Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40   #76

Re: Why Choose Gunboat 60 Over Outremer 5X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Johnstone View Post
Surfer Girl, thank you for the kind comments.

As for the negative types, your persistent and repeated comments across several forums have done a nice job keeping Gunboat at the forefront of discussions. So thank you for your continued attention and raising issues that allow us to respond. It should help clear the air of BS.

The Gunboat 60 in the video was performing preliminary sea trials to test major systems. IT HAS NOT BEEN DELIVERED, so any judgement being passed is premature. That paint line was touched up before the video was ever seen. As most people know that have taken the time to get to know Gunboat, they will also know that we do not deliver until the boat is 100%. Anyone that has seen this Gunboat 60 will assure you that it is amongst our finest work, on par with the Gunboat 90 and our Gunboat 66 series. The result is simply stunning.

When we first built in South Africa, we heard similar ignorant and racist comments. The Gunboats built there, or anywhere, always turn out and set a world standard. Our work in China and the US will continue that long established Gunboat tradition. The location of the build has little to do with the result. The specifications, design, database of knowledge, labor training, management and materials matter most. We can take our Gunboat IP and apply it anywhere and achieve a world leading result. This is what separates Gunboat from the rest. You might find parallel examples with Mercedes Benz, or any other manufacturer that is producing high quality product under well managed structures in China. Check where your ipad or phone are made.

Our intent to is to best serve the Atlantic basin with our new US yard in NC. And to best serve the Pacific basin with the production in Xiamen.

The marina where we sea trial from is an enormous development. The marina was just opened to the sea a few months ago. The slips are filling up with new boats daily. The enthusiasm for yachting is really impressive, and the pace of growth is simply jaw dropping. Until you see it firsthand, you will simply not understand.

China's waters will slowly open up due to internal demand, and access to outsiders will follow after that. China may be ruled by the communist party, but it is driven by one of the most capitalistic economies in the world today. We have found the authorities diligent, thorough and friendly. They only twitch when we tell them there are some Americans and German running a Gunboat along the coastline.
Just don't tell them "there's a gunboat coming up the coast with a British crew." Things may end badly.

On a more serious note there is a very good reason for having a yard in China that Peter touched on. There is a huge market there for high end goods, and by building there you can avoid the very expensive import tariffs. Companies like Audi and Mercedes build their cars for the Chinese market in china to avoid these tariffs and they are at the same level of quality as anywhere else in the world.
Se7en_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I will add that calling someone a racist or a bigot because of all the myriad civil rights and political issues associated with that country is beneath you. The China issue was raised in Sailing Anarchy as well. I'll bet ya don't criticze that government when you're over there, do ya. Us yanks, aussies, poles, french, kiwis, SAs, brits, etc. are free to do that. And we like it that way.
Hmm ... a few years ago when I drove from San Diego, CA to Austin, TX to visit a friend, I got checked by a border control (check points). Unfort. I forgot my passport in San Diego but I had a CA driver licence - well guess what happened. They put me into a detention center. Just because a border patrol officer was not able to understand what was on the computer display (and may be a racist ?)

So Sand Crab - which country is a banana republic ?

PS : didnt even had a chance to make a call, cause in that case I had NO RIGHTS (like these Guantamo dudes). But after a few days my dad was able to get a local lawyer. No problem to get me out there. But still I wouldn't tell bad things about the US ppl - there are just a few ones, as everywhere else, which are big a**holes.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28   #78

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Zonk, feel free to criticize the US. You won't be 'disappeard"
Old 07-09-2012, 12:32   #79

And Peter J. I just bought the winning lotto ticket where's that contract for me to sign?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:14   #80

Dear Peter;

I know the frustration that comes with the criticism to one's work. However, my guess is that you're missing a very important point. People (at least myself) do not judge Gunboat as they judge other manufacturers' boats. Since you can compare a Mercedes only to another Mercedes, same goes for your products. Maybe it's your fault (!) to raise the bar so high and make us expect so much, which I'm sure the end product delivers anyway. As for myself, GB60 finally fixed the ongoing problem with all Gunboats, the small space for beds due to low roofline.

I remember reading an article of a delivery/test captain of your's returning pages of faults to you before delivery in order to fix and his comment about your joy to get that list prior to delivery in order to get as close to perfection. Since "perfection" is the product you sell, you should be more tolerant with the criticism that comes with even the most minuscule or ridiculous flaud.

The GB60 looks truly awesome, but I'll definitely order mine with Lamborghini red...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32   #81

Ts ts ... there is no Lambo red, Lambos are typically yellow and may be orange or black. Only Ferraris are supposed to be red !
Old 08-09-2012, 07:46   #82

Check the Aventator J!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:57   #83

Is there a canopy/bimini available as an option for the helm positions on the 5X?
And has anyone ever done one on the GBs?
FWIW I think I read about one on Chris Whites Atlantic boats here somewhere.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:04   #84

I was wondering when the Atlantic series would come up!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:42   #85

Boat: Outremer 5X

Quote:
Is there a canopy/bimini available as an option for the helm positions on the 5X?
Not in the standard list of options, but one can do pretty much what one wants since one can do custom things on the boat. I have a custom helm seat being fitted, but no cover for it, you could fit a small foldable bimini to that if you wanted one.

That said, the boom is very close to the hard bimini that shades the cockpit and there isn't room probably to do a bimini if you are very tall, or one to shade you when standing. The plus point of this is of course a 127 sqM main sail
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:59   #86

Quote:
A more bizarre -yet cool- approach would be to adept individual canopies to the tiller seats...
Old 09-09-2012, 05:18   #87

Why conopy or bimini ? If you play in that league, then you can afford some kind of a slave, that provides you the shade you need !
Old 09-09-2012, 05:27   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Why conopy or bimini ? If you play in that league, then you can afford some kind of a slave, that provides you the shade you need !
Young Bo Derek with a palm leaf maybe?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:31   #89
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435

you are forgetting about privacy i really feel a bimini is the preferred route to go,
Our solution was placing the steering wheels at the end of the Bimini both sides so if you want shade stand or sit to the inside and if not to the outside of the bimini
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0044kl.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	46202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	46203  

fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:33   #90

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

What do you want?...the fastest?, the most expensive?, the most comfortable at anchor, at the marina, at sea?, the best sailing? the best looking?
It's your money, what do YOU want?
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer