Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 08:01   #46

Re: Your opinions on this Tri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Would be interesting to see if the seller and broker are willing to deliver that far for a survey. What's the beam?
I proposed it and they're OK with St.Augustine which has an ideal ramp situation, no cranes required.

They have a catamaran lifting ramp with a Conolift hydraulic lift trailer that can haul up to 30 tons.
Old 23-07-2017, 08:04   #47
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicocrispi View Post
I proposed it and they're OK with St.Augustine. The beam is 31'6".

Sounds like your working with some great owners and broker. Would make for a decent sea trial.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:47   #48

Boat: Gulf 32

Can't speak to the hull as no experience, but based on some decent experience back in the day sailing a cat ketch I really loved that setup... don't have to touch anything to tack, wing and wing downwind, lots of fun and easy to short hand.
Old 23-07-2017, 17:14   #49

Boat: 2 tris and others

Hi, I do have an opinion First, I like multihulls, tris in particular and I think CW does some of the best. I own a 33 foot tri and think it is great. However, I have also spent some time on monohulls in the med, and I am pretty convinced that for YOUR expressed use, a big, comfortable and narrow! monohull is a far better choice. Distances are not that great in the med, and being able to fit in the marinas and stern to docks is far more important than sailing speed. Multis are great open ocean greyhounds, they work well in un-improved shallow island anchorages, but in the cramped deep water med, they are really out of their element. Consider very carefully what you are really wanting to do with a boat.
That boat also has a pretty "basic" finish. It wouldn't bother me too much, but the finish standards are quite high in the med, and even if it doesn't matter to you, you get much more respect if your boat at least "fits in". It sounds and IS "snooty" but it is also real life. You just get better treatment if you and your boat are considered "nice". These days, anything under about 100 feet is considered little there.
B
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 18:23   #50

Hello Bruce.

I know the Med, I've cruised it and I've raced it from 505 dingies to 65' Swans and much of what you say is to the point and quite correct.
Having said that, one can write whole books about what kind of boat is best suited for those waters and it would far exceed the scope of this forum. Suffice it to say that I share many of the reservations that you articulate.

You may have read, earlier in this thread, that I questioned the choice between this Tri and a Hans Christian cutter, a question that many Tri aficionados criticised me for but one that seems to address your points.
Old 23-07-2017, 19:11   #51

Whoa! Look what I found on this older thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ty-158956.html

Quote: "Carissa has the old Juniper unstayed masts/sails. Henck sailed Juniper with the new stayed rig. Different boats. Somewhere in his book on web site, Chris talks about the limitations of the old unstayed rig and the sort of whiplash effect it gave.

I considered Carissa, but having read Chris' account of the unstayed rig, I felt I would need to re-rig the boat to get what I was after." Quote.

Coincidentally I was speaking with the owner this morning and I raised the mast issue as it was of concern to me before and much more so now. I'll be calling CW tomorrow.
Old 23-07-2017, 19:37   #52

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

It might be interesting to ask CW about a hardware solution. It's been years since I looked at this rig but do the masts rotate? If so keep the masts but add a bearing fitting at the tops to allow stays but the masts still turn for furling. He'd know if it could handle the increased loads.and tendency for the mast centers to bell. I do remember Dick Newick did the ones for his 50' tri, built with the CC panels off the same mold, differently after seeing Chris' boat sailing. Plans for that rig could probably be sourced in the Newick plan collection at the Mariners Museum in Newport News

As to med style
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 20:28   #53

The loose footed sails drop in lazy jacks, are secured to articulated booms which are then raised to a vertical position and attached against the masts. Sounds good and easy.

I am very concerned about those 6 piece tapered hollow wood/fiberglass epoxy masts built back in 1981 (!) and subject to who knows how many crash jibes. I'm not ready to pay for removing the masts and performing a thermal imaging survey or changing the rig.

This brings me back full circle to the question as to why CW does not have the sales listing for this boat. We'll see.
Old 23-07-2017, 21:22   #54

If I had the cash, I'd be there. Let us know what you find out. This boat has been on the market for years. I've been watching the price drop, and the account grow. Chris said the boat should be sound. Maybe just cleaned up after it's been sitting so long. He was a little short on his email reply after I asked about the possible condition. The original Juniper looks as though it has had some front repair work done on it, but still, I love the Chris White philosophy ... If you make the offer on Carisa, it'll make my planning much easier. Cheers!
steveth3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 22:01   #55

The short answer about the listing is if you are the seller and don't use CW you don't have to pay him.
Old 24-07-2017, 13:07   #56

Here is an entertaining rig suggestion. Cut down the masts a bit and use Wharram Tiki style sails on the now stayed masts. The shortened section will have less mid section flex and it will probably point better than what is there now allowing the use of a jib.. It will also add a salty appeal.
Old 24-07-2017, 13:11   #57
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

A Marples designed constant camber 44' tri for sale.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998.../United-States
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 14:51   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Here is an entertaining rig suggestion. Cut down the masts a bit and use Wharram Tiki style sails on the now stayed masts. The shortened section will have less mid section flex and it will probably point better than what is there now allowing the use of a jib.. It will also add a salty appeal.
Better yet, pull both masts and install carbon unstayed rigs.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 20:05   #59
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

It might be suitable for a mastfoil conversion. Something to ask Chris about though I'm not sure it's been as successful as he'd hoped.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 09:22   #60

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Chris has been pretty innovative in trying to carve out a niche in the market. I'm intrigued by the mastfoil design, but I have to question the mast placement on Carissa being suitable for it.

Nico, despite my (and Chris') reservations about the rig, I think Carissa represents a great opportunity for someone whose interest is in voyaging. There are not many other boats available with that clear a focus.

Cheers,