Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2011, 04:10   #1

Boat: building small boats at present
With Respect to the Late Ross Turner

Hi to all, I have always been curious about the CC29 Jarcat,no seriously!! but I cant bring myself to contact the family so soon after the aussie passing away so recently. to make things simple, aspects of the boat really appeal to my needs, but being a cat that has been around for some time now,I am sure with current designs out now this would leave the cc29 with plenty of knockers! So feel free to let me have it. I really would like as many pros and cons people have the time to enlighten me with.I will go into my needs as they are asked. CHEERS FROM OZ.
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 04:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: With Respect to the Late Ross Turner

Goto ➥ JARCAT Trailer Sailer Catamarans

Email Alan Turner: alan.turner1@optusnet.com.au)

Phone07) 33958668

Mail Address :
296 Richmond Rd,
Cannon Hill
QLD 4170, Australia

Duck Flat Wooden Boats

Sailboat Designs of Ross*Turner

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 04:54   #3

thanks mate will get on it but right now its late and have to pour concrete at some stupid time in the morning,so off to bed I go. I will let you no how I get on.cheers from oz.
Old 01-04-2011, 22:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

I saw several of these in the Marlay Point overnight yacht race a few weeks back. I was not impressed. Looks like the mast is too far back and seemingly as a result they don't seem to sail well to windward. Some yachts were sailing well in 5 knots of breeze and the Jarcats were actually going backwards. One couldn't even get to the start line with an hour to spare.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I saw several of these in the Marlay Point overnight yacht race a few weeks back. I was not impressed. Looks like the mast is too far back and seemingly as a result they don't seem to sail well to windward. Some yachts were sailing well in 5 knots of breeze and the Jarcats were actually going backwards. One couldn't even get to the start line with an hour to spare.
Hi aus thanks for the feedback,would you be able to tell me if the jarcats in question were the cc29? or the trailer sailor, as the j5 and j6 in my opinion are really a multipurpose type vessel. I am looking at a cc29 as a form of getting away for long periods of time. Taking trophies or even competing has never been on the agenda, if the wind isn't working for me I will engage diesel and push on.I should let people know that I am no sailor ( it must be obvious) I am just a hard working bloke that can build anything and want to teach my sons at this time how to be resourceful and live a( FREELIFE) that explains my user name. As for sailing capability of the multi in question, well I look at the wind as free diesel and electricity, and if I harness what I can that translates to less time at work. So I suppose that makes me the guy who is happy to be the last one over the line, I just want to cruise, that's why I joined a cruisers forum (LOL)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35   #6

Once again I do appreciate you taking the time to post your reply,and the info you have passed on to me I have taken on board and it is good to know.So thank's mate I hope you can help again cheers from oz.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:53   #7

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

So where are you intending to build and when, do you have a time frame to get it in the water? have you built a boat before? keep up informed if you start a blog on your progress

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09   #8
Marine Service Provider

Good call, these would have been the the smaller models, not 29 feet if that's what you are talking.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:03   #9

HI SCTPC thank's for the interest,to answer your questions. The plan as to where and when,I will be making all bulkheads and smaller components at home which in a sense will create a kit to be assembled later I have a few tricks with the epoxy to eliminate a lot of down time,and will share all when I start the blog.I have limited space this is why the concept of a kit style process, plus I have two fit and capable teenage son's with a keen interest in the task at hand. Once this is all done to the extent were we can;t do any more I will then rent a factory for a few months to complete the construction process. As to when in the water, once our boat is built it will be stored on land and we will muck around with fit out once again I have a few tricks and a shitload of contacts in the building industry to assist.We will start next month on bulkheads and plod through this winter,start assembly over xmas break and launch whens suits. don't want it in the water until we are ready to depart ( waste of money on birth).As to built before,this is my first build and as far as I am concerned that is the easy part,the prep and assembly is nothing just time consuming,final fitout will be a pain in the ass,but if it was too easy everyone would have one hey. hope I have answered what you asked and I appreciate your interest.cheers from oz
Old 09-04-2011, 02:41   #10

I'm currently doing something similar but to a Kendrick design. I think there are possibly a few other designs to consider with your plans.

I almost went with a Woods design, he has some great very capable vessels in his port folio, as mentioned Kendrick has two cats and plenty of tri's.

In my search I didn't find the perfect design for what I want so will make some changes (I think most do lol). For me starting with a sound design for the sailing side of things were important, my changes shouldn't make much of a difference.

I too have limited space and like you my plan is over winter to cut everything out then rent bigger facilities for assembly (being stitch and glue this part will be relatively quick... building in the drive hasn't been ruled out yet )

Good luck with your choice!
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:14   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

If it was me after a cheap set of plans to build a cat around this size I would be looking at a Simpson
http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/m...gallery?KID=65

Far Far Far better boat imho compared to a J9
Old 09-04-2011, 03:39   #12

I do like the simpson design... but neither the plans nor build will be cheap!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:41   #13

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

or you could try The $21K catamaran: Build a cat fast and cheap good first build simple and yet usable.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:46   #14

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesa View Post
I do like the simpson design... but neither the plans nor build will be cheap!
Rubbish

Are you trying to tell me that a 29 ft jarcat uses less materials to build than the same size simpson?

Plans for a 9m Ground effect (my last build) are actually cheaper than your jarcat
And a larger size is about $100 more than the Jarcat
Chicken feed in the scheme of things for a proven design with better resale value.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:17   #15

Actually don't have a Jarcat, sorry it hurts your feelings soo much, most Simpsons are cedar strip plank, so yes if you intend toi build it properly it will cost more than the ply Jarcat (Also more structual work involved), note the difference in plan prices, yes the Simpson will have better resale... as I said I like the simpson designs. best to compare apples with apples though.