Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 07:56   #1

Post 1989 Tayana Vancouver 42 Zinc Replacement

Hey Fellas,

I have a beautiful 1989 Tayana Vancouver 42, and the zinc anode in the center of the propeller appears to be shot/sacrificed. Now that I must replace it immediately, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me on how many zinc anodes are on this boat and what type/specs they are.

What I found in the owner's manual is as follows:

"Sacrificial zincs are or should be bolted onto each side of your keel just forward of the shaft and or on your rudder. These rectangular zincs are unique and referred to as “Tayana” or “Taiwan” zincs. West Marine and other major boat stores sell this type of zinc. A 1-1/4 inch donut zinc is also installed on the propeller shaft.. You should check zincs frequently at first to see how fast the metal is sacrificed. You will then have some ideas of how often they must be replaced. It is not a bad idea to have a separate zinc clipped to a shroud and hung over the side while at the dock. This will save your installed zincs and offer some extra protection. To be effective, of course, it must be clipped to a metal part that is wired into the bonding system. If your boat uses a ‘shaft damper’, a brush must be installed to arc the engine block to the metal shaft."

This a not clear at all. How many are needed? What are the types of each one of them? Do I have to have the zinc cut out in order to place it on the boat?

Any input is much appreciated. Thank you.
heavyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 07:59   #2

Re: 1989 Tayana Vancouver 42 Zinc Replacement

Here is the part that says the zinc needs to be cut down:

"Electrical System. Make sure that the bonding wires with green insulation are connected to all metal parts such as chainplates, through-hulls, and tanks. Also, be sure to put a zinc on the shaft as this is not done at the factory. A 1 1/4" shaft zinc is required and the width may have to be cut down about 1/8" to fit on the exposed portion of shaft."
heavyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 08:22   #3

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

The boat takes 2 zincs on the keel and a shaft collar zinc is helpful.

ZHC-2 Zinc Anode ZHC-2 2 25.20
LC-5 Micro Thin Collar Zinc Anode - 1-1/4" Shaft LC-5 1 14.08

The above is from BoatZincs.com. ZHC-2 is also known as "Taiwan zincs"

The one on your prop is a proprietary zinc for most props. Is there any documentation of what prop you have? Or a picture of it?

Regarding the shaft zinc make sure you have 1/4" or more clearance between the zinc and the boat for water flow. Make sure the exit hole for the water is clear. You can use a regular shaft zinc but you'll have to cut it down. Or just buy the thin collar as above.
I have been very happy with Boatzincs.com
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 08:31   #4

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

If you're not a member yet there is a Tayana Owner's Group on Facebook and a fantastic Google Newsgroup at Tayana Owners Group Newsletter

Looks at "projects & pubs" most is T37 info but there is a lot of very good info on V42s. Download the Index of /Projects/Cutlass Bearings file.

It's for a T37 but the same on a V42. Mind you the studs are BST 1/2 X13 but the threads are a different angle than standard threads. I have seen two V42s badly butchered by not having these pictures and information.

There is an Owners Manual for the V42 in "publications" which is helpful but keep in mind all 200 V42s were semi custom built so interior, tank placement wiring, etc. may vary..
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, vancouver