Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2010, 19:35   #91

I think it's called masochism but good for you! Since I can't find a polar for MC41 what was the upwind VMG? Wind speed and sea state? It's always good to hear the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
...OK, explain this then.

BVIs to St. Martin is approx. 80 miles to windward. In December 2008 we sailed every bit of it on our MC41. After arriving in the lagoon we attended numerous cruiser happy hours with folks cruising monos and multis alike. We did not speak with anyone who sailed.

Now do we point as high as a mono, NO! But as cchesley pointed out, we crack off a few degrees and the boat moves better and she tells you that you are doing the right thing.

Bottom line (again!). They are different boats just as an Island Packet is different from a Wally is different than a Gunboat is different than a Chris White tri. Enjoy what you have.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 20:14   #92

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Jaywalker-My answer to your situation is that you should get a boat that is best suited to the use pattern you intend for it and get one that is a good example of it's type whatever that may be. The best way to determine what boat that may be is for you to educate yourself to the point where you have your own opinion. While there are significant differences between mono and multi there are also big differences between mono and mono-multi and multi. Then comes the question of personal style whatever that is for you.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 04:48   #93

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Cats are for Girls ?
Yeah... If you want to get a girl... Get a cat! If you prefer boys then get a mono.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 05:25   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I think I did pretty well hooking one with a mono!
Old 17-02-2010, 06:17   #95

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I think I did pretty well hooking one with a mono!
There are of course exceptions to every rule.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 09:14   #96

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I think it's called masochism but good for you! Since I can't find a polar for MC41 what was the upwind VMG? Wind speed and sea state? It's always good to hear the numbers.
Sorry Joli,

No polars here. I can fill you with some statistics, but then we are going to be in the realm of "lies, damned lies and STATISTICS!"

As I said, we don't point nearly as well as many monos. Virtually any racer/cruiser mono will eat our lunch to windward, but few cruising monos do. FWIW, our (selective ) anecdotal experience island hopping is we leave later and arrive earlier than our mono friends.

I have to say though that this is the only place where I see the mono v. multi argument. In this cruising life, we have friends who own monos, multis, trawlers, airplanes etc. We don't go around saying "my boat's better than yours!"

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 09:38   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry Joli,
I have to say though that this is the only place where I see the mono v. multi argument. In this cruising life, we have friends who own monos, multis, trawlers, airplanes etc. We don't go around saying "my boat's better than yours!"

Fair Winds,
Mike
It's easier to say it on the Internet.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:49   #98
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Mono vs Multi - A Final Solution!

I suggest that the moderators require all us members to give access to a Paypal account. Every time one of us posts to a mono vs multi thread, $1 gets deducted from the Paypal account. It is then deposited in an account for buying beer at the CF raft up in the San Juans this July.

Come on guys, keep the arguments coming! Us PNW's thank you!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 09:56   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I suggest that the moderators require all us members to give access to a Paypal account. Every time one of us posts to a mono vs multi thread, $1 gets deducted from the Paypal account. It is then deposited in an account for buying beer at the CF raft up in the San Juans this July.

ID
Great idea! But pro-multis can post $2 (or $3) ... one for each hull. Those guys can all afford superfluous hulls anyway, right?
Old 17-02-2010, 14:00   #100

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Jaywalker-My answer to your situation is that you should get a boat that is best suited to the use pattern you intend for it and get one that is a good example of it's type whatever that may be. The best way to determine what boat that may be is for you to educate yourself to the point where you have your own opinion. While there are significant differences between mono and multi there are also big differences between mono and mono-multi and multi. Then comes the question of personal style whatever that is for you.
Since everything I have read and heard about cruising supports the claim (fact?) that 90-95% of all time is spent on the hook and that cats are more comfortable, spacious, airy, less "rolley", etc. at anchor then it is simply a "no-brainer". Pretty simple really.

But don't get me wrong, PLEASE!!

I don't want the mono owners to change up till I am done using the nicer places to anchor.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 14:40   #101

If budget wasn't an issue, a multihull would be my dream. Multihulls are not only more expensive, but (in my opinion) - you can't "get away" with buying an old (or older) one. Multihull technology has impressively improved, so for me (money notwithstanding) the decision is this: A new multihull would be my first choice.

I'm looking at an older monohull. You get way more for the money!

DesertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 16:59   #102

Hello Mike,

Not sure that I've ever said my boat is better then yours. I'm a live an let live kind of guy, happy for everyone who sails and wish them only the best.

But, being an ex racer numbers always intrigue me. I see the sizzle being sold in the glossy adds and then I'm curious about how it stacks up against real world sailing with payload and a lumpy sea state. How does a boat sail against its polars, what do rally elapsed times tell us, how does the Gunboat 62 fair against the mono's in a Mac Race, what are the logged passage times, why do the brochures tout speeds of 14, 16, 18 but average passage times are 7?

For what it's worth, I'm in snow covered Ohio, you're in St Martin; game set match in your favor I would say. And your obviously a tough guy if you sail upwind through the Caribbean two step. Have a roattie (sp?) at the Fat Virgin for me.

Cheers,

Joli
Quote:
Sorry Joli,

No polars here. I can fill you with some statistics, but then we are going to be in the realm of "lies, damned lies and STATISTICS!"

As I said, we don't point nearly as well as many monos. Virtually any racer/cruiser mono will eat our lunch to windward, but few cruising monos do. FWIW, our (selective ) anecdotal experience island hopping is we leave later and arrive earlier than our mono friends.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 17-02-2010, 17:01   #103

Why keep score? Let's just meet up and drink beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I suggest that the moderators require

all us members to give access to a Paypal account. Every time one of us posts to a mono vs multi thread, $1 gets deducted from the Paypal account. It is then deposited in an account for buying beer at the CF raft up in the San Juans this July.

ID
Old 18-02-2010, 09:20   #104

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
So what about a large cat that carries a J/95 under its belly with a quick lift rig for its mast. That should take care of all the mono and multi fixated sailors.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 10:46   #105

Wouldn't that be a trimaran variant?
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull