Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 17:54   #1
rma

Boat: C&C 38
17 year-old hose sold as new?

Hello all,

I'm wondering what the shelf life of marine hose is? By shelf life I mean, it was sitting in a shed exposed to hot summers and cold winters (Connecticut) for 17 years. This hose was sold to me for the cost of "discounted" new hose by the Beta Marine distributor in my area. I only noticed that the hose says 2003 on it once I brought it back to the boat. I bought some 2 in wet exhaust hose that says 2006 on it. Some 3/4 in wire reinforced water hose that is from 2012, and some non-reinforced 1 in wet exhaust hose that says 2003 on it. The year is 2020! Even if the hose is "new old stock" surely it has a shelf life being exposed to harsh summer and winter temperatures for so long. All in, we're talking about $250 worth of hose.

I need to maintain a good relationship with the distributor throughout the engine installation process as I'm doing it all myself and need his advice. However, I can't help feeling like I've been seriously taken advantage of. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point, I'm planning on calling Trident and Shields in the morning to find out their thoughts on shelf life but I'm planning on telling the distributor that the hoses are very old and that he likely sold them to me by mistake (even though we all know that is not the case) and that I'd like him to replace them with brand new hoses. Honestly, his "discounted" price was barely less than I can get them from Defender where I know they'll be brand new.

After spending >$10K on a new engine from him I feel like the least he can do is right this situation by giving me all new hose.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
rma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 17 year-old hose sold as new?

Call the hose manufacturer, most likely it will be ok, shelf life of rubber components like O-rings, seals and hoses for aircraft is 5 years, just for comparison.
My exhaust hose in my boat is circa 1987 and seems fine, but if I were installing new, I’d want newer hoses myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote