Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 13:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Which Cat to Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Best advice I ever got, “buy the most waterline you can afford.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
Interesting. The best advice that I heard was to buy the smallest boat that will do what you need it to do. I followed it and it worked out well for me. FYI 99% of registered boats are 40ft or shorter according to USCG data. I am not part of the 1 percent :-)
The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. You can buy the smallest (as in accommodations rig size etc)boat that will do the job and the longest waterline you can afford. There are a number of designers whose whole approach is based on that. EG Bob Oram deisigns boats that are compact in the cabin but with long slim hulls,
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 13:57   #17

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

There's an FP Bahia 46 for sale on your side of the planet. From what I understand the Bahia was a pretty good sailing boat, and at 46 ft should be fairly roomy.

As Rigger Bruce pointed out the Bahia only has one shroud per side, but that's true of virtually all FP boats. The masts don't fall off or you would be hearing about it all over these boards. As would be true for any used boat, I would replace the shrouds on any 10 year or older boat as preventive maintenance.

1997 Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 14:52   #18

I would like to always see a "Lower Back shrould under the cap t help insure you might have a fighting chance to get things down and save the mast. But in saying that, I saw one cat leave here and they lost the leeward cap and didn't stop to think to get a spiniker haulyard over there as they immediately dropped their main and the mast before that had pressure to hold the mast due to the sail being full. But once that main dropped the mast fell over to windward. Aagin a cat with no lower stay to help stop that. A manta which is another that should be on the cannels of europe if they fit. not out in Blue water ocean sailing.
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 15:54   #19

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I think some of the best designed catamarans are from Australians. If that's where you are, I'd look at Schionnings, Lightwaves, Graingers, Seawinds, etc...
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 16:54   #20
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBe View Post
There are plenty available, here are six in Europe as well as others elsewhere:-

Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 for sale - YachtWorld UK

Also, there is one on that list in NSW so you can go and have a look in person.

Alternatively, you might want to think about the Bahia 46 which is the same age as the Belize but very slightly bigger although there's no real difference in prices:-

Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 for sale - YachtWorld UK

Again, various examples in Europe and one in Australia so that you can go and view it.

I don't know what your budget is, but the model that replaced the Belize 43 was the Helia 44 but they start at about A$600,000:-

Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 for sale - YachtWorld UK

A couple of bloggers (they also have Youtube channels as well) who have Helia 44s have done reviews of them. This is one, after doing 20,000nm on the boat:-

Out Chasing Stars 20,000nm Helia Review - An Update - Out Chasing Stars

And this is the other blogger about how they fitted out their new boat:-

Outfitting a Boat to Sail Around the World: What We Bought, What We Learned & What We'd Do Differently - Turf to Surf

Also, if you haven't already then I would say that it's worth subscribing to their Youtube channels as well.
Thanks for that Bahia and Belize are worth looking at as you say - Ill check the youtube stuff out as well
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 16:59   #21
UFO

Re: Which Cat to Buy? I am a to rigging in Fiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger Bruce View Post
I see many cats come through here and being a rigger I would say stay away from,lagoons they're built for hiding behind carrabean islands not out in bumpy oceans.they bend too much and we find we are working on mostly them.theBahia doesn't have enough stays, only two cap shroulds and a headstay.so when something goes pop, there is usually a crash after as the mast comes down. I have to say a Catana is one of the best if you can afford one, fast and high tunnel for less slamming. I didn't ever own a cat, sailed many but work on heaps.Bruce
Lagoons look beautiful inside, but I really don't like the Flybridge - To far away from the action when docking and anything with a boom that high does not look safe to me - I presume they go with a smaller sail plan to accommodate the flybridge?
Otherwise I hear good things about lagoons from people who own them and not so good from people who don't
It's hard to figure out how ocean going they are??
Old 27-10-2017, 17:03   #22
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
There's an FP Bahia 46 for sale on your side of the planet. From what I understand the Bahia was a pretty good sailing boat, and at 46 ft should be fairly roomy.

As Rigger Bruce pointed out the Bahia only has one shroud per side, but that's true of virtually all FP boats. The masts don't fall off or you would be hearing about it all over these boards. As would be true for any used boat, I would replace the shrouds on any 10 year or older boat as preventive maintenance.

1997 Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Yes there are a couple over East - It will be worth a visit to have a look. I will update rigging for sure - Last thing you need to go in the middle of nowhere!
Old 27-10-2017, 17:06   #23
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I think some of the best designed catamarans are from Australians. If that's where you are, I'd look at Schionnings, Lightwaves, Graingers, Seawinds, etc...
Haven't seen a Lightwave, SeaWinds are nice but small and over priced, Graingers look good, but not a fan of the schionnings - Great Daggerboard sailing boats, but very spartan inside (the ones i've seen online)
Old 27-10-2017, 18:06   #24

Just wanted to say be careful when looking at Catana’s. Some have a unique one off French wiring harness. A friends boat was struck by lightening and the entire boat had to be rewired to Internatioal Marine Standards...they couldn’t use any of the old wiring. It cost the insurance Co over 10000.00 just to rewire the entire boat. Can you imagine being in the Indian Ocean and not be able to quick replace at least some of your wiring for vhs, etc. The French wiring loom was undeciferable and in French. Just Saying!!
bob fleege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 19:26   #25

Boat: Voyage 430

I believe that you may be overlooking one of the best brands...VOYAGE
These boats are built in South Africa and sailed on their own bottoms to the BVI's. The Voyage has low freeboard and extremely beamy. The boat is fast & comfortable. After you check them out you may be surprised at how innovative the entire engineering is.
Have a look!
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 19:37   #26

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Lagoons look beautiful inside, but I really don't like the Flybridge - To far away from the action when docking and anything with a boom that high does not look safe to me - I presume they go with a smaller sail plan to accommodate the flybridge?
Otherwise I hear good things about lagoons from people who own them and not so good from people who don't
It's hard to figure out how ocean going they are??
I had two lagoons (380 & 400) cross the Indian ocean just ahead of me this year, they are now in South Africa, they did just fine, they seemed to fair as well as any other boat I came across, didn't hear owners complaining about their boats ocean going ability.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 00:30   #27
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan View Post
I believe that you may be overlooking one of the best brands...VOYAGE
These boats are built in South Africa and sailed on their own bottoms to the BVI's. The Voyage has low freeboard and extremely beamy. The boat is fast & comfortable. After you check them out you may be surprised at how innovative the entire engineering is.
Have a look!
Seen a Few online, but looked like Ex charter and not in Great Condition - Have you been on one? If so what is the cockpit/cabin space like?
The FP's and Lagoons seem really good in this area and is something needed to keep the better half happy
Old 28-10-2017, 00:32   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Seen a Few online, but looked like Ex charter and not in Great Condition - Have you been on one? If so what is the cockpit/cabin space like?
The FP's and Lagoons seem really good in this area and is something needed to keep the better half happy
I've been on a couple, I like them but extremely small bridge deck clearance.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 00:32   #29
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I had two lagoons (380 & 400) cross the Indian ocean just ahead of me this year, they are now in South Africa, they did just fine, they seemed to fair as well as any other boat I came across, didn't hear owners complaining about their boats ocean going ability.
I'll definitely have a look at Non-Flybridge versions. As I said earlier, the flybridge and high boom dosn't work for me - Something about it just screams 'WRONG' to me on a sailing cat
Old 28-10-2017, 01:32   #30
UFO

Anyone now anything about: Leopard 42, Privilege 445 (year 2006 and Year 1995) - They look like Bridgedeck Clearance is minimal, but its hard to tell from online pictures.