Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2012, 16:53   #121

Boat: between boats
Re: Why I Like Multihulls (Well, One Reason)

Well done Ian!
Plus one on Factors comments - dont warry too much about the armchair experts opinions

See you went down in size to a Perry 40 what was the reasoning there?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 20:07   #122

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5
JMolan, I got to hand it to you. Three times I was offered a position on crab boats and three times I turned them down. Highliners too! The 1st year I would have gone up there (if I accepted the offer) eleven men went into the water, none came out alive. I don't do well in frigid water.

I have kinda sorta regretted not going in those heady days. Guys were ending a trip with more money than most people will ever see.
Kinda amazing to see this thread come to life again..........in 1980 the crew share was $100k for a 7 week season. You could buy a house in Ballard for $50k. Those days are gone. We got $1 a pound for King Crab, and landed over 1 million pounds. Now they get $10 a pound, catch 100k pounds, and get paid better to get on TV....never would have guessed it.

Really nice to see Ian post here, good going based on a lot of experience. High five. I have fished the Bering Sea, in all seasons since 1980. Driven a 123' trawler since 87'.....and I trust and like a good multihull for mid latitude cruising. High latitudes I am not interested in, seen plenty of those....

I started posting photos on Facebook this year, mostly boat stuff, mostly Aleutians, and now Arctic also ( i drive a 115 expedition charted boat in the Arctic also)probably much you have never seen. Feel free to check it out. Jack Molan
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:16   #123

Boat: Perry 40 catamaran

Hi Barra, another piece of misinformation, Saltonay is and always was a Perry 40.
Cheers!............
yachtyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 11:25   #124

Have always really enjoyed this video--although it scares the crap out of me. Thank you for posting here. Does the Perry 40 have centerboards? If so, I've always wondered if they were up. I know I would have my boards up in a situation like that. I used to do this, in somewhat smaller waves, on a Hobie 16. Big rudders, no daggerboards, and keeping the bows up was the way to go.
Dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 13:12   #125

Perrys don't have daggerboards.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 19:24   #126

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtyian View Post
I discussed the situation with my two very experienced crew and told them that under no circumstances would I attempt the entrance unless I had their full support to do so. Without hesitation they stated that they were happy to go.,,It was then up to me and after sitting for half an hour watching how the sea was performing, i elected to make the run. Saltonay performed brilliantly, a minor correction on the helm straightened her up. she did exactly what she was designed to do. Any half competent skipper could have done what I did. It was certainly an adrenalin rush, but I can absolutely state that fear was not an issue. It all happened so quickly that I had no time to panic or be frightened for my safety. inside the boat was a vastly different feel from how it looked from the shore......Give me a break guys I'm a quallified skipper with 35 years experience. If you had seen and been where i was at the time, I think your decision would have been the same. Incidently the bar was flat as a pancake one and a half hours later................ Ian Sloan....skipper of Saltonay
I still stand by what I said before:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan
I think we can all come up with many reasons why this should not have happened at all. My "take " on it was the appreciation of the boat design to weather such an incident.

Jim Brown (Searunner designer) said many years ago. "If you want to feel safe, take a car that is designed for 150 miles per hour, and keep it at 60" Same thing with these boats, if they are designed to surf and not bury, they have a huge margin of safety. You may never do this, but if it happens you have a fighting chance of making it.
I think most well designed, built and maintained boats, regardless of type, are a lot stronger than the sailors who are on them. And frankly, I'm good with not testing the failure point of the performance envelope. Otherwise, I think it makes sense to give the guy some credit. If he and his crew judged it safe and did fine, why should anyone want to call his judgement into question? I doubt I would have done the same, but I don't have the local knowledge either.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 21:09   #127

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I loved the video, What an adreniline rush, absolutely grouse, well done, I didnt think it was unsafe at all, Bumpy yes, but definately safe to do,

The following waves get behind the cats transom and pick it up, which makes you go beam on momentarily, Easily corrected, then straighten up and ride straight through the lot, Which he did,

Very few entrances on the east coast of Oz doesnt have a serious bar crossing issue, The bars are constantly moving from day to day, So there is no way you will know for sure where they are,

Lakes Entrance bar, WOW, how many boats have been lost on that one, Ive seen video's of boats coming in through there, Very Hairy,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:59   #128

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

re: post 116 from the skipper.

I have had broaching issues when I had the cat, veering 30 deg of course but never more. Not sure my wheel inputs had any effect, just made me feel useful. The boat would have sorted it out despite my efforts.
Dropping the main would have helped too, probably. We were getting up to 14kts (hull speed 7ish) as we surfed down wave, entering the Needles Channel (IOW UK) with the tide against and the wind behind.

I saw the video and thought what a great advert this is for Cats.

I'd have been quite happy to be on board too, downhill sailing is fun!