Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 15:12   #16

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: With Respect to the Late Ross Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesa View Post
sorry it hurts your feelings soo much,
It doesnt hurt my feelings at all, sorry you feel it does

Quote:
most Simpsons are cedar strip plank,
And others are not

I would use Kirri as well
Cheaper and lighter than cedar

Quote:
so yes if you intend toi build it properly it will cost more than the ply Jarcat
If you intend to build it properly you will be using expensive marine ply, not cheap arsed stuff
You still need to glass the outside and use epoxy, just like you do with strip plank, you still need multiple coats of resin on the inside

The shell is the cheap bit
The jarcat will have the same hatches, motors, mast, sails, winches, anchoring gear, electronic etc etc etc as the simpson

Quote:
(Also more structual work involved),
More structural work?
I dont need internal stringers to support the ply, how about you?
I have no internal linings to hide the stringers, how about you?

Quote:
note the difference in plan prices,
at worse $100

Quote:
yes the Simpson will have better resale
so worth doing then...
Quote:
as I said I like the simpson designs. best to compare apples with apples though.
Then look to the ply simpson models if you are so convinced ply is cheaper
or, a (sl)Easy perhaps
they seem to have good resale as well.

It appears you have your mind made up and were not after opinions as claimed in your first post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
So feel free to let me have it. I really would like as many pros and cons people have the time to enlighten me with.I will go into my needs as they are asked. CHEERS FROM OZ.
Old 10-04-2011, 16:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

It appears you have your mind made up and were not after opinions as claimed in your first post
Forget that
I see I am speaking to two different posters

I wonder where the OP went?
Old 15-04-2011, 21:09   #18

Boat: building small boats at present

This thread seems to be drifting slightly, although the input is good.I did look at the $21.000 cat but it is put together very light and cheap, it looks good but I would not even dream of taking it through the port philip heads ( which is were I would have to depart from being in melbourne ) the mentioned boat is constructed out of what appears to be laser f5 pine as beams fixed with liquid nails and bolts,hardly strong enough for what I need and as the builder states it is designed for sheltered calm waters. It looks like a Waller cs35 but thats about as far as it goes,not really in the same league. As I still have about 3 weeks before my schedule has to start I am currently looking at ( waiting for study plans to arrive ) the 12 m boatcraft cat. The guys at boatcraft have sent me some build and completion images and it looks quite o.k. Feel free to share your thoughts,CHEERS FROM OZ.
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 00:15   #19

Hmm Jarcat plans... $540 (J6) Simpson 6.5 (closest I could see for this $1250)...... BIG difference.

Not going to waste anymore of my time, (By the way MY jarcat doesn't exist, never said I had or was building one, but I am building a Kendrick design at present)

Strip planking (regardless of the timber) is also a much more labour intensive process, yes a better finish but some build for the boat, not the build
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 01:22   #20

cat man do were are you? Sorry you got caught up in a debate that I (FREELIFE ) was not part of, although I did post the original thread!! I would be very happy to hear your thoughts and anything you could share about your (simpson) build. I have looked at them in the past and found he offered a large range,and have no negative opinions of the designs. I am also curious about your powercat? I will have a look at your gallery before I ask any stupid questions.speak to you soon cheers from down south.
Old 18-04-2011, 17:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesa View Post
Hmm Jarcat plans... $540 (J6) Simpson 6.5 (closest I could see for this $1250)...... BIG difference.
You didnt look very hard
Here they are $990
6.5M Woodwind Catamaran - $33.00 : Boatcraft Pacific. , Share our passion!

Anyway, OP wanted a CC29 Jarcat, not a J6
Try comparing apples to apples

Quote:
Not going to waste anymore of my time, (By the way MY jarcat doesn't exist, never said I had or was building one, but I am building a Kendrick design at present)
Good for you
Good luck with the build

Quote:
Strip planking (regardless of the timber) is also a much more labour intensive process, yes a better finish but some build for the boat, not the build
Ah, so you admit that if you slap a ply boat together it is cheaper
And if you used inferior ply it would be cheaper again

Once again, compare apples to apples

Pretend that you are using AA grade AS2272 Marine ply, quality resins, lined and insulated to prevent condensation and to hide all the additional stringers and framing and a quality 2 pack finish.

Then see how the comparison looks.
Old 18-04-2011, 17:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
cat man do were are you?
Under my Avatar
Old 28-04-2011, 00:04   #23

I think the criticism of the CC29 design on the basis of my first "competitive" sail in a 16ft J5 in this year's MPONR misses the point. My recently restored 1986 ply cat was put in the same class as the line winners but my .62 handicap doesnt mean any comparison is meaningful. To compare a 16 ft trailerable cat rigged cat against a 29ft cutter makes little more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I saw several of these in the Marlay Point overnight yacht race a few weeks back. I was not impressed. Looks like the mast is too far back and seemingly as a result they don't seem to sail well to windward. Some yachts were sailing well in 5 knots of breeze and the Jarcats were actually going backwards. One couldn't even get to the start line with an hour to spare.
In defence of the JARCAT CC29 you cant really compare with the 16ft J5 that had starting problems in this years Marlay Point float. (which was my boat). The wind was so bad more than half the field failed to complete in an extended time frame. We managed to snap both dagger boards on an unexpected sand bank as we came into Marlay Point before the start and attempted to compete notwithstanding this handicap. We managed to cross lake Wellington in 13 hours and caught the majority of the field as they were washed backwards towards us on McLarren straites. Without daggerboards the J5 pivoted on its rudders and was a handful - two days later we cruised to Paynesville and return averaging 5 knots.

Ross Turner crewed the Marlay two years ago in a J5 in what was to be his last sail before his brain tumor robbed him of his independence. The active Jarcat community regularly meets at the MPONR from all over Australia - we had a J5 and J6 racing/floating but another 4 Jarcats supporting these crews.

The J5 and J6 are designed as trailerboats and utilise a rear stepped mast that is often criticised but sometimes I see similarities with the sail shape of many of the class leaders. The CC29 is a different boat. it is a centre cockpit cutter rigg. Its construction is similar - marine ply/epoxy on a timber hard chine frame and has been fitted with Ross's unique tack track which assists greatly in heading to windward.

A cc29 from Paynesville has just changed hands and is being delivered to the Mid NSW coast so we definitely want to see another built in Melbourne. Our association is a wealth of information if you are considering building.

Paul Kenna

sending this from mid Bass Strait at 49kph in 5 knot winds on the Spirit of Tasmainia
paulkenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 05:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Paul Kenna.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 07:37   #25

welcome aboard PAULKENNA I have tried a few times to get on the yahoo jarcat site with no luck maybe you can help?
Old 13-05-2011, 23:20   #26

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

INTERESTING Used Sailing Catamaran 9m Folding Builders Plans For Sale for Sale | Yachthub

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote