Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 16:12   #16

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Wintering on a Catamaran

That's interesting, about the stratification. I've experienced that before too, but on our old Monohull.

We spent the winter of 2019/2020 in Halifax, NS. on this boat, GRIT, and had no such issues. I did, however, point the hot air to the floor on both hulls (The outlets are at 1m above the sole), and let the heat rise into the pilot house. It was quite comfortable all winter, but not cheap on fuel!

In February, 2020, we installed a shore power cord, and hooked up to shore power. This helped keep the batteries up, and lower the cost of fuel, by adding two oil filled radiators.

Cheers, and good luck. You're half way done now!

Paul.
Old 10-02-2021, 13:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You've got a good start on it. We wintered one year in Gerogia (saw temps down to the low 20's fairly regularly).

Condensation is probably the biggest challenge. The plastic or bubble wrap in the windows is very helpful. Once it gets cold, start going thru the back of cabinets that touch the exterior regularly as they can either develop condensation or it can drip down from above.

We knew people who did it in Detroit on a Cat. They did shrink wrap the topsides to create a bit of a greenhouse...still there are limits to what is comfortable.

I have to ask; where and when was this? Tybee Island (farthest coastal Northern corner of GA) rarely if ever sees the low 20's.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 14:17   #18

[QUOTE=Rotten Ricky;3336274]What I noticed in cold weather in my boat, even as a non-live-aboard, is that there is a significant stratification of temperatures - my feet and legs were always cold when my head was being over-heated. Maybe a boat needs fans in it to for mixing of the cold and warn air layers. ...[/QUOTE]

Not just boats.

We can heat our house with a wood stove. The heat really rises from the stove, hits the ceiling and moves quickly to the other side of the house. We have ceiling fans, and when running in reverse at low speeds, they will mix up the air. The running fans meant there was a degree or two of extra warmth at people level.

We don't run the fans in the winter though.

The problem is, even though the fans make it warmer, the ever so slight movement of air, make it feel colder.

Having said that, if one had right sized fan, running at the right slow speed to move the air around, but not so much to FEEL the movement, the fan(s) will work.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 15:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsail View Post
I have to ask; where and when was this? Tybee Island (farthest coastal Northern corner of GA) rarely if ever sees the low 20's.
Brunswick and yes people were complaining that it was unusually cold weather.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 04:08   #20

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I just wanted to post a follow up. I'm over halfway through the winter here, and I wanted to let you know what I did and how it's going.

Here are the winterizing steps I took.:

1. I, of course, took care of winterizing the engines, generator... completely shut down 1 of the heads.
2. I took bubble wrap (the small bubble kind) and cut pieces for all hatches and portlights in both hulls. I spritz the glass with water, the put the bubble wrap on it.. and it has stayed on all winter.
3. I then used the shrink wrap film on every window and hatch in the boat.
4. I already had thermal curtains on about 60% of the windows, and that helped in a BIG way (thermal curtains I made have pretty fabric.. then 2 layers of light quilt batting, and then backed with blackout thermal fabric) When the curtains are closed, the temp in the cabin goes up about 6 degrees in about 20 minutes.
5. I put that silver coated bubble wrap stuff. (can't think of the name) under all hatches in both hulls (between the floor and the bilge.
6. I put that same silver stuff on the windows in the guest hull as I didn't have thermal curtains there.
7. I put the cockpit enclosure up, and I taped bubble wrap (the stuff with the really BIG bubbles in it) around the inside of the cockpit enclosure. This helped with wind sneaking through as well as provided a couple more layers of insulation. This also helped to keep the cabin warmer.
8, I turned on an electric heater in the cockpit during the day as I've been using that area for my sewing business. It was so toasty in there that often times I had to shut off the heater mid day.
9. Miraculously, my cruisair AC/heaters have worked ALL winter long. I'm in the upper chesapeake, and today's water temp is 39 degrees.
10 I bought 4 electric heaters, just in case. 2 large ones. (one I keep in the cockpit).. and 2 small ones. haven't needed any in the cabin at all.

As for how it's going... its going great! most days I have to shut off the heat in the salon as it gets too warm.. even when it's in the 20's outside. I have had ZERO condensation in my cabin. The only place i've had condensation is down in the bilge.

Anyway... that's the update...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 04:14   #21

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Congrats. I glad it's all going well.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
catamaran