunately, Bombardier (the company that makes Etechs) has or is ceasing production this year.

Ken
Oops, guess meeting standards is harder and harder = more $$ and more $$..
Old 03-10-2020, 16:37   #28

Boat: Tasman 40' catamaran

we have a 2 stroke (8hp mariner) simply because it's lighter. as you can't buy 2 stroke outboards in Oz any more, plan to treasure the living daylights out of it and keep it going forever !

cheers,
Old 04-10-2020, 09:02   #29

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
if you sail the caribean better to have a 4 stoke because nobody will steal it!!!
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:37   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Ken
Indeed.

"... Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand ..."

BRP ADVANCES MARINE STRATEGY BY FOCUSING ON BOATS AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES - BRP

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, outboard, 2 stroke