Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 21:07   #31

Re: Which multihull would YOU choose for mostly solo long distance cruising?

Thanks gruffa,

I think thats a fine looking boat, I've always had a fascination for Horstmans. I hope you get around to W.A one day.
Be good if you could give us a review of the sailing qualities sometime, I'm particularly interested to hear how it goes to weather particularly in the 20-30 knot range as thats out local breeze.
Cheers,
RR
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 01:53   #32

Apparently Mistral was built in Washington by Al Koban.
He also built an 18 and 48 Tristar, though I don't know if he finished the 48.

I shall certainly report back on the sailing as I am very interested to find out myself.
gruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 01:58   #33

Two photos of Mistral
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200915_095456_compress71.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	223477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200915_095440_compress66.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	223478  

Old 16-09-2020, 13:10   #34

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Congratulations on your boat. Yes, Al Koban built her. It's great to know that she's still around and looking good. She's by far the best looking Horstman I've seen.

Cheers,
Old 20-09-2020, 12:12   #35

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I'm pretty sure that old pic of Mistal is on Lake Union. About the 2500-2700 block of Fairview/Eastlake Ave E in Seattle. Thats a trip down memory lane. I lived on the left edge of the picture in the 1970s and raced my Lightning against Chaak, mentioned upthreat, and 12 Meter Weatherly in the Duck Dodges at the time. The upper deck of Interstate-5 is just visible in the upper left corner. Just down the street theres a ~45' 1960's trimaran liveaboard parked in the same place its been in for ~45 years. I've recently chatted with the old lady that still lives on it. I'll be driving by it this afternoon.

Pretty boat that Mistal. Good luck with her. Amazing its still providing joy 50 or so years later on the other side of the world. Imagine how the the original builder would feel to know that.

Jamie can you fill in some of the boat's history prior to your picture. And do keep us updated. Joe Dazy will know if Al was a member of the Multihull (material buyers) Club that is still going all these years later.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 13:10   #36

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Yes, Al was a member. That's how I got invited to his launch party

Cheers,
Old 20-09-2020, 20:04   #37

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Well Joe, I'm sure Gruffa and well as the rest of us would like to hear any info or stories of Mistral or Al the builder: On this thread or at Octobers Zoom meeting. To y'all: The club I mentioned is still going strong though it is mostly social, cruising, with a little fboat racing thrown in. There is some building & refitting going on but it is no longer a buying club. We do get a discount at Seattle's best chandlery, Fisheries Supply though. Anyone can join us in our monthly Zoom meetings. I post notices here around the first of the month. Oct 6 is the next one.
Old 21-09-2020, 06:16   #38

Ejlindahl, jdazey, thanks for your added information!
I am super keen to find the history and story of this boat. Between Al and the previous owner to me, I know not much so far.
Ed Horstman said he heard from the guy who bought it from Al and was invited for a sail down San Diego way before he left for NZ. Ed didn't say whether he went or not though.
Al's three daughters were very thrilled to learn that their father's boat is still around.

The story of discovering that Mustang was Mistral started with Ed and his wife identifying the pulpit as belonging to Mistral. Then I was looking at the few old photos I could find, and was sent, and comparing them with Mustang.
Several little items seemed to match. Then found the mast was an exact match. A gold anodised spar from Chichester, England. But still not knowing whether there might have been more than one boat with one of those masts, I still wanted another clue. Mistral had deep red trim. Mustang has grey trim. But when we pulled up the daaggerboards the other day, there in the middle section between the white top and antifouled tip was that beautiful deep red paint. Positive ID!
Old 21-09-2020, 21:55   #39

Its fun to hear the history of a boat you own. Hopefully Joe has something to add.
Old 21-09-2020, 23:06   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

One of the earlier Searunner 31s sailed from the W coast and thru Polynesia with a crew of 3. I believe at least one has been sailed to Australia from US.

Woods Gypsy has also.

Main thing with a Searunner is to be 100% sure it is for for offshore. They are old, homebuilt wood boats! I recently surveyed a SR 37 for a family of like 6 mostly teenagers that wanted to sail from FL to Australia. Boat was in OK shape but I strongly recommended against it.

The couple nights we spent with water breaking over the
center cabin top sailing with storm jib and double reef, made be glad I was sure. Also that I'd adopted some of Jim's construction ideas in one of Richard's designs.
Old 28-09-2020, 09:22   #41

Boat: Corsair Cruze 970

If it was me and just me (w/ the occasional stowaway), this would already be in my driveway. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...33-xr-3600633/

Not sure if within your budget, but regardless, there is an offer on it now. :-(
Old 28-09-2020, 09:32   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
If it was me and just me (w/ the occasional stowaway), this would already be in my driveway. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...33-xr-3600633/

Not sure if within your budget, but regardless, there is an offer on it now. :-(

Nice choice!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 13:15   #43

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

If that F33 is unfortunately under offer, I have a sweet F32 for sale in Northern Europe...

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 19:38   #44

Boat: Farrier f27

Magentawave I haven't seen exactly what you consider to be "on a budget". That could be anything from $5,000, $50,000 or $100,000.
I owned a Searunner 31, sailed it from Maui to Seattle. That was after the prior owners had sailed it from Santa Cruz to Tahiti and on to Maui. It was an incredibly capable boat and a joy to sail and live on. If you found a good one and after this many years it would be a rare find.
I have just been talking to the owner of what John Marples calls the best example of a CC 35 that has been built. It is the same boat featured in Jim Browns YouTube video of Good Enough.
Presently it's for sale in central Florida and remains well equipped. He's asking only $40,000.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:38   #45

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Which multihull would YOU choose for mostly solo long distance cruising?

Im not certain but an older FP in the 35 ft range would not be it based on one sail of 3 days

Tags
cruising, hull, multihull