Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2022, 20:41   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Your best bridle recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Yes, you could just tie 2 snubbers on with icicle hitches to make a bridle.
Perfect. That saves me from having to do two eye splices this week and will get me on my way with just the rope to chain splice I need to do on the anchor rode.

I can revisit this one later for perfection
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 21:51   #47
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Perfect. That saves me from having to do two eye splices this week and will get me on my way with just the rope to chain splice I need to do on the anchor rode.

I can revisit this one later for perfection

Exactly.

The best snubber set-up is going to depend on many variables, including exactly how you stow the anchor, and what works for A may not suit B. I've used different methods on each boat, and in retrospect, I think each was best for that boat.

Finish the boat.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:19   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Exactly.

The best snubber set-up is going to depend on many variables, including exactly how you stow the anchor, and what works for A may not suit B. I've used different methods on each boat, and in retrospect, I think each was best for that boat.

Finish the boat.
Thank you. Yes! Finish the boat!

My anchor setup is currently the “walk of death”. Ha ha ha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062D57DB-0E03-45D8-BDAE-2A7F9C14290D.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	268310  
Old 04-12-2022, 03:21   #49

And I do have to go forward to drop that anchor. It’s really annoying. I had no idea that the Rocna does not drop nicely off of a roller. It needs a nudge.

I sure miss my Manson supreme that was stolen off the bow of my boat previously.

Edit: I guess that’s really not the fault of the Rocna. It’s probably that large catenary of chain between the anchor shank and the windlass.

That reminds me my boat hook is missing and I need to pick up a new one. Maybe I can just give it a nudge with a boat hook once out in bouncier conditions.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:43   #50

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
And I do have to go forward to drop that anchor. It’s really annoying. I had no idea that the Rocna does not drop nicely off of a roller. It needs a nudge.

I sure miss my Manson supreme that was stolen off the bow of my boat previously.

Edit: I guess that’s really not the fault of the Rocna. It’s probably that large catenary of chain between the anchor shank and the windlass.

That reminds me my boat hook is missing and I need to pick up a new one. Maybe I can just give it a nudge with a boat hook once out in bouncier conditions.
You could rig a little hook on a line to do the nudge from the cockpit.
The hook needs to be an open one though [emoji6]
Old 04-12-2022, 07:47   #51

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Maybe trade the anchor for a Vulcan? The shape of the shank on those makes it pretty hard to get hung up on the roller, as the anchor is mostly sitting vertically against the front of the roller when stowed. Mine falls free almost violently fast when released.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:55   #52

Boat: 1982 Morgan OI 416

This.

I did same thing and I'm very happy.
S/V Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:31   #53

a. You need to go forward to release the anchor from some "lock" that prevents the weight from banging on the windlass and secures it underway. Surely the anchor is not secured only by the windlass.

b. you should be forward to watch how the rode takes the tension on the first "bite." Tis tells you a lot about the nature of the bottom. I will play out the rode (windlass or free drop) and attach the snubber while I'm there.

c. Only then do I walk back to the cockpit to power back.

So I don't see why a free drop matters much. It's way down the list of important anchor attributes IMO.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:37   #54

Quote:
a. You need to go forward to release the anchor from some "lock" that prevents the weight from banging on the windlass and secures it underway. Surely the anchor is not secured only by the windlass.

b. you should be forward to watch how the rode takes the tension on the first "bite." Tis tells you a lot about the nature of the bottom. I will play out the rode (windlass or free drop) and attach the snubber while I'm there.

c. Only then do I walk back to the cockpit to power back.

So I don't see why a free drop matters much. It's way down the list of important anchor attributes IMO.
Some details I did not include that will be important for this post.

-I use a Manual windlass

When when I let ‘er rip, she should drop by gravity.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:32   #55

I saw some 5/8 inch New England rope dock line in West Marine today when I had to get some hydraulic fittings. So, I just grabbed that. Fast
Old 04-12-2022, 13:20   #56

Quote:
Some details I did not include that will be important for this post.

-I use a Manual windlass

When when I let ‘er rip, she should drop by gravity.

Cool. But I still want to be up front to "supervise" or at least observe. My last boat had windlass controls at the helm, and I very seldom used them. I would rather be at the bow. Setting I want to observe how the rode takes the tension, raising, I want to be there for breakout, so see if there is anything hung up on the hook, and to make sure it is not rotated backwards.

I like your set-up.
Old 04-12-2022, 19:08   #57

Quote:
Cool. But I still want to be up front to "supervise" or at least observe. My last boat had windlass controls at the helm, and I very seldom used them. I would rather be at the bow. Setting I want to observe how the rode takes the tension, raising, I want to be there for breakout, so see if there is anything hung up on the hook, and to make sure it is not rotated backwards.

I like your set-up.
I’ve never had that kind of luxury. Ha ha ha.

Even on the monohulls that I flipped, the buttons for the windlass were right next to the windlass.

I’ve never really been on a boat that I recall that I can drop the anchor from the cockpit in the stern of the boat.

So to me, everything you’re talking about is just normal. I’ve never experienced other than being at the bow.
Old 04-12-2022, 20:35   #58

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

I don't feel the need for an auto drop on the anchor. My anchor is tied off with a light line. I have to go forward and untie the line. Before I do, I ease off about 1m of chain. Then untie the anchor, push it forward and head back aft. It is good that the anchor can't drop automatically, it is a feature, not a bug.

I used to have a manual windlass for 30 years. I now have a powered windlass with the control aft in the cockpit at the helm. I love it and it is one piece of equipment that makes the boat much safer.

When Kankama dragged with me off the boat, I caught up with her in the dinghy and could steer in the cockpit with the twins and pull the anchor up at the same time. It was very gratifying and kept me off the rocks. The powered windlass paid for itself many times over that day.

Back in the old days I would manually pull up the anchor whilst the boat drifted sideways. It was not fun and slower. Or if the anchor was well dug in, I would power forward, run forward and wind the windlass, run aft to engine and helm as the boat fell off, then repeat, again and again. A powered windlass with the switch at the helm is great for singlehanding. You don't have to look at the chain, the boat will tell you where the chain is leading, a bit of a windlass pull will tug left, right, forward or back. Feel the boat and you can motor the chain up in the dark.

You can easily get a wireless controller for the windlass so you can control it from anywhere, they cost about $50.

My boat has one fridge, no wind instruments, simple interior, super simple deck gear, but I would now get a powered windlass asap if it broke - it is safer, easier, improves anchoring etiquette, gives you more options, allows you to anchor in deeper water and fun to use. I pay about $100 for the physio each visit and that means about 10 visits saved from pulling the anchor up and you are in front.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 21:49   #59

NOW we have ourselves an anchoring thread! Ha ha ha.

Catsketcher: thanks for the post. Much respect for you and your experience with cats. This is my first time with working wind instruments also. You have had mostly fast boats, yes? You sail them without doing it “by the numbers?”

That’s how I’ve always done it too, but I’ve never has one of these catamarans you can flip before. So I figured I’d go with the instruments and “by the numbers “.

I have a great “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature “:

I never need to power forward for retrieval. I sail at anchor like I’m about to win the Americas Cup. So there is a point as I’m coming through a tack that I crank it in. Then I wait a few seconds, then crank it in again.

I’ll probably upgrade to an electric winch someday when I’m too out of shape to do the manual one. For now, the exercise (and lack of physio visits) is welcome.

To me, it’s similar to sailing. We could all just motor because it’s easier. But no. We do all this physical stuff with sails and struggle with it because it’s something we enjoy. I enjoy my “never breaks “ manual windlass with in the same way I enjoy sailing.

It’s not as convenient or easy, but it’s enjoyable in the challenge. Just like sailing itself
Old 09-12-2022, 06:36   #60

Boat: pdq mv34 'dana louise'

I include both a chain hook for anchoring and a very
Large quick shackle for attaching mooring loops or
My sea anchor quickly.
bstronger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle