Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2024, 01:05   #1

Boat: Colin Archer 42
15hp outboard on 9ft tinny

Hello!
I am opting to upgrade my outboard engine on this small aluminum dinghy i have.
I now have a 6hp suzuki but cant get anywhere near planing with it with more then one person.
Im in indonesia and the only real option is a 15hp enduro thats available here...
My tinny is 2.5meter, would this be a bad idea? I mostly use it as transportation to shore and to the surf, with 3 people on board.
Something tells me it will be overpowered but then again we get nowhere far now with current engine.
Any advise/experience welcome!
Matty.VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 02:24   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: 15hp outboard on 9ft tinny

Overpowered with 15 HP? Likely.
In Oz, every boat needs a compliance plate since 80s or 90s. That plate tells you the max persons safely on board, load capacity and max HP outboard if applicable.

The Yamaha enduro 15 HP is a very good outboard though (I have one), but weighs around 48 kg, and you needs a tank to go with it has; it uses a lot more fuel than the 6HP at low speeds. Even then with 15 HP, 3 people plus surfboards etc. It might not plane that well, as it will sit deep in the water.
You needs to have ways to lift that outboard down to the dinghy and on return ... up again, unless you have very sturdy davits. Hmmm I see you have a colin archer design. canoe stern? no davits then.

Maybe you can borrow a local 15 HP engine and see how that goes.
Old 20-06-2024, 03:27   #3

Boat: Colin Archer 42

Thanks for your reply! That confirms my concerns, maybe first get a new dinghy! Sadly everything good quality is hard to find in Indonesia, so probably ill ceep rolling with what we got ��
Matty.VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 03:46   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I would have thought 15hp would be too much. If you are in indo consider a Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke (26kg)
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 12:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

15 and9 hp are going to weigh about the same. Go with the 15 and donít twist the throttle all the way. If you get a bigger dinghy later you will have the motor already.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 13:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Most 9 and 15 hp OB's are the same engine, with the 15 just spooling up another 500 rpm or so.

That said, I had a 15 hp Suzuki on a previous dink, an 11 footer and it was, to say the least, overpowered. It will put three people, and all their gear on plane without any trouble.
However, careful use of the throttle should keep you out of trouble.

Don't be tempted to run it wide open as you and the dink will likely end up in the briny.

On the downside, it's bloody heavy and getting it on and off the dink is a chore.
It will also suck gas at a prodigious rate.

I later downsized to an 8 hp-two stroke Yahama, probably the sweetest engine ever made. If you can get your hands on one of these, get it.
It won't put three people on plane, but will do two.
You can pick it up with one hand to boot.....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 14:03   #7

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43í

We had a 10' Hydro-Force inflatable with a 9.9 which was well balanced and had enough power and speed to pull the grandkids on a kneeboard with three people onboard. Now, we have the same engine on an 8' inflatable which is noticeably overpowered and overly sensitive at full throttle.

Why did we change from the Hydro-Force inflatable? The glue failed. The Hypalon fabric is like new but after two years, the transom fell out due to glue failure. The boat was rated for a 15 so it wasn't overpowered. That was repaired but the seat mounts, oar mounts, the other side of the transom, and the seams have failing glue so the boat is no longer safe. We had a good deal on the 8' inflatable but should have waited for a 10'.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard