Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 07:15   #1

When is it too late to start living the dream?

I'm retiring this coming year. I've always sailed small sailboats, but never sailed a larger multihull and only up to a 26' monohull. I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years. At the end if I am still enjoying it and I can convince my wife to join me, I want to buy a 45' or so multihull and cruise the world. I am 60 now. In pretty good health at the moment. Is the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?

tydickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 07:28   #2

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: When is it too late to start living the dream?

All depends on your health. I know a number of members of my yacht club that sold their boats as they got into their mid-70s as they no longer felt confident sailing their own boats. Balance issues seemed to be the most common concern.
And I know others that are in their 80s that still own and sail their own boats.

Old 29-06-2020, 07:46   #3

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38

Age is only a number. Your as YOUNG as you feel physically and mentally.
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 08:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydickinson View Post
I'm retiring this coming year. I've always sailed small sailboats, but never sailed a larger multihull and only up to a 26' monohull. I want to educate myself on weather, navigation, sailing, maintenance, docking and so much more. I think this may take several years. At the end if I am still enjoying it and I can convince my wife to join me, I want to buy a 45' or so multihull and cruise the world. I am 60 now. In pretty good health at the moment. Is the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?
Iíve got six years on you and started long distance cruising
7 years ago. Alas crewing on others boats. Wife is definitely not into it and
I donít like to do the same passage twice. When Iím about 70 the plan is to buy
a Bahamas boat and explore them and the Caribbean till I set sail
for the celestial sea. I suggest you do a few passages on a Cat before you
purchase. Much to my surprise I found that I prefer monos.
Found them to be more sea kindly
My favorite boat by far was the Hylas 54
Loved the berth right next keel stepped mast.
Just me though, to each his own
YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 08:46   #5

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

I wonder, why would you chose a 45 foot cat for an older couple? That's a HUGE boat for two people! Both in terms of maintenance, financials, learning curve, and high loads that make things hard to handle in an emergency.

This is not at all intended as cat bashing, it's just I see a lot of people without sailing background buying cats simply because they look more like a house. For a lot of people a cat is the perfect boat, for a lot of people it is not.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 08:48   #6

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

When youíre dead.

If youíre 60 just means you have to move faster and want is more than some 20 or 30 something.

Good luck and have fun!
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 08:53   #7

Boat: Seaward 22

Personally, I think you need to figure out your spousal situation. I'm a few years behind you, and my wife will likely not go. However, she will fly down and meet me from time to time. This decision greatly impacts the boat I get.

I suggest you do a few 2 week charters with just you and your wife. Then you will have a much better idea. Yeah, it is a lot of money, but much cheaper than buying a 45' cat when you could go with a 40' mono.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:32   #8

Never too late, just might need a little modification. I am 73 and still keep adjusting.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:36   #9

Boat: Pedrick Cheoy Lee 41 offshore

It is too late when you think you will have regrets. Dreams never end, only life does.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:40   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
It is too late when you think you will have regrets. Dreams never end, only life does.
I love your quote.
srbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:41   #11

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

It's too late the second after you've drawn your last breath. Is the clock ticking? Yes! Will you have enough time to learn what you need to cruise the world? That is known but to God. Get moving.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:50   #12

Boat: O'Day 26

I would love to be 60 years of age and just considering purchasing larger boat and getting into serious cruising. As it is, I am about to turn 80 and in the process of planning my first trip, in my own boat, from Cape Cod, Massachusetts to the west coast of Florida via the AICW and GICW. Underwent bypass surgery last year, but arthritic problem poses most serious concern at present.
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:51   #13
Are you serious?

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydickinson View Post
IIs the clock ticking? Do I have the time to do all of this education and still be fit to cruise the world?
The clock is always ticking until it ................................. stops! Don't let yours stop before hand.

Yes you have time. It only takes a few days to read the basics and everything else can just be learned along the way just as well, if not better, than just sitting around waiting.
Old 29-06-2020, 09:52   #14

Boat: Outremer 51

Never - what have you got to lose?
You canít replace experience, but you can accelerate your learning curve. I signed up for a 6 month program with Yachtmaster sailing school in Cape Town during which I sailed 2,500 miles, learned navigation, diesel maintenance, STCW (first aid, safety at sea etc) radar operation, radio operators license, how to manage a boat and crew, all the basic boat operations, including docking, man overboard etc and got qualified to skipper offshore.

Also, once youíve done this, youíll really know how much you want to sail. Then, as suggested elsewhere, do a few charters with your wife to see what kind of boat you want to buy and to see whether she enjoys it too.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:53   #15

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

When is it too late to start living the dream? It is too late when you find you are always saying I can't do that and find excuses to NOT do something. If instead you list obstacles and find ways to overcome them, you will be good to go.

Some people are old regardless of their physical age. Others will be young no matter how many years pass. If a guy with one arm can go sailing, so can you. If a guy with no legs can live the dream, so can you.

You may have to make adjustments. There is a guy in my yacht club who is well into his nineties and rest assured, he is no longer grinding. He brings people who do the reefing, handle the winches, etc. The point is that he didn't say he can't do that. He asked what he had to do to overcome his limitations. Eric Forsyth (Yacht Fiona) has been blue water cruising for decades and well into his eighties. He has circumnavigated several times including the Northwest Passage, and has over 200,000 miles of water sailing">blue water sailing under his belt, many of which were in his eighties. There are many others likewise who found a way.

Good luck with your quest!

ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote