Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2019, 06:47   #1

1971 Evinrude won’t start. Need troubleshooting ideas

Need guidance. Motor keeps turning over but won’t start. New plugs installed. Is getting fuel. Starter and cylinoid are only 3-4 years old and the boats only been in fresh water. Going to put new/fresh gas in it today. 1971 evinrude

What else should I check?
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 07:30   #2

Boat: Baba 35
Re: 1971 Evinrude won’t start. Need troubleshooting ideas

Spray some starter fluid and see if it wants to fire. If it doesn't check your plugs. New plugs gapped? Plugs have gas on them from carrying the motor around?
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 07:38   #3

Boat: Baba 35

Mine is having issue firing up because the needle and float are having problems in the carb. It isn't stopping the gas from flooding it. I am taking that apart today.

I am learning these things from my father as he helps me with my outboard. He is pretty good.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 08:43   #4

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

She's a 2-stroke? I've a mid 1980's Mariner which had been in store over 5 years. When I took the carb to bits (which wasn't eye-wateringly difficult), I was expecting to see gummy deposits where the fuel had evaporated. Yes, it had been run dry last time used, but there would still be a very thin layer of fuel over the various carb surfaces. But, even the gummy deposits had evaporated, leaving an almost chalky deposit, Fortunately, they cleaned up reasonably ok with meths (alcohol) and a toothbrush. I also recommend very fine inter-dental brushes to clean out the jets. But I hope my hygenist doesn't read this!
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 09:10   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Probably needs points and condensers. Does it have spark?
Old 22-06-2019, 09:20   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

Fuel, compression, and spark. All you need. Which don’t you have?
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 11:42   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A very high % of small engine issues are carb related. If its getting spark then I would next tear down the carb to inspect/clean.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 11:59   #8

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

I converted my old 1974 Evinrude and Johnson 2hp outboards to solid state. They have better spark and start in wet weather.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 08:14   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

A motor of that age, I would be checking compression
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 09:56   #10

Boat: Oyster 56

As stated above motors just need compression, spark and fuel to run.
You say it won’t start rather than it won’t turn over so I presume it’s cranking ok.
Don’t rush to pull carbs apart until you have positively confirmed which of these three is the issue.
I’d usually start by pulling the plugs setting them on the block so they can get an earth and getting someone to key the starter. In bright sunlight you may struggle to see the spark, so do in the shade. You mention solenoid and starter so I guess larger motor which at 71 would have solid state ignition.
Then if you have a spark and if you have the tool run a compression test. You are looking for compressions all within 10psi.
Assuming you have a spark and compression then check fuel. Electric start 71 Evinrudes are likely to be multi carb motors so a no start (rather than a misfire) is likely to be upstream from carb. Is the choke operating? Is the primer bulb pumping up hard? Can you hear the float chambers filling as you prime alternatively can you push fuel through and out the carb bowl drain screws with the primer bulb?
When you post back please include details of motor .
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:31   #11

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

If its a 2-stroke, and it has spark then its most likely carb related. I might take the spark plug out and see if it is wet with fuel at all (flooding). If not then try squirting a small quantity (tsp) of gas into the spark plug hole, reinstall the plug and try starting. If it tries to fire you know there is life in the beast. Then concentrate on cleaning out the carb. Not really that hard. Just work in a clean area and be methodical and dont spare the "carb cleaner".
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:13   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban-Alleria View Post
If its a 2-stroke ...
Evinrude only manufactured 2-stroke engines. They introduced direct-injection E-Tec (2-Stroke) models in the 1990's.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 06:08   #13

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The internal seals and fuel lines on the pre -ethanol engines will melt and clog the carb and fuel pump with today's ethanol gas. Replace them with current, ethanol rated material. Also make sure your fuel is fresh and the oil mixture is correct. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 15:11   #14

Boat: Friends Yachts now!

Hi, Many fuel problems with 2 strokes are related to the "varnishes" or residue that is left in your entire fuel system from 2 stroke oils.
JUST USE REGULAR OIL 15w40 or anything your engine uses at about 50 to 1 ratio and NO RESIDUE will be left to block the jets. 2 hp to 200 hp 2 stroke.
Advantages include cooler piston and more power. Always leaving clean internal bearings with oil (NOT VARNISH RESIDUE)
Leaves your tank very clean.
Disadvantages are : Although hard to find there is a small amount more smoke when cold for about 30 seconds.
Possibly a slightly higher emissions as this is the main reason that special agents are added to 2 stroke oil to vaporize and burn cleaner. However the engine suffers from this lack of lubrication from blocked jets (= less oil) over time.
This is real and not just an idea! Cheers John.
John Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 13:00   #15

1971 Evinrude won’t start. Need troubleshooting ideas

So after weeks of troubleshooting and eventually giving up and dragging her to a mechanic, here’s what happened. The mechanic checked compression which was only at 50%, removed his tools and called me to say junk it and pay $100. I asked if he checked the carbs which he had not so I brought her home, pulled both carbs, soaked them in Seafoam, reinstalled and.....got her humming. She runs a little rough but she runs.
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evinrude