Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 13:39   #61

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus
Re: Why don't people anchor closer to shore

Even anchoring is affected by the ever growing Communist World. Soon there will be fines for one cutting the cheese.

Take me back to my boyhood years in the 40ties and 50ties.

Senior Chief USN RETIRED
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 16:17   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
In europe it against the law to be less than 500 m from the shore but its not always policed. The sensible thing to do is ask about restrictions when you check in to a harbour or anchorage. Drop the hook far out first and reset closer in if its allowed. Many beaches have yellow bouys marking the limits
Huh? Are you sure about this? What does one do when anchoring in a bay or inlet that is less than 1 km wide?

Frankly, I find this hard to believe so could you post a reference so I can research the matter?

Jim
Old 28-03-2017, 16:48   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why don't people anchor closer to shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Huh? Are you sure about this? What does one do when anchoring in a bay or inlet that is less than 1 km wide?

Frankly, I find this hard to believe so could you post a reference so I can research the matter?

Jim
Copy and Paste from Noonsite..
It also applies in Portugal.. yellow buoys mark the limits and have traffic lanes to the beach for dinghy's and beach operated rides.

This report follows similar anchoring restrictions experienced by cruisers in the Balearics, however this is not new legislation. There is an EU law that prohibits anchoring too close to harbours or in non-designated areas for long periods. Designed for ships it has been enforced on yachts - which was never the intention – and there appears to be no hard and fast rule about how the law is enforced. Some port authorities enforce it, others do not.
It now appears that the current Port Captain of Santa Cruz de Tenerife is enforcing this law and not permitting any anchoring along the coast of Tenerife for foreign yacht (this includes La Gomera, La Palma & Hierro). Once he moves out of office, the situation may well change. The Port Captain in*Las Palmas de Gran Canaria*has explained that as*Las Palmas*does not have a mechanism for vessels to request authorisation to anchor (in areas away from those controlled by the port) the Guardia Civil are not able to look to see who is or is not authorised and so the rule is not enforced. Cruisers anchoring in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura (Playa Papagayo and Isla Lobos), have so far not experienced any problems and whilst La Gomera is under the jurisdiction of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, cruisers report that there is not the Guardia Civil presence there as there is in Tenerife, and have managed to anchor problem-free.
It’s not only local harbour authorities in Tenerife that are discriminating against non-Spanish boats and not permitting them to anchor.* This also has been reported in the Balearics and in Catalonia. EC law does not permit them to discriminate against EC boats registered in other member states, however it is difficult to argue with the local maritime police, whom it appears may have general maritime law on their side when it comes to anchoring.
Over recent years, other parts of Spain (in particular the Balearics) have become more and more “anchoring unfriendly”. Jim B, experienced Mediterranean cruiser (JimB Sail | Helping Skippers plan European Cruises) explains; “The Spanish Maritime police have quoted in the past a general ban on mechanically propelled vessels anchoring within 500m of the coastline. It isn’t quite clear however as to whether this only applies to anchoring off swimming beaches, but where there are buoys separating swimming areas from anchoring areas yachts can it seems anchor closer than 500m. Similar default regulations seem to apply in Greece and Italy; default because they were inherited from legislation designed for large commercial vessels. It appears that little has been done to adapt the legislation for leisure traffic operating from beaches, apart from requiring local authorities to mark out traffic lanes if mechanically*propelled vessels are to approach a "swimming area".”
Jim B concludes, “It does seem that people are being "moved on" from anchorages more and more often. A general trend in busy areas (such as Mallorca) is to grant concessions to local groups to lay fields of buoys, and dis-allow anchoring in the designated field (even if it is not fully occupied with buoys). Several Mallorca Calas no longer allow anchoring.”
To anchor in Tenerife, La Gomera, La Palma & Hierro, yachts should ask for permission in advance at the Capitania of Santa Cruz. It is also recommended that yachts should seek approval before anchoring elsewhere in the Canaries. Yachts that anchor in remote places without authorisation should not be surprised if they are asked to move on.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 18:58   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Phil, tks for that. So, it isn't a general rule for all of Europe, but a regional thing that is sporadically applied, and not always at the 500 metre line. What a PITA. Think I'll stay in the south Pacific!

Jim
Old 28-03-2017, 19:11   #65

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
In europe it against the law to be less than 500 m from the shore but its not always policed. The sensible thing to do is ask about restrictions when you check in to a harbour or anchorage. Drop the hook far out first and reset closer in if its allowed. Many beaches have yellow bouys marking the limits
Wow, oh wow. Really? I can't even count the number of times we dropped anchor in the med and then brought a stern line ashore. And I assure you that the line was significantly less than 500 metres. But then again it's been a few years......
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 04:50   #66

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Even anchoring is affected by the ever growing Communist World. Soon there will be fines for one cutting the cheese.

Take me back to my boyhood years in the 40ties and 50ties.

Senior Chief USN RETIRED
I don't think the "good old days" were quite as good as we might remember. Polio, tuberculosis, unsafe vehicles, pollution so bad one river in Ohio caught fire and burned for days, ...................

What you so fondly remember is a time when there were half as many people on the earth as there are today and we could do things without interfering with other people.

There were good times but it was far from perfect and in general, we are better off today.
Old 29-03-2017, 04:52   #67

Quote:
In europe it against the law to be less than 500 m from the shore ...............
I read it on the Internet so it must be true.
Old 29-03-2017, 05:19   #68

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

You are correct most things you read on the internet should be regarded with at least some caution however there are some fairly trusted resources for cruising sailors such as noonsite.com where I first read about the 500m rule. As Ripley used to say believe it or not!
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 05:23   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Phil, tks for that. So, it isn't a general rule for all of Europe, but a regional thing that is sporadically applied, and not always at the 500 metre line. What a PITA. Think I'll stay in the south Pacific!

Jim
I don't know.. I find it quite reasonable and a good policy really..
When you think that there's maybe 100 people on the beach for every boat anchored is it not a bit selfish to take up so much water space where families want to swim and play.. another thing is commercial interests.. those beach bars would much rather see a limit and have 100's of land customers spending with them than a handful of selfish boaters who more often than not go back to the boat to eat and drink.. or bring it with them.
Remember.. the EU is pretty densely populated and everyone heads for the Med in the summer..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-03-2017, 07:27   #70

There are beaches in the USA that limit how close boats can operate (you have to operate it to anchor it, right?) but they are few and far between and they are marked as such with buoys and/or ropes and signs. These are generally named public beaches that are often crowded in warm weather. Sometimes there will be a marked boat launching area where one could land and launch a dinghy.

Other than that, there is no general rule or law regarding how close a boat can operate to the shore other than speed or wake limits.

Personally, I avoid places like this if possible and look for smaller "unofficial" beaches with few people. My favorites are ones on islands than can only be reached by boat. This limits the number of people on the beach and means there are no boat distance regulations. Everybody there is a boater or came with a boater and they understand.
Old 29-03-2017, 07:52   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Two Algarve beaches in summer.. one you can anchor as close as you dare.. no land access.. the other you stay 500metres off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Praia-da-Rocha-Algarve.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	144233  
Attached Images

Old 29-03-2017, 16:56   #72

ridman "I read it on the Internet so it must be true."

Boatman61 "a handful of selfish boaters who more often than not go back to the boat to eat and drink.. or bring it with them."

Now that is a true statement by Boatman61 and I would add

"looking for free access to water, toilet and shower facilities and free rubbish dumping."

I was recently talking to the manager of a private yacht club camp ground where he not only has to contend with people coming ashore to use the facilities when not entitled or even bothering to ask if it was OK. Some had been observed after making a not entitled deposit in the toilet or rubbish bin (It's on an Island so they pay to have rubbish collected) leaving with a replenishment supply of toilet paper in hand as well.

It's the few who spoil it for the majority more often than not.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 19:58   #73

Steven Spielberg fined for mooring boat too close to Sardinia beach - Telegraph

Anything involving Spielberg must be absolute fact!
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 20:04   #74

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

It's not how close to shore you anchor but what anchor you use that's important. Any suggestions?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 11:35   #75

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
It's not how close to shore you anchor but what anchor you use that's important. Any suggestions?
Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach Anchors.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	144351  
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor