Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2019, 07:56   #46

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Why not in boom furling on multi hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
We have two electric winches, main halyard and jib sheet. All the reefing is done at the mast step, so when it's blowing you have to go up front and reef or shake a reef, it is work, even on a stable platform like our cat.
That explains it, thanks. Have you considered running the lines (plus adding downhaul or single line reefing) back to electric winches in the cockpit? I think that would make everything much easier (and certainly cheaper than the 70-120k that you quoted for an in-boom conversion).
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 08:52   #47

On this video someone from Lagoon explains why they haven't Developed a in-mast or boom furling system on their catamarans

https://youtu.be/2Dl0pI0mhCQ

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tribusue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 09:12   #48

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

To summarise the video:

"we tried various (boom furling) solutions and found that they were not yet idiot proof enough (for normal cruising sailors)..."

Old 16-09-2019, 00:39   #49

Boat: Perry 57

We have a Leisure Furl on our Perry 57 , being a new sailor and usually short handed I love it
Shane450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 04:34   #50

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Well, if Leisure Furl can handle the mainsail on a Perry 57, then it's pretty much a given that it can handle the mainsail on any other boat mentioned in this thread.

I'm glad to hear from you.

Thanks for your response.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 08:24   #51

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
That explains it, thanks. Have you considered running the lines (plus adding downhaul or single line reefing) back to electric winches in the cockpit? I think that would make everything much easier (and certainly cheaper than the 70-120k that you quoted for an in-boom conversion).
not as easy as it may seem, design wise it would be a big enterprise to achieve, but thanks for the suggestion
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 11:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
not as easy as it may seem, design wise it would be a big enterprise to achieve, but thanks for the suggestion
Perhaps so, but surely way less so than the in-boom solution? I have set boats up to lead lines aft before and it can normally always be achieved even if some structural work needs to be done.

I admit that I don't know your boat specifically but quickly googling the FP60E I see 2 winches on the mast (for halyards and reefing? with jammers above I guess?) so the mast is already reinforced here.

Turning blocks could be fitted at the same location and the lines then run aft across the cabin top arriving next to the genoa sheet winches.

There are already genoa sheet tracks on the cabin top and the genoa winches further aft so there is already some reinforcing there which can be utilised or added to.

I just quickly glanced for a few minutes but happy to provide some further input if it's useful.

Old 16-09-2019, 20:47   #53

Boat: Catalina 42

I'm so glad to run into this thread. I love in-boom furling for its infinite settings and with an electric winch it's child's play. My wife also loves it because we reef and unreef far more often, making our sailing more comfortable more consistently.

We will eventually move to a cat and I was wondering the same question as the OP - great to hear that they are out there!
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 22:37   #54

Boat: Fontaine Pagot Helia Evolution 44

Dear Row Bear,
Do you still like your in mast furling? I have an FP Helia 44, main needs replacement and think of it often....
Catamaranbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 20:05   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
We have in-mast furling on our Antares 44i. When we eventually decide that we've gotten too old to sail as a couple comfortably, we expect to find a 60+ foot cat with crew so we can still keep going. We'll seriously consider in boom furling on that boat.

As to "why" - it depends if you think practically or theoretically. Theoretically, gravity allows you do do all that in-mast or in-boom furling would do. But practically? I find with in-mast furling that it is so easy to deploy and take in sails that I sail more and more appropriately. Depending on the change in wind speed and direction, I may deploy or stow the main, or put on, adjust or shake out a reef a dozen or more times in a 24-hour sail - all by myself in minutes from the comfort (and safely) of my cockpit.
We had in-mast on our Antares with Elvstrom Sails and loved it. Easy to use and really had performance benefits. Never had a problem so can not address that. Now we have a St. Francis 50 with in boom. It took a few thousand miles but now we like it. There's a learning curve, for sure. It's also not as easy to play with as in mast. But it's also a big sail, like over twice as big so that's a factor. All in all, I'd say in boom at 50' and in mast somewhere under that. Unless you want neither, of course.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 21:38   #56

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

I have a 43ft cat and love my furlaboom. So easy to raise and lower on my own. You have to be precise with boom angle but that's easy with markings. At the equivalent of third reef I've installed a cringle so I can strap the luff to the mast and boom, making it much stronger in heavy conditions.
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:11   #57

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Thanks JMH2002, where are you? I'm presently in the USA, NY area. will spend this winter here while I resolve land "stuff". I don't mind going up front to reef since the boat is very stable even on a blow, but I would like to be able to reef when running without heading up, that is very dangerous with big waves. So far I have always pre reefed ahead of time but one day will come when I need to reef while running.
Appreciate your input.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 15:31   #58

Mirelos - " but one day will come when I need to reef while running. "

See Schaefer Boom Furling Systems -
It is an inboom furling that can be furled at any angle to the wind because the sail track rotates.
Most of the other inboom furlers require you to head into the wind.
johnny AoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 18:43   #59

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

looks like a great improvement over leisure furl. much better then heading into the wind to reef.
Starblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 21:14   #60

Boom furlers are very picky about boom angle. If the angle is the least bit wrong the sail will "walk" on the boom as it's furled. Most manufacturers recommend (or even require) a fixed vang/kicker because topping lifts stretch allowing the angle to be off. Many multihulls have a cabin shape that gets in the way of installing a vang.

I have a Schaefer boom furler on a 55ft monohull and love it.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, hull