Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2019, 00:48   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Why not in boom furling on multi hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Boom furlers are very picky about boom angle. If the angle is the least bit wrong the sail will "walk" on the boom as it's furled. Most manufacturers recommend (or even require) a fixed vang/kicker because topping lifts stretch allowing the angle to be off. Many multihulls have a cabin shape that gets in the way of installing a vang.

I have a Schaefer boom furler on a 55ft monohull and love it.

Would a dyneema topping lift solve this????

I have run an in book furler on a PDQ cat and loved it. Like in-mast systems, I was focused on not changing the boom angle. Just don’t recall what the topping lift was made of.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:06   #62

Boat: Lagoon 380

A squaretop mainsail needs battens, that are not parallel to the boom
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 13:29   #63

Prout 34 Event with a roller boom, Im interested

https://www.multihullworld.com/boatdetails.asp?id=14343
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:17   #64

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Ixnax, what brand are you using on your st Francis 50? I know they have a large mainsail, and ours is considered pretty large, at 80m2.

Thanks.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 11:54   #65

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I had a Pro Furl in-boom setup on my cat... worked well!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 16:26   #66

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Would a dyneema topping lift solve this????

I have run an in book furler on a PDQ cat and loved it. Like in-mast systems, I was focused on not changing the boom angle. Just don’t recall what the topping lift was made of.

On my furlaboom the topper holds the boom up (stops boom going down when furling )and the vang holds boom down ( stops sail pulling boom up when furling) . A little stretch in topper does not effect my system
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 04:46   #67

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m getting older. Getting lazier.

My monohull right now has in mast furling, as well as standard furling for a 135 genoa and solent. Running backstays. Everything is electric. It’s a joy to use. Allows for reduction of sail area very simply, and stowing and deploying sails is a piece of cake.

I’m wondering why catamarans don’t have in boom furling? I can understand why there is no in mast furling, because of the Huge battens and roach On the high aspect rigs.

But why not roll that thing up in the boom?
BUDGET. If someone wants to give me one in exchange for a youtube blog with an honest review of it’s performance I would be happy to put one on my boat.
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:17   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Ixnax, what brand are you using on your st Francis 50? I know they have a large mainsail, and ours is considered pretty large, at 80m2.

Thanks.
Paul.
Sorry for the delay. We have a KZ Marine Boom Furling system.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 21:11   #69

Hi All
Ive read with interest the comments and concerns each has, on in boom furling, and since I have invested 20 years on this, i thought i might wade in on the discussion as there is some comment that is not accurate and comments that could be further clarified to help those that have a thought for interest, or an actual question to assist with decision making.
From a mainsail furling perspective there are many manufacturers and design options, and each of these satisfy the user with a desired level of performance.
Ask me a question, I am stuck inside and happy to help!!
Leisurefurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:06   #70

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisurefurl View Post
Hi All
Ive read with interest the comments and concerns each has, on in boom furling, and since I have invested 20 years on this, i thought i might wade in on the discussion as there is some comment that is not accurate and comments that could be further clarified to help those that have a thought for interest, or an actual question to assist with decision making.
From a mainsail furling perspective there are many manufacturers and design options, and each of these satisfy the user with a desired level of performance.
Well done Leisurefurl. Without going to "marketing", and as a prospective 40 - 50 ft trimaran buyer, I'd appreciate a frank, honest perspective on some of the views expressed in this thread.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:09   #71

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisurefurl View Post
Hi All
Ok, this may sound entirely stupid, but I've also wondered why there isn't a simple boom furler that is more like a roller furler on the bow. One where the sail/furler resides right above the standard boom and just has sunbrella seem to it like a headsail would. Something far less complicated and expensive than buying a new boom.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 14:30   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
Well done Leisurefurl. Without going to "marketing", and as a prospective 40 - 50 ft trimaran buyer, I'd appreciate a frank, honest perspective on some of the views expressed in this thread.
Hi, will complete my reading on this incl some other threads and identify the key points that may affect you, and balance the views with fact.

regards
Old 05-05-2020, 15:00   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Ok, this may sound entirely stupid, but I've also wondered why there isn't a simple boom furler that is more like a roller furler on the bow. One where the sail/furler resides right above the standard boom and just has sunbrella seem to it like a headsail would. Something far less complicated and expensive than buying a new boom.
Not a stupid question at all, infact, this is a design that remains available today in the Leisurefurl range where they use your existing boom. In this instance the mandrel connects to a fabricated bracket at the aft end of the boom, and the universal to the through mast shaft with furling line drive mounted on the front of the mast. The sail design remains the same.
A loss of luff length, approx 220mm, should be expected if the existing gooseneck is not lowered.
I have not seen this option with another manufacturer of recent, but recall many earlier systems where the sail was rolled up on the boom which rotated on a floating gooseneck, driven by a crank handle at the front of the mast.

Interested to read of contributors experience of these if they had them on a vessel.
Old 05-05-2020, 16:34   #74

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
A few years ago I crewed on a sister boat to the one I own, a Dragonfly 1200 tri, but it had a Leasurefurl (my boat has full battens with bearing cars and lazyjacks). I can drop my main without crew assistance in less than 30 seconds in a controlled speed drop, the Leasurefurl took at least 2 people and a lot of conversation, and 5-10 minutes. Raising sail was about the same amount of time, but my boat is much simpler and only requires one person in the cockpit without the finicky track feeding concerns at the gooseneck of the Leasurefurl. With my boom mounted top-zip sailcover, putting the sail to bed is about the same effort. My boom is lighter weight. I can reef from the shelter of the cockpit without anyone needing to go to the mast in boisterous conditions.....
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 16:40   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t know why, I furl my Profurl in about a minute by myself, I could do it faster but do watch that something isn’t binding, nothing has in five years, but I don’t want the drill driven winch to bust something before I notice the bind, if it ever occurs.
I do however have to turn into the wind, and in that minute, except for disconnecting the Halyard, I’m completely done, sail put away. If I expect to later raise the sail, I don’t disconnect the Halyard.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, hull