Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2017, 18:08   #16

Re: Your opinions on this Tri.

Hulls and decks are vacuum bagged triple diagonal Alaska Yellow Cedar using WEST System[emoji768] epoxy resin with glass/epoxy exterior skin
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 18:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
It almost certainly isn't strip plank. This design was made for Constant Camber. A system where two or three layers of diagonal planking was made in a production run. Nice system but it can't do complex shapes. Strip plank in multis needs a fair bit of glass over the timber. This bare timber has no or very light glass sheathing.

Great boat though - I would jump at one if I wanted an ocean crossing thoroughbred.
OK, that's what I thought as well. Anyway CW will know the details.
Old 21-07-2017, 18:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Hulls and decks are vacuum bagged triple diagonal Alaska Yellow Cedar using WEST System[emoji768] epoxy resin with glass/epoxy exterior skin
It pays to read, eh?

As you say " Hulls and decks are vacuum bagged triple diagonal Alaska Yellow Cedar using WEST System® epoxy resin with glass/epoxy exterior skin
Crossbeams are epoxy laminated Douglas Fir and marine plywood
Sterling® polyurethane exterior finish with contrasting boot top.
Epoxy/glass composite rudder blade with solid marine grade stainless steel stock turning in low friction bushings."

I got stuck on that one "marine plywood" mention. Shame on me, I'm too excited about the rigg to retain what I read.
Old 21-07-2017, 18:39   #19

I really don't get how you can be split between a tri and a Hans Christian. Two polar opposite boats. Plus, if you like the furniture boat look, what's wrong with the wood in Juniper 2?
Old 21-07-2017, 19:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I really don't get how you can be split between a tri and a Hans Christian. Two polar opposite boats. Plus, if you like the furniture boat look, what's wrong with the wood in Juniper 2?
As I said in post #6, just a decision to be made between life at a 45° angle and 200 mile days. All I know is that if I go with this Tri I'll have to find me a nice lightweight sailing tender I can haul aboard because this 32ft beam won't fit in any marina slips.
Old 22-07-2017, 09:05   #21

Boat: Pearson

I ALSO LOVE TRIS.... Not familiar with yours, what engine? Wish I had pics of her. How much? Hull type? Ketch rigged? Centerboard? Whats her beam?😍
Old 22-07-2017, 09:20   #22

Well, you asked. My opinion? Not for me and I like tris BUT I like the ones built for cruising and live aboard and from the pics I see a racer and not a liveaboard. I prefer those with cabins that extend out to the outside of the amas, with access to the amas from both the saloon and the outside, with amas tall enough to walk in, each with a head and a full head w/shower up front and an enclosed pilothouse... you get the idea. My boat "druthers" and yours aren't the same, so asking for my opinion is like asking which is better, Ford or Chevy and someone says Mopar. The main thing is to get it and sail it.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:46   #23

It is a performance cruiser, not a racing boat, certainly not a tricondomaran.
Old 22-07-2017, 10:14   #24

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

So you like gelcoat interior, sailing flat and the possibility of 200 mile days? And why are you not looking at cats? Seems that most cats fit all your criteria better than either this tri or a Hans Christian.

Matt
Old 22-07-2017, 10:23   #25

Boat: Outremer 42

Couldn't see a windlass. If you're in the Med you'll need one. Autopilot may be man enough as this should be very light on the helm. Like others, apart from the price point I don't get the comparison between Hans Christian and this CW. The tri interior looks fine to me and if you wish to slowly improve it, you can do so over time.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 11:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicocrispi View Post
As I said in post #6 and #20, just a decision to be made between life at a 45° angle and 200 mile days.....
Etc, etc.
Old 22-07-2017, 11:27   #27

Boat: L 34

Wwhhaaaaat, !!!! $ 180 000 for a trimaran.?! You multihull guys are more worthy of institutialising than I thought. Hesus H Kristos, how fascinating the diversity of tastes of a finite species. Maybe having Adam and Eve as our common parents has lead to a little excessive in-breeding. . . . . . .
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 14:54   #28

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

This tri is an excellent choice - for a particular buyer.

The reason White designed a long and simple tri was to get more seaworthiness out of particular amount of time and material. Instead of making wing decks, the equivalent amount of time was and labour was used to make the boat longer. This gives the result of more speed, load carrying and seaworthiness than an equivalently hard tri to build like a Searunner 40.

It is a good compromise for those who want to voyage, to do long miles with a truly dependable boat. More modern designs can put flare into the main hull with little extra work but this boat is a true voyager. This design was chosen by Henk De Velde for some truly extraordinary voyages -

Oceans News ExplorersWeb - Interview: The End of The Never Ending Voyage - Henk de Velde is coming home

As for cost - these boats are classics to a few of us. Tris are in some ways, the ultimate sailing boats. I would love to jump on this one for a nice passage offshore. She should be very safe, fast and forgiving for her crew. For those who want the sailing ability of a multihull cruising throughbred you would have to look far to find a better choice. No wing deck to slam when overloaded, high freeboard main hull, huge reserves of stability both longitudinal and sideways. A boat that will let you sleep well at night. Give me this over almost any production cat because I love to really sail, and I can;t afford the nicer ones like Catanas.

If my wife and I were looking for a serious ocean going multi - this one would be at the top of my list.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 15:01   #29

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

BTW Nico, what is wrong with plywood?

It is in almost all boats, under the winches, the autopilot motor, the anchor winch etc. Plywood is great IF and this is a big IF the end grain is well sealed.

In this tri I think the plywood would form the shear web for the crossbeams. This is a really good use of plywood. Plywood is used in your house for beams that do just this.

If you want to know if the ply will be a problem, stick your head into the beam and look at it. It should still be golden coloured, still covered with epoxy and looking lovely for another 25 years. It can't go wrong unless it gets wet. It is not rocket science - ply can't rot unless it gets wet and if the epoxy has done its job, this one is epoxy saturated, then you are fine to go.

Every material has its limitations. Glass has osmosis, foam delaminates, balsa mushes, ply rots. Well built boats are built to get around the limitations of the material.

PS Holmek - have a sail on a well designed and sailed multi. Be careful you may get hooked.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 15:58   #30

Boat: Irwin sloop

I really like every thing about this boat. I wouldn't change a single thing.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote