Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2012, 10:29   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Your favorite multi-hull from 32-41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, the C-37 is way fast and way fun, but do you really want to liveaboard a Corsair? A bit like living in a camper trailer.

I used to race Corsairs and while they are great fun, I expect you might ultimately find yourself living aboard alone.
The big advantage an Fboat has is that you can raise the board and rudder and either use a dinky or walk the boat across very shallow areas. As long as bugs are not an issue you can beach an Fboat or anchor it in places few other boats can reach.

Oh yea, almost any Fboat will be the fastest boat in the room.

The downside is you don't have lots of things a similar priced/sized cat may have. Almost for sure no AC, microwave, genset, space for compressor and tanks, and lots of other things. That is the tradeoff for a boat with 1/3 or less the displacement of a condocat.

For someone who is old school a C37 looks like a high end luxury cruiser along side something like Joshua Slocum's Spray.

Another consideration is when and where you are living aboard. Spending the winter in the Bahamas with supplies at most a couple of days away and no need for AC and low power requirements for the frig/freezer is far different than living aboard in some of the far flung islands to the South.

I live on the Gulf of Mexico and a lot of it is bounded by the US. Especially on the West Coast of Florida and the Keys shallow draft is a huge consideration.

All this being said my first choice would probably be a Seawind. Still an Fboat has lots of pros; not the least of which is if there is a hurricane (this is the Gulf of Mexico remember) an Fboat can go 55mph to windward if you put on a trailer and go to Atlanta to wait out the weather.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 11:53   #17

Re: Your Favorite Multi-hull from 32-41ft

Putting $ in perspective my Fiberglass/open wing $38' Harris at $60k is the best cruising boat under $175k. She is for sale or partnership.
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 13:39   #18

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Without a doubt, it has to be the Leopard 39. It has a std hard top bimini, lots of space, yanmar power and is designed by Gino Morelli.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:05   #19

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
+ 1 on the leopard 39
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 16:34   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Maine Cat 41 or Lagoon 42 TPI (yes I know it's a touch too big).
Old 28-07-2012, 16:57   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

With a 500K budget, no worries about speed, and all the creature comforts, Genset A/C, refrigeration, electronics, watermaker, space, and a layout you can impress your non sailing guests with you're looking for a Lagoon 42. These are tailored made for just that market. You'll resale it faster later. But as said above, for one month out of the year chartering is probably a lot better way to go. Certainy a lot cheaper in the long run.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 23:06   #22

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

DoubleExposure has an interesting boat (DoubleExposure based in the Key Biscayne). One of only 11 built, it is a catamaran "motor sailor". 20 knots under motor with planing hulls. Lacking minikeels, it has only a 2' draft. Not sure how WELL it will sail with no keels, but it apparantly can and will sail - probably more than suitable for short cruising and day sailing.

To me it seems like it would be the ideal southern florida/keys boat. I haven't seen it yet, but may get in a visit in October.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 23:16   #23

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
Favorite multi-hull in the 31-42ft range that 2 people could comfortably liveaboard full time. Main goals are not ocean crossings, but regular carribean travel. I want full Gulf of Mexico access and creature comforts are more important than racing speeds.

What brands/models are your favorites? and Why?
Here is a formula I hit upon. Start by listing, in sequence, your most important characteristics. For example:

1) Livability
2) Access to shallow water, backwaters, etc
3) Sailing Performance
4) Quality

This formula leads me, for example, to the Lagoon's 41 and 42' sizes.
Their livability is legendary, and really only matched by a few other French designs which are very similar.
Smaller sizes lose some liveability, but larger sizes loose accessibility and are larger than I prefer.
Although they are known to have some quality problems, they are considered to be solidly built and extremely comfortable.
I would like a shallower draft, though...
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 23:40   #24

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

I'd find it hard not to go for the 37ft Prout, an old one. Solid, rare structural or Osmosis issues, an excellent interior layout, and good sleeping at sea in the berths, and a king size in the main saloon for special occasions.
Price also leaves a solid budget for upgrades, though ship battery driven drills are very effective electric winches, readily replaceable and they also haul the anchor if the wiring is adequate. As a moored-up live-aboard it has everything sorted, as an ocean going boat it has survivability, adequate speed, an effective rig with the rear mast location making everything available from the cockpit.
It's not the smartest boat, but you have the budget left to decorate as you wish. And it won't depreciate like some breeds do. For survival I would consider inflated bags in bow and stern. Not foam filled just in case there's penetration damage. Just to be sure she's unsinkable.
Old 30-07-2012, 17:05   #25

I just can't get my mind around older cats. So many have low bridgedecks and are frankly ugly. I still say Leopard 39 or FP Mahe 36.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 22:24   #26

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

And slow and safe and well though out without regard to 'style'. Designed and built to cruise the world without falling over, tripping over, or sinking. Plastics that are conservatively laid up, on balsa cores, with crash zones built in, cockpits that stay dry, kitchens that keep the spills within their floor area.
Takes a certain sort of mind. Like historic cars. Or Harleys. Or Bi-planes.
If it looks like a Prout, and with a rear mast position, then it looks alright to my eyes.
Old 31-07-2012, 04:25   #27
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Director G View Post
I just can't get my mind around older cats. So many have low bridgedecks and are frankly ugly. I still say Leopard 39 or FP Mahe 36.
Yep, they sure aren't pretty but many were built like battleships compared to the boats being built by accountant driven builders these days. Also, no one has mentioned what these great modern boat layouts have done to engine spaces. All I can say is they're great until you have to pull out a wrench.

There is something to be said for solid fiberglass hulls.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 04:54   #28

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Too easy a question for something with only complex answers. The list of possible sailboats would be in the 1,000's.

Your only limitation is your checkbook.

Broke like me, only one real choice.
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 05:24   #29

Boat: Lagoon 440

Look for a Fusion 40 out of Oz - and go for the electric winches for the primaries and mainsheet/main halyard. We have had Harken 24V winches for five years - they make life so much easier and reliability is not a problem. If the electrics do go out you can still use them as a manual winch with a standard winch handle.
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:42   #30

Boat: Shuttlecat 32

looks like the op might be intrigued by my boat - shuttleworth shuttlecat 31/32

John Shuttleworth Yacht Designs Ltd.