Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 07:48   #1

Boat: Morgan 45 CC
Send a message via MSN to betachz Send a message via Yahoo to betachz
Which Catamaran is Right for You, Right for Me?

I'm looking for a catamaran that is ready for blue water cruising, has loads of creature comforts, good handling, etc... what is considered the best all around Cat manufacturer out there? I'm currently looking at Catana 431's as they are in my price range of about $200,000 - $300,000 US and seem to have what I'm looking for, as well as good upwind performance and plenty of clearance under the deck.

Does anyone have any tips on what to make sure I look for in a Cat, things that woudl disqualify a cat, etc...?

I currently sail Hobie 20 Racing Catamaran and I'm looking to take my wife and I on a circumnavigation at some point in the future and want to be sure the boat I purchase is up for the job.

Thanks in advance. I'd appreciate anything you might have to offer.

-beta
betachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:07   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Not everybody drives a BMW to the party. Even the guys that show up in a Yugo will have a good time. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.

Mine is a custom cold molded built to crush icebergs the surveor said. The boat was built for simplicity of it's everyday use. No hotwater heater, but a tea kettle with a hole in the vanity to a shower tank is our hot water. Works for me, but not for most....BEST WISHES
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE-STERN SOLO.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	3197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE SOLO-MIAMI.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	3198  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 41
People are voyaging in most all of the designs. Whatever you find that works for you will undoubtedly enable a fun experience. I'd just check on whatever owner networks/forums you can find for each manufacturer/designer. You'll quickly hear the 'issues' from those out living with them. Then you can descide for yourself what you can live with.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:41   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
I'm currently looking at Catana 431's as they are in my price range of about $200,000 - $300,000 US
Are you sure? I've never seen a Catana 431 for less than 200k GBP which is around $400kUS. Yes there are old 42s from the the late 80s early 90s that get down towards the top end of your range but surely not a 431?

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:53   #5

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
I agree with Mike. I have never seen a Catana 431 for anything near the prices you quoted. I would have said nearer $400-$500 if you find one for $250 tread carefully as it's way below market price.
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:54   #6

Yachtworld shows 11 Catana 431s for sale. The lowest asking price is well over 500K USD:

catana 431 (Sail) Multi-hull Boats For Sale
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 15:14   #7

Yes.. you're right... I guess my eyes are bigger than my wallet I had seen a couple 38's and the like for nearer that price... but your'e right.. the 431 is outside that budget. Are there smaller, blue water capable Cats out there... if the Catana 38 would be enough for comfortable sailing I like that particular boat design (center cockpit) and such.

Some suggested manufacturers, your favorites, what you think I should take a look at would be great?! What have you see people using the most?

Thanks again!

beta.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:00   #8

Boat: Catana 471
beta - have you sailed any cruising cats? Way different than your H-20. I recommend you consider chartering some cats to get a better idea of what's available in production boats, which is where your budget will keep you.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 14:15   #9

2hulls,

Actually I'm already on it working on getting all my ASA certs under my belt and then will start to charter some different boats down and around the BVI's to get a better idea of what I'll end up with.

Thanks
beta.
Old 06-04-2008, 14:22   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Does it need to be a catamaran? You can get a pretty decent sized "half-hull" in your price range. Once you load up a small catamaran with all the cruising goodies they are not that much faster than a comparably priced monohull. Weight is the enemy of catamarans.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 14:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Does it need to be a catamaran? You can get a pretty decent sized "half-hull" in your price range. Once you load up a small catamaran with all the cruising goodies they are not that much faster than a comparably priced monohull. Weight is the enemy of catamarans.
David,

I've given much thought to the monohull idea but I think the wife and I would appreciate the space and creature comforts that a cat can provide. Feeling like being in a floating RV for years doesn't sound to good to either of us. I like the relative stability of the cat (I'm more familiar with how they like to sail) and again the square footage of living area are all huge +'s to us. Speed is nice but not my main objective when looking at cats. I am also partial to the design and asethetics of the cat. I'm a graphic designer and the "classic" woodwork, fittings, and whatnot of most blue water monohulls, gets on my very last nerve.

-beta
Old 06-04-2008, 14:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I grew up around and raced Hobies as well. I too like cats much better than monohulls. I was just throwing an idea out there. I am the same way about external wood and unnecessary ornamentation on a boat....its more work than its worth and it is generally ugly. Thats just my taste in boats...others like the old pirate ship look.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 16:13   #13
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by betachz View Post
Yes.. you're right... I guess my eyes are bigger than my wallet I had seen a couple 38's and the like for nearer that price... but your'e right.. the 431 is outside that budget. Are there smaller, blue water capable Cats out there... if the Catana 38 would be enough for comfortable sailing I like that particular boat design (center cockpit) and such.

Some suggested manufacturers, your favorites, what you think I should take a look at would be great?! What have you see people using the most?

Thanks again!

beta.
Find a Catalac 10 or 12 meter or a Prout 37 or 39 in good shape and they will work just fine. Have ssullivan post some photos of his 10 meter catalac and you'll be pleasently surprised at the room and solid construction.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:54   #14

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Come across quite a few boats sailed to Australia from overseas have owned a mono and now am enjoying a cat.Have noticed some vessels which are supposed to be "blue water" have been built and kitted out very light.These vessels are more coastal than blue water,buyer beware.The reason for me buying the simmons maxim is the true blue water capability the factory even sail deliver to anywhere in the world ,guess thats standing by your product.Yes i would and will sail mine round the world hopefully leave next march and wouldnt hesitate to recommend these to you.You should be able to pick up a two year old for about 300k.Good luck Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 17:29   #15

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
have a look at this

1996 Mayotte Voyage 4 Cabin / 4 Head, Galley Up Boat For
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote