Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 13:48   #1

Boat: Ticon 30
1985 Volvo Penta parts

Hello. I believe my Penta engine needs a starter. Jumping past the solenoid (something I did when my solenoid relay failed) only causes bad sounds and does not turn the engine over. Checking all connections, etc. I believe it has to be the starter that looks like original equipment. Having a very difficult time finding this starter. The engine is a Penta 2002 from around 1985. Does anyone know of a good parts source for these engines?
Thanks
Ticonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 15:40   #2

Boat: 1973 van de stadt
Re: 1985 Volvo Penta parts

I have a 2000 series in the family boat, run it for about 20 years.

I have had several episodes where the starter gave out, I have always taken mine in to a local marine electrical repair for testing. My experience has been the unit can be refurbished or a new solenoid solved the problem.

My last repair was not so easy and a leaking heat exchanger burned out the starter. However, my local marine electric had a hitachi starter that works great. No reason to pay the absurd cost of a Volvo starter.

Give it a try.
spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:31   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

What Spotfire said.
I have had both starters and alternators rebuilt at a fraction of the price of new.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 09:33   #4

Hello again. Sorry about the delay, I'm a newbie.
Anyway, got the starter and alternator for about $100 each here in Detroit area. They fit up fine, yet to be tested though. Getting the old starter off was a bit of a challenge. I had to remove most of the copper plumbing to gain access. I also removed the water pump to replace a broken motor mount which I found in England. My next question is since I have the heat exchanger and water pump off, do they require any periodic cleaning or maintenance? I can't really find anything in the partial manuals I have that addresses this.
Thanks!!
Old 18-04-2021, 10:37   #5

The coolant pump. if it has no leaks visible, should be ok.

The gear driven freshwater pump, is the pump needing the most attention. The impeller may need periodic replacement.

The big job is if the pump is leaking, it needs to be rebuilt. You can buy the rebuild kit, and its a pretty straightforward job.
Old 18-04-2021, 11:12   #6

to check the heat exchanger, remove the end caps and check the interior baffle to see there is no crud in there.

Get a battery brush and use it to clean the inside and outside of the tubing joints to bare metal. Any crud in the joint will cause leaks, so take your time cleaning.

You will have to buy replacement rubber rings, and sorry, I have tried various o rings and washers, but only the rubber rings from volvo do the job.

Once the cooling system is reassembled, we even added caulking over the joint directly above the starter solenoid before adding coolant to assure water tight seal.

I usually fill the coolant from the highest point in the system to avoid any air, even pulling the thermostat to fill.

Once you are done , run the moter until the thermostat opens to make sure no leaks, and no air.
Old 19-04-2021, 15:04   #7

Spotfire - Thanks for the advice here. I was wondering if there were any tricks to the refill. I'll do it as you describe.

I looked in the heat exchanger and it looked pretty good. I ran the garden hose through it - brown at first then quickly cleared up; good flow. I have ordered new rings from Parts4Engines.com in England - the only place that I could find that had them. I just got new engine mounts from them as well - also the only source I could find.

When the parts get here I'll re-assemble and let you know how it went. Thanks
again.

Tags
parts, penta, volvo