Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 09:03   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Wildcat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLGCrawford View Post
...Yet a few months after their first survey they decide to have a second survey done? All of a sudden there's huge delam spots? The story just doesn't make sense. It's my belief that they either collided with something, or were hit by lightning. Even the photos on the blog look like a lightning hit. But they insist not, and before Charter Cats got their ball together to send someone to look at it, the owners had got it repaired at a yard that obviously saw these newbies a mile away.
Sorry for the long rant.
The short answer to your question is to watch for structural issues, in particular, delamination. But just make sure you get a survey done, and if your surveyor has any experience (s)he will know about Bumfuzzle. So have the hull sounded and if it's solid, you're good.
Our boat has an area about 3"x4" of delamination on the port hull. It's about a foot above the waterline. We will get it repaired when the boat is out of the water next, sometime in the next year or two. It's not a major issue. If your survey finds delam, particularly if it's below the waterline, just put it in the offer that the seller has it fixed.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Agree the Bumfuzzle story doesn't add up. I recently trudged thru their rather tedious book (two apathetic newbies circumnavigate) and discovered something that gets omitted from their delam story...they collided with what they thought was a while while crossing the Pacific...hmmm. Oddly the whole delam debacle is not mentioned in the book (...or I slept thru it). Sounds like two boat novices got ripped off by a boat yard to me.

Not defending Wildcats/Charter Cats, but their story doesn't sound right.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 09:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I've talked to one owner of a Wildcat and one owner of a Jaguar that had extensive delam, and read about a few others. I believe not all were affected but buyer beware, as said get an extensive survey.
Charter Cats built some junk and some good boats. I think it all depended on who they sub'ed to. Only quality of build issue Ive had was some gelcoat voids, no big deal. Originally surveyed well and has subsequently too. However, I know of some other boats that were junk right out the mold (structural issues). Some deck house windows Ive seen were really badly done.

Glass work on mine was otherwise quite good. Have opened up some otherwise inaccesible areas to create more storage and even in there it looks good and cut some small plugs from cored hull/bulkheads for installs so layup can be seen...all good. (per former boatbuilder friend who helped).

All systems (engines, electrical, plumbing...) were all well done. Only system I did not like were fuel tanks. Nothing wrong with them, but did not like sight gauge and fuel line connections near bottom. Replaced wtih custom aluminum tanks.

Bought mine early in their history (2000 build), before the negative stories came out, so maybe some earlier builds were better, but no data to back this up.

Still: dont even consider buying a WC without a thurough survey by a cat knowledgeable surveyor (or any other boat IMHO).
Old 16-06-2016, 10:08   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Agree the Bumfuzzle story doesn't add up. I recently trudged thru their rather tedious book (two apathetic newbies circumnavigate) and discovered something that gets omitted from their delam story...they collided with what they thought was a while while crossing the Pacific...hmmm. Oddly the whole delam debacle is not mentioned in the book (...or I slept thru it). Sounds like two boat novices got ripped off by a boat yard to me.

Not defending Wildcats/Charter Cats, but their story doesn't sound right.

If I remember correctly, the Bumfuzzle boat had a large spot of delam that was a dry layup, no resin involved. Not sure if lightning could have caused that or not.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 17:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...they collided with what they thought was a while while crossing the Pacific...hmmm. ...
Obviously should have read "whale".
Old 17-06-2016, 04:45   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If I remember correctly, the Bumfuzzle boat had a large spot of delam that was a dry layup, no resin involved. Not sure if lightning could have caused that or not.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No, to my knowledge, lightning doesn't do such things to layups. Knock on wood.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote