Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 23:32   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Who Said Lagoons can't sail.......

So I have just picked up my new (to me) Lagoon 440 and sailed it down from the Whitsundays to Brisbane - Did it in 6 days with only 2 of those nights at sea - Its approximately 560NM.

I thought that Lagoons were pretty average at sailing and had made that compromise for the living space for a family that it provides - Second to none in my opinion.

On route I hit a max speed of 10.7 Kt in gusting to 23Kt Apparent at about 100 degrees. More modestly it was happily sailing along between 7.5 and 8.5Kts in 10-14 Kt of apparent anywhere between around 60 and 100 apparent. To me that is pretty good for what it is, although I have limited experience on Cats.

Lower than 60 degrees its much happier if the wind is a bit more substantial and in lower winds it still managed to sail at 7 KT at 45 Degrees.....

With the help of the leeward engine

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised by its sailing ability, although we did get slowly passed at 2AM by a 72' Mono which was almost close enough to touch!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191027-204426.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	202512  
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 23:40   #2

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer
Re: Who Said Lagoons can't sail.......

Nice post. The lagoon 440 is on my list so it will be interesting to hear more of what you think.

There’s one literally 3 min walk away from me here in Nelson Bay NSW. Seems rather big so it’s really interesting to hear about it’s sailing ability.
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 00:21   #3
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I thought that Lagoons were pretty average at sailing and had made that compromise for the living space for a family that it provides - Second to none in my opinion.
So you're not really talking about lagoons here, you're talking about THE L440 !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:45   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

That's a good start for a new to you boat - you must be chuffed!

What's the current plan, onwards to Perth or ....?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:34   #5

Not sure I would buy a Lagoon unless live in a good reaching windy area! Sailed in Med, cross Atlantic and Caribbean and seen many Lagoons. Only in Caribbean was it worth considering. Unfortunately many Lagoon owners our newer to sailing and buy the largest accomodation and use the engine 90% of time. Sounds like you have wind and know how to sail so have fun. P.S. Buy a code zero!��
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:57   #6
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni View Post
Not sure I would buy a Lagoon...
Every time the same BS from people who think they know ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	tracks.png
Views:	526
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	202538
Old 02-11-2019, 09:02   #7

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Oh so all those heavy "world class cruising boats" that I see motoring to weather are really catamarans that have somehow lost one of their hulls.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13   #8

Wow!

7 knot boat speed at 45 degrees apparent wind! Be still my heart!

That's pretty....

mediocre.

Not that it is not good enough for you, and if you are happy with it, good for you. But that's not sailing "upwind". Do the math... figure out what the TRUE WIND angle was...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58   #9

Lots of mono hills motor to weather. Not sure what BS is about?! All boats are a trade off and most boats stay on a marina and end up under engine only. So whatever the boat it's great we all enjoy them for those of us who sail 90 % of the time. Enjoy your Lagoon.
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:10   #10
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Wow!

That's pretty....

mediocre.

Not that it is not good enough for you, and if you are happy with it, good for you. But that's not sailing "upwind". Do the math... figure out what the TRUE WIND angle was...
Yes that is about what a L440 can do in ... 10 to 11 knots TWS, that is good enough for me. The AP does everything and my guest and I enjoying a glass of rosé wine. Of course the glass can be left unattended on the table. You don't like that way of sailing do you ? Do you think we care ?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14   #11
rom

Quote:
Lots of mono hills motor to weather. Not sure what BS is about?! All boats are a trade off and most boats stay on a marina and end up under engine only. So whatever the boat it's great we all enjoy them for those of us who sail 90 % of the time. Enjoy your Lagoon.
We are from different planets I think. You said a lagoon is only good for reaching, I am showing you a few upwind tracks. Can you read tracks or do you need any help to understand that those tracks show a boat (L440) going upwind ??
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I believe the OP stated he bought willing to give some on performance for room. The performance didn't sound half bad. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Wow!

That's pretty....

mediocre.

I mean, I’m happy the original poster is happy with his boat and it is working to his satisfaction. There’s nothing better than that. Congratulations on that. However, I have to admit I did have the same thoughts as I quoted here. My monohull has the same sailing performance as this. A big, heavy, monohull.

So it’s not doing very well at all. However, if that’s what makes the OP happy, that’s good. He has the space he needs, it’s a comfortable boat of course because it doesn’t heel or rock at anchor. It’s got a lot of good points. But I don’t think excellent sailing is really one of them. At least not to us people who have had some catamarans already.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:43   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

More Lagoons cruising the world than anything but a Beneteau. The track is not consistent with the data provided, however. Pretty decent tack angles in the provided graph, but the true tack on 11knots of true wind (15 knots apparent), 7 knots of boat speed and 45 degrees apparent wind is 142 degrees before leeway. The plotted tack angles, with leeway, look closer to 100 degrees.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:43   #15

Quote:
Not sure I would buy a Lagoon unless live in a good reaching windy area! Sailed in Med, cross Atlantic and Caribbean and seen many Lagoons. Only in Caribbean was it worth considering. Unfortunately many Lagoon owners our newer to sailing and buy the largest accomodation and use the engine 90% of time. Sounds like you have wind and know how to sail so have fun. P.S. Buy a code zero!��
It is not true. I sailed down from STOCKHOLM last summer tomGran Canaria and more single hulls are motoring than catamarans. I have a Lagoon 380. I am now 73 and been sailing since 5 years age. The Lagoon is the best boat I ever had.
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, sail